A Proud Dad....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Proud Dad....

...Took his little girl skydiving today. It was my daughters 19th birthday last Saturday and it was a very special day. Some of you may know that over that last few months she has had a battle with cancer and for a time we thought she might not see this birthday. She/we fought the battle for almost a year and I'm pleased to say that it looks like she's won, so today we celebrated the win and her birthday and drove to Queenstown so she could jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane.

It was actually her 18th birthday present but she first got sick shortly after her 18th and has had to wait a year to do it.

Now she's talking about paying for another jump for her and me on my birthday.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

That is awesome I have two daughters and I don't know how I would cope if something like that would happen
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

So VERY cool!

What a way to celebrate!

and you have a lovely daughter, Brian... SOOO glad that she is doing well and that you were both able to enjoy the day together.
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Wow Brian, No words cold possibly describe the way that had to feel for you. My daughter is 16 1/2 (going on 30, if you know what I mean), and we have discussed doing this together. But to have survived such a brutal and ruthless disease as well, she is a brave young lady.

Happy B-day and a many years of adventure for you all!!!!!
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Thanks guys, and Kat. After almost losing her, watching her take off to jump out of a plane at 12000 feet was an interesting feeling, and my heart was in my mouth until she was safely back on the ground, but the look of sheer joy on her face for that last few feet before touchdown will never be forgotten.

We had a great day.
          Last edited by b.walker5; 06-02-2010, 05:07 AM.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

From an old Screaming Eagle with the 101st Airborne Division, all I can say is

GERONIMO!

Glad things are looking up for you all and best wishes.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing well. I can understand your mixed feelings watching her jump out of a plane too. My daughter(who is now 20) asked me to build her a demolition derby car.So I did. She did great though
              and it was awesome to get to do something together like that.
              80 SG XS1100
              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

As I've been through that when my son was 16, I think I can say I know how you feel. It is great when they get over the first hard hump, and even better once everything is done. My son chose to try flying, rather than jumping. Me, I've 16 jumps with the 82nd airborne in the mid 70's. All I can say is she is probably hooked, and yes, you DO need to try it!
                As a blackhat said in jump school, "It's the MOST fun you can have with your pants on!"
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have 6 daughters and I can't begin to imagine the heartache that you have gone through. Congratulations on beating it and having the chance to see her jump out of that perfectly good plane. Hopefully the two of you can to the next jump together.
                  Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                  80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                  82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                  82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                  82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                  72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                  72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Hi, Brian...
                    As you probably know, my own daughter just turned 18 and graduated HS last week. I can't possibly imagine what this ordeal must have been like for you, but I can imagine how I'd feel if it were my Sarah.

So glad to hear she's doing better.
                    You've got a real cutie on your hands there, and that must've been a blast!
                    She'll be in my prayers for continued health.

Looked like one of those "remember it for the rest of my life" days!
                    Too Cool!
                    Take care.
                    Bob
                    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Happy Birthday to your daughter. Glad to hear that all has worked out . Get ready to jump with your daughter on your birthday.
                      Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                      Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                      Pod Filters
                      DynoJet Kit
                      T.C.'s Fuse Block
                      Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                      Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Great story, on both counts! Thanks for sharing it. Congratulations (X2) to your daughter, and kudos to you as a terrific dad.
                        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

thats great news!!!congrats
                          when in doubt...get a bigger hammer
                          '78 XS11e, '79 XS11sf,'81 Mazda RX7, '83 XJ650lj Turbo, '95 Ford F150, '93 Chevy K2500, '04 Honda Pilot,
                          '89 Arctic Cat Wildcat, '89 Arctic Cat El Tigre 530, '81 Arctic Cat Trailcat 340, '79 john deere trailfire 440,
                          '78 Cadillac Seville
                          Don't steal the government hates competition

Comment

Kinda choked up

Yeah that's the way I would feel. Brian, I am SO happy for you and your daughter. I hope she has whipped it.
                            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                            Original except:
                            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                              ...Took his little girl skydiving today. It was my daughters 19th birthday last Saturday and it was a very special day. - - -
                              Hi Brian,
                              my morbid fear of heights is NOT the reason I live in Saskatchewan but I find that even thinking about skydiving makes me queasy.
                              But your daughter's hopefully successful battle with cancer makes me realize that my own concerns about both my daughters disastrous choice in husbands is simply nothing worth worrying about.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X