Am I the only one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one

Who imagines what could go wrong and tries to replace the part before it goes bad?
    Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

why would you replace good working parts? Couldn't the new parts go "wrong" as well. Maybe I misunderstand what your saying, I will try to improve something that is a weak point - 1st/2nd gear for example, or the clutch, if I have access to more reliable parts, and my parts are showing signs of wear or failure. I won't take off a good part and go plunk down good money at the dealer for a "new" one just because mine is 30yrs old though.\

edit, I just re-read that and I guess I think I have to add it depends on the consequences of a failure as well, I just replaced my brake lines and rebuilt my master cylinders, there was nothing wrong with the parts I had, they functioned fine but the consequence of a failure in that system is possible death and the parts are 30 yrs and 70k miles old. On the other hand my battery looks as if it could be the one that came in the bike in 79, I've been using it for 3yrs now and who knows how long the PO used it, I have no intention of replacing it though, because a failure of the battery simply leaves me looking for a jump start from a stranger.
    Last edited by psycoreefer; 06-04-2010, 05:20 PM.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Maybe I should have said maintenance taken to far? I mean all these parts are 30 years old, so instead of cleaning wheel bearings and inspecting them, replace them all. I bought a new recifier not because I needed one, just to get a new better one. Understand? heh *smokin
      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

In general I agree. Look at all the tech tips on "modifications". Basically the same concept.

Honestly, unless you have owned the bike its entire life, your guessing if those bearings are 30 years old. In my case, they could be only two years old since that is how long I've owned the bike. So if they do nto show signs of being worn out, why not just regrease and save the parts for when they are needed.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I replace and upgrade..

A 30 year old bike with 30,000 or less miles makes me worry about dried grease, seals and flat spots on the bearings. These things I replace, partly because I get most of the bearings for about $10, so I would rather put down the few dollars and make sure it was good than worry that I have a cracked or damaged cage that I will find out about later, far far from home.

I do not go into the engine unless there is evidence of a problem like compression or skippy gears. I upgraded fork springs to progressives on the one I am riding, so put on new fork seals rather than put old ones back in there.

I did upgrade to OMP's regulator but wanted the better charge at lower rpm, I carry a spare ignition box and would only put it in if the one in the bike failed.

Scott
          I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Oh Yeah!
            While I have things apart I definitely do replace stuff I am not sure of. Why would someone go through the hassle of removing forks, triple trees etc to change bearings and not do the fork seals? For what they are worth it is not a big deal. Of course everything in moderation as some things just cost too much and can wait. Most decisions are made due to cost, parts availability, and mechanical experience, but some are just preventative and are worth it. Too each his own in that respect, but I ere on the side of replacing stuff before it is broken.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Nope you're not the only one.My motto is"if you have to remove it,replace it"I like to work on my bike but not when I'm supposed to be riding it.I don't trust 30 year old parts.

Terry
              1980 special (Phyllis)
              1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

In most cases i agree with you guys, but when it comes to bearings, the grease being hard can be remedied by cleaning and regreasing. The seals pop right off. The metal does not fatigue i don't believe just because it gets older. If it is something i can look over, and it looks good, then it can stay.
                1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                A quick death and an easy one.
                A pretty girl and an honest one.
                A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                  In most cases i agree with you guys, but when it comes to bearings, the grease being hard can be remedied by cleaning and regreasing. The seals pop right off. The metal does not fatigue i don't believe just because it gets older. If it is something i can look over, and it looks good, then it can stay.
                  Been there done that and a year later did it again. Steering head bearings to be specific. For the 19 or so bucks it cost to replace them I would not go through the work involved to do so. I wish I would have done it while I had it apart.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Yeah

It's called preventive maintenance but you do have to have a track record to perform it properly. Most people do not want to go into the statistics and chart out a replacement schedule but instead make a reasonable good guess while doing other work. +1 to changing all items that are prone to short life expectancy (or catastrophic failure) while you have it apart. You do have to have some idea of the working life of an item to not be just wasting money. Cost and safety must enter the equation. Upgrading is actually a side issue comprised of fixing a known defect and/or personal preference.
                    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                    Original except:
                    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Working...
                    X