Be Alert!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Alert!!

Bad accident this morning. Biker hit on right side from car coming off secondary street. Most likely is going to lose foot. So just wanted to send a reminder that no one is looking out for you but you. Be safe. Be alert.

Tex
    1981 XS1100H

Quando omni flunkus moritati

When all else fails, play dead.

Yeah, that's the situation that scares me the most. Even when they make eye contact I'm just not sure that they really see me. I constantly work to remember that nobody out there sees me, except for the ones who do and hate bikers/riders and are trying to make a statement by killing as many of them as they can. Just because they look you in the eye doesn't mean that what their eye is seeing made it to their brain, and even if it did, it doesn't mean the recognized what they saw.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I beep at them, almost all of them, whenever I'm approaching an intersection and I see a cager stopped, and they give any sort of indication of moving I beep my horn (and its a loud one). I'm sure it annoys people but I'd rather be considered and a-hole for beeping all the time then be road-kill.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

2 daze ago, a woman in a SUV pulled out in front of my bright red & silver F-250 Powerstroke. She never even looked at us. I drive with lights on. No rush, no traffic, just numb brain. Couldn't see a cell phone either. It made me think about how much smaller and less visible a bike is. BTW, I found a seller of 55 watt HID Hi/low headlights. Wilts flowers at 100 yds. Might get one.
        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

And then after the near-miss, they look at you like "What did I do?". Jack-asses!
          Richard
          '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
          '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

And I hope the guys foot will be alright.
            Richard
            '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
            '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Remember its not just the cages on the road. You have to look out for other riders. A friend of mine lost his foot riding in NH. He was going around a sharp corner when another ride came from the opposite direction, crossed the double yellow line and hit him. He was in the hospital for a couple of weeks. The doctors tried to save his foot, but there was too much damage.

As we all know we all have to be careful out there.
              Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
              Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
              Pod Filters
              DynoJet Kit
              T.C.'s Fuse Block
              Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
              Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
              V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by MrOzz View Post
                As we all know we all have to be careful out there.
                I'll add a simple Amen!! Its stuff like this that reminds me I am one of the lucky ones. My bones will eventually grow back, and I am walking, working, driving, and enjoying life. I came out ahead on the deal, I still have all my parts plus some extra titanium ones.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Hey Don, you probably lost weight!

Going Titanium instead of bone...

Heluva weight loss plan though!

Glad you are healing up well.

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                    Going Titanium instead of bone...

Heluva weight loss plan though!

Glad you are healing up well.

John
                    It's too bad they couldn't have done the upgrade to Adamantium, then he could ride without fear of breaking anything. Of course then he would be tougher than the bike.
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Ohh...I still got my bones, whats left of them anyway. I just got the added hardware to go with it. The Tibia (main lower leg bone) got a 10mm titanium rod inserted through the center of the bone and screwed in place. Without the rod I would not be walking yet, probably not for another 6 months. The collar bone got a titanium plate with eight screws to pull it all back together. So, all added but pretty light.

Now I get to go straight to the full body cavity search line at the airport instead of all those cool detectors that blow the womens skirts up.

You know, I always wondered if the adamantium was the secret or the fact he self heals. Having kids of about the correct age, I kept telling the docs I wanted the nurse from Harry Potter to give me that medicine that regrows bones overnight. Instead I got fish oil, and metamucil.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

I dont know if people are getting stupider or there are more bikes on the road. But it seems we have had more serious accidents this year so far than previous years. I am afaird he is going to lose his foot. I flew him out and the flight medic contacted and said he needed an above the ankle amputation.

Tex
                        1981 XS1100H

Quando omni flunkus moritati

When all else fails, play dead.

Comment

Originally posted by TexinMaine View Post
                          I dont know if people are getting stupider or there are more bikes on the road. But it seems we have had more serious accidents this year so far than previous years. I am afaird he is going to lose his foot. I flew him out and the flight medic contacted and said he needed an above the ankle amputation.

Tex
                          I was reading an article in the paper, I know not the internet lol, a while back and more people were buying bike due to the rising gas prices. I have a feeling thats its both. More bikes and stupider people. Hopefully all will work out for him.
                          Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                          Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                          Pod Filters
                          DynoJet Kit
                          T.C.'s Fuse Block
                          Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                          Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                          V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                            Now I get to go straight to the full body cavity search line at the airport instead of all those cool detectors that blow the womens skirts up.
                            Well, the last couple of airports I have gone through have new x-ray tech that lets them see the contents of pockets etc. I'm guessing those would show the new hardware. (and a few other things besides)

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                            You know, I always wondered if the adamantium was the secret or the fact he self heals. Having kids of about the correct age, I kept telling the docs I wanted the nurse from Harry Potter to give me that medicine that regrows bones overnight. Instead I got fish oil, and metamucil.
                            Well, doing some reading, it's the healing that made the adamantium possible. So, if it had been possible, you wouldn't have really needed it because you would have already been healed by the time they got to you.
                            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            750 FD Mod
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

My wife saw a bike vs SUV last night. I didn't press her for details, she was very shaken up. What little she told me, it sounded like the rider didn't make it.
                              Mike C
                              Lake Orion, Michigan
                              '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X