Another great riding day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another great riding day

SWMBO and I took the bikes out today. I was on the Scorpion and she was on Rosie.

We have this route that is really fun to ride. It takes us out of College Station, down to Carlos, over to Anderson, across to Navasota, up through Cawthon, Millican and back to College Station. Little over 80 miles I guess, but what a blast!

Except, today, the Scorpion decided to lose power just ouside of Anderson. WTF? Couldn't tell if it was a fuel issue, or a pickup coil issue. So, we pulled over, SWMBO is learning more technical moves, like stopping suddenly and pulling of into a gravel driveway.

Turn off the Scorpion, turn it back on and it's running great again. WTF?

OK, so off we go, get outside of Anderson, and the Scorpion loses power again. WTF? I babied her and pulled over at a cattle auction facility. SWMBO was laughing at all the cows "mooing," cheering eachother to their impending death, she guessed. It did sound pretty funny though!

Pull out the tools, checked to see if fuel was in the bowls, check. Pulled the cover off the pickups and checked wires and advance action, check. Noticed that I lost two wingnut bolts that hold the air cleaner up, d'oh! ebay, here I come.

We decided to cut the ride short and just head up Hwy 6 home. Started the Scorpion up, and it ran perfectly. So, off we went. We were kicking it up Hwy 6, 70+ MPH and the Scorpion is running perfectly!

I decided to take a chance and SWMBO and I went to "Fat Burger" to have dinner. I am not kidding, the restaurant is called "Fat Burger."

Had a great meal with great company, and home we went. The Scorpion ran perfectly all the way home. WTF?

Oh well, and so it goes with the Scorpion. But it pulled 35 MPH today, and it was 95° F!

Life is Good!
    Gone but never Forgotten:
    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Glad y'all were able to get out for a good ride... and it DOES sound like it was a good one.

But do you think Scorpion might be a little jealous of Kermit and was just letting you know he wasn't pleased to have the competition?
    lol

Good to see you!
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Sounds like fun to me. I'd check the fual cap vent.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Thanks, Kat! Been spending a lot of time with Drew and his Virago.

It is running, but the voltage regulator is bad, and we have a new one in-bound, so maybe this week, we will be finished with the mechanicals, and can get it inspected.

It has after market pipes, and sounds like a Harley! I rescued it from a friend at work... That seems to be the modus operandi for the Mouchyn's acquiring bikes these days!

Here's a pic:

The filler cap "looks" OK, but I have not taken it apart yet.

SWMBO and I are gonna do a ride to Brenham today, to go to the airport for lunch, and I'll see how the Scorpion runs.

You know, jealousy might be a big part in this! I remember Kermit or Scorpion pushing over Rosie the night I brought her home! To this day, neither has confessed!
        Gone but never Forgotten:
        1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
        2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
        2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

A real quick and easy way to check your fuel cap vent is to fill the tank, then hook up a drain line to your fuel tank, and drain your gas into a gas can. You should be able to hear the tank vent hissing as it sucks air, and you should have good flow into the gas can. Once you're done, just pour the gas back into your tank.
          '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

I agree with DGXSER, sounds like the vent is not working properly. Bigfoot had the exact same problem At Bob Jones last weekend and that's what it turned out to be.

To check the EASIER way is to open up the cap when it happens and if your power comes back......problem solved.

Comment

Working...
            X