1978 xs11 lh side cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 xs11 lh side cover

Mornin', can somebody please post a picture of a '78 xs11 LH side cover or failing that, can you tell me if it is a mirror of the RH? I have decided to forgo the losing of my mind trying to find one, and just fabricate one out of Aluminum and I can't even find a PIC of one of the elusive covers on the net. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!
    "Pardon him Theodotus: he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

It's a mirror image except for a tab that hangs down that has the lock catch on it; that's the part that always breaks (the lock catch)...

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If you're going to mfg one, here's what the latch piece looks like.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

neber mind
        Last edited by dpotter58; 06-07-2010, 11:55 AM. Reason: i'm a dumb azz
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
          I can send you pictures of covers for an 81 LH. The LHs were made in 1981. Do you need an LH picture or pictures of covers for a 1978 model?
          He's looking for the Left-Hand (LH) side cover for a '78.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Thanks and thanks

Hey Cat, I don't suppose you have the engineering drawing of the cover too?
            "Pardon him Theodotus: he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

Comment

I have a couple of 78E left hand side covers here. I will see if I can get you some pics this afternoon.
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by thelazylizard View Post
                Hey Cat, I don't suppose you have the engineering drawing of the cover too?
                No, sorry... The only reason I made that drawing was to fab a new latch for the one that broke off of my old side cover. I can handle straight lines, but the compound angles of the side cover itself is beyond my drawing abilities.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Thanks all

That's okay Cat, it's probably beyond the scope of my fabrication abilities too but what the hell? I'll give it the ole' college try!!

Comment

pics

Here is a pic of the left side on a 78E. I took 17 pictures for you, but I wont put them all on here. You can go to http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll77/Rasputin460/
                    to see all I took. I was going to email them to you but it would be a 7.5MB email so I figure this is easier.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                    X