Emergency assist info please San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency assist info please San Diego

Riding back to my friends had the clutch cable snap as I entered freeway. Drove close to his house on 163 and Miramar Rd and he's coming with vise grips so I can drive away.

Question is where in San Diego can I get a replacement clutch cable ASAP without ordering it? Even used is good. If anyone has a spare I'd buy it until I can order a new one.

Thanks,
    John

two-one-zero four-seven-eight one-eieght-three-two
    cell
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

we are in central cal

Sorry were out of town try kon tiki motorcycles
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Have you used Central Cycle Supply??

I was told by dealer on phone they custom make cables? On Convoy at Clairemont area...

They dont open till Tuesday. I will call Kon Tiki on Monday and see if I can get it sooner. Got the old cable off anyway.

I figured most would be at the Rally...wish I could go but glad this didnt happen on a long trip!

John (currently in San Diego)

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Well if you are stuck there on Convoy, just head up to Clairmont Mesa and hang a right. Right there is what I call the "Man Mall". Sporting Goods store, Big and Tall store, Woodworking store, Cigar store and a T&B Bar to boot. Probably should be able to find someting to do till Tues.

Hope the rest of your ride is less eventful, in the negative sense.
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

A couple of years ago my throttle cable broke. I got new one to install and a spare throttle and clutch cable to keep in the trunk. Probally the best way to make sure they never break. When I was growing up a friend of my dads rode a BSA. He had taken a throttle and clutch cable and ran them along the side of the cables that were already on the bike. He fastened them with some electrical tape. He said if he broke a cable he was able to be up and running in minutes.
          78E ... Gone but not forgotten
          2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Not stuck on road...

I was able to drive it to my buddy's with the Vise-Grips (which i should add to the trunk).

I am going to have 2 cables made and replace the one on Great Ranger in San Antonio too and use its current OK one as a spare.

That Man-Mall area is a good descriptor. I remember there are surplus stores, pawn shops, tool stores, just a bit of everything over off Convoy from when I lived here and it hasnt changed much. But what is a T&B bar?

John

Comment

Might not still be there but there was a topless bar at the end of the complex. Thus Ti** & Bu**...
              RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I see now

T&B...

I will have to check on it...

John

Comment

Quote: Might not still be there but there was a topless bar at the end of the complex. Thus Ti** & Bu**...

You know, every good thread needs pictures....
                  "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

cable

ANy Yamaha store should have it or get it the next day as its very common part to replace. We xs members just got back from the rally in Central Cal. I have a used one but you would need to drive to escondido to pick it up, but there is a big Yamaha dealer right on highway 78, and usually they can get parts same day or next......Mike
                    mike
                    1982 xj1100 maxim
                    1981 venture bagger
                    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                    1959 wife

Comment

thanks mike...

I will try my plan to have it made tomorrow at Cycle Supply on Convoy, but if for some reason they balk or delay I may hit you up to buy your used one until I can order the new one. Driving to Escondido is not a problem.

It is only complicated by the fact that I don't live here and need to insure I take care of it during this week that it is a problem - if I have to order and it isn't here by Thursday then I am SOL until my next trip out here probably in August.

John

Comment

Cycle Supply

Well it looks like Cycle Supply is going to come through for Rising Sun's broken clutch cable - they are custom making the cable for $19.99 and I will have it tomorrow - other places had to back order and even a few days delay was too much when you don't live where the bike is broken. (I am leaving for Vegas on Friday and nothing should get in the way of Vegas baby!)

This way I fix it and it is ready to ride again when I leave so when I get back I am not messing with it. I am having a second cable made for Great Ranger back home in San Antonio and I will hold it's current one in reserve as a spare.

Thanks for all the support and suggestions guys - I appreciate it.

John

Comment

Got new cable on...

And a new lever and it feels nice and tight, but clutch is always engaged! Looks like I need to find some more slack in the system if I am going to be ridable

I thought I had turned in the adjuster enough to compensate for a new cable and was leaving it for the night - my wife says "Aren't you going to start it and test it?" I was like no I'll wait till tomorrow, all confident but she talked me into it and then I looked like a dummy when there was no gear engagement....

Lucky she won't gloat for long.

John

Comment

Refer to tech. Tips you must adjust on the motor side first then adjust the slack on the bars
                            91 kwaka kz1000p
                            Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Thanks all better now...

Riding great now. Cant wait to get back to San Diego.

Comment

Working...
                              X