No announcement yet.

Tom-tom, Garmin or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 on the Garmin. Use mine in the truck as opposed to the bike, but it's great.
    1980 xs 11 special
    1969 camaro pro street project (for sale)

Comment

I am a truck driver. I use a Navigon 5100max. I tried 7 others before settling for this one. I don't go for all the bells and whistles (mp3, digital video, etc). I like that it does one thing and does it well. Spoken directions, lane assist, traffic updates all work well in guiding me. It is also a hands-free, bluetooth, speaker phone with dialing capabilities but I don't use this function. I use a Blueparrot headset for phone functions.
      My previous GPS was a Mio Digiwalker. Quite happy with that one too but it became obsolete.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I use a Magellan Maestro...works great under the clear map pocket of a tank bag..no worries about it getting wet that way.
        Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Don't mean to interupt the train of thought ,I am a map person but remember seeing this..
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPtDx...eature=related
          '80 XS1100 SG
          Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Well, I do appreciate everyone's input. I would have liked to pick up the Zumo type one but financial reasoning said no can do. I went in and did some comparison shopping and asked many many questions. I decided on a Garmin nuvi 265WT. I would have liked one that was more vibration proof but I will use it primarily in my work truck so that is not as much of a problem. Thanks again guys.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I did mine in........

Hey all,
              I see it's been a month or so since the last update on technology info, so I thought it may be time for some new input and I ruined mine .

I had a Nuvi 500 and really liked it for my bike, (waterproof, handlebar mounting, custom routes, ect.) car, boat, (Waterproof, records max. speed , did not use it for marine navigation) and snowmobile (Waterproof, loaded Red Pine maps). Although I did not use it much at all on my snowmibile (4.5 miles to be exact), because it fell off and got ran over. So I cannot give much of an opinion of it on snowmobiling, but did like it. I can give more info. on the others if anyone cares to know. I will look at a differant way of mounting it on my sled in the future or any other gps for that matter. It states in the review that the 500/550 is not motorcycle friendly??? Anyone have a motorcycle friendly one? What's that all about?

Anybody have any new info on what they have and how it may fit what I do? Or what may be new on the market that may worth looking into?
              Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

GPS mounts

In need for mounts for M/C, snowmobile, etc.?
                Check www.ram-mount.com.
                They have a great product and a lot of choices.
                Good luck.
                79 XS1100F.
                SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
                TC's fuse box.
                SOFA filter.
                Venture cam chain adjuster.
                Tkat fork brace.
                Progressive fork springs.

Comment

Wow

Thanks for the link. Looks like they have come up with a better ball/swivel piece than that I had bought and that's the part that failed on my Garmin and also my fathers Tom Tom. Never had a problem on the motorcycle, but both of ours fell off in under 5 miles on our sleds.
                  Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

Blinc

My riding buddy and I just bought the Blinc M-1 from Blinctech.com. Very nice because it will connect to your bluetooth phone, GPS, I-pod and does helmet to helmet or bike to bike and can be had at Amazon for $99. Clips on the helmet, has sterio speakers, etc.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Cool.
                      I was wondering about somekind of head set system for communication and music.
                      If one of you has bluetooth gps does it transmitt over both head sets? And likewise music? And does communication transmitt over navigation and music? How does that work? Hoping that it's not all transmitting at the same time? Reason why I'm asking is if there is 2 plus people with this, kinda might be a party. And Dad surely will NOT like my music. lol
                      Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

Flatlander

Go to cardosystems.com, this company has the latest driver to pax or bike to bike technology and will answer any questions about usage.
                        They are expensive though.
                        Good luck.
                        79 XS1100F.
                        SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
                        TC's fuse box.
                        SOFA filter.
                        Venture cam chain adjuster.
                        Tkat fork brace.
                        Progressive fork springs.

Comment

Tried the Garman, and the Tom-Tom. Never tried the Magellin, but when I rode the Handycap van with my buddy ( a vet) they had one, and he said it wasn't worth a dime... My personal preferance is the Garman
                          There are only two types of bikers...
                          those that have layed it down, and
                          those that have not layed it down...YET!

1982 XJ1100J Maxim (F-Bomb)
                          Not going to lie, Brand new at this... thanks for having a bit of patience with dumb questions

Comment

Originally posted by Kronk View Post
                            Tried the Garman, and the Tom-Tom. Never tried the Magellin, but when I rode the Handycap van with my buddy ( a vet) they had one, and he said it wasn't worth a dime... My personal preferance is the Garman
                            Well, from what I've seen and heard, Magellan has the best navigation interface, and Garmin has much better maps, and Tom-Tom may well have the best maps, Magellan seems to pretty clearly have the worst and oldest maps, and they often don't provide updates, while both Garmin and Tom-Tom seem to do pretty well with updates for older models.

However, for most of that stuff I have gone to using my phone, which seems to have the most up to date maps and stuff. Yeah I pay monthly, but there are actually other options that put everything on the phone and don't require network connectivity to work and don't require a monthly fee, but by the time you figure in a cost of a unit with all the features of VZNavigator plus keeping it updated, and it's not really too bad of a deal. Higher end models by the time you get the traffic service for them, come out about the same per year, so I figure it as a wash. Plus if I know I'm not going to be using it I can just turn it off till I'm going to need it. However, I tend to use it about once a month or more so far. I do need to get the mount for it though, that's an extra $40. I used to be very much NOT a fan of all in one devices, but for the price the phone costs me and everything it does, separate devices would cost around 5 times as much, and the darn thing actually does the job almost as well as the dedicated devices.
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I have three Magellans in my family (one for SWMBO, one for daughter, and one for me). I drive alot for work, projects all over the place. It has never failed to get me where I needed or wanted to go.

That said, there have been LOCAL places some of my kids friends houses where it does not even know the street exist, and its at least 5 years old or more.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X