Bee in your bonnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bee in your bonnet?

Just curious. Last fall out for a nice ride and caught a bumble bee in a fold in my jeans. After the first sensation, looked down, didn't see anything, and the stinging continued. After about 2 minutes, I pulled over and found the bee. Took about 3 months for the discoloration to disappear.
    Monday out for another ride. Stinging sensation on my shoulder at 70 mph. Thought I hit something. Couple of minutes later...stinging sensation at my waist. Got home took my shirt off and I had a yellow jacket wasp inside. Hit me seven times. Must be just my luck. I thought the first one was a fluke, now again. Anyone else having problems? Not seen this on a thread.
    '81 XS11 LH (MNS)

"On a scale of 1 to 10, I have an eleven!"

"Excess is easier to say than XS,"

Two times over the years I have had the same exact experience with yellowjackets.

Riding along in traffic and one hit me on the upper chest, then bounced up into my full face helmet and landed on the top of the chinbar against the shield, stunned.

Both times I was lucky enough to be able to pull over and get the critter out without getting stung before it could get it's act together.

Whew...
    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Yep, I get 'em up the sleeves and in my cut off jeans fairly often. I usually just keep riding and tough it out.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

bee

Many years ago, while riding a Harley Dog with a leather jacket on a warm day, I had my jacket open almost to the bottom, when I ran into a swarm of bees.Almost died
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

I usually just keep riding and tough it out.

Did you know that you can go to h&!! for lying too?!
          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Had one (bumble bee) fly right in my helmet at 80 mile an hour once. Seen him coming and there wasnt a damn thing I could do about it. I was layed right over on a left hand corner at the time and any sudden moves would have been disasterous My visor was up, which it usually was, and he entered just beside my right eye and got lodged in my ear lobe, but he never stung me. He must have been the wrong way round or something. I managed to get round the corner and stop (in a mild state of panic) and get my helmet off without being stung, and he fell to the ground, dusted himself off, did a couple or brrrr brrrr's with his wings (presumably to check they were working) and flew away.

I used to smoke in those days, and I went through a few before I carried on.

I've never ridden with my visor up since.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
              Did you know that you can go to h&!! for lying too?!
              Lol. Ok, you got me there. I'll stop only if possible. Sometimes you just can't or you'll be run over.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Makes me glad I choose to ride behind a fairing! I've been stung by one yellowjacket, and that is the most painful sting I have ever felt!! I'm seriously allergic to honeybee stings, but it turns out, not to yellowjackets.

I never thought of ATGATT applying to insect defence, but I suppose it makes sense! The chin dam on my full-face just recieved a new task - keeping bugs out!
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

ATGATT for bugs! You bet. Even in Oklahoma heat. Full face helmet and fairing. Face it. You're gonna sweat. Why sweat and sting both? BTW, ATGATT is comfortable where I live now.
                  1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Poprock View Post
                    ATGATT for bugs! You bet. - - - -
                    Hi Poprock,
                    sometimes even ATGATT don't work. I dunno what kinda bug it was, I just saw a black dot heading at me, but it nailed the 1/2" gap between my helmet chinpiece and my jacket throatband. Musta hit me in the throat stinger first, injected it's venom and bounced off. Luckily I was only a mile from home and so was able to dope my neck with afterbite while I could still breathe.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Nothing as exciting as a couple of the stories...

Man! 7 times?

and a swarm of bees rover?
                      Glad you're still with us...

(again)

I got hit by something when John and I were out for a ride a few years ago. I didn't think much of it as bug strikes are pretty normal... but a few seconds later I felt something on my shoulder. My shirt was tucked in so it took a second to pull it out to shake out whatever it was... Realization that it was a wasp struck me just after it stung me. It didn't take long after that for me to pull over and let him out... just not before he got me once again for good measure.
                      I was stung one other time that I can sort of remember... but it didn't make as big of an impression as this encounter.
                      81 SH Something Special
                      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                      80 LG Black Magic
                      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                      For those on FB

Comment

I got hit, or hit, a bird one day. Good thing I had a helmet on. He would have stuck me in the head.
                        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                        79 DT 100

Comment

When I was about 20 I was in my little Mazda pickup truck driving on the freeway to Portland with a friend and a wasp flew in the window vent.

My friend went into full panic mode and started screaming and thrashing around the cab of the truck (very distracting).

I yelled at him to calm the **** down and gimmee your wallet. He yanked out his wallet and gave it to me, and I reached over and used it to smash the wasp against the windshield.

When he calmed down a bit he looked at me and said "Umm thanks, I think...", as he scraped off the wasp goo from his wallet with the bottom of his shoe...lol..
                          Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Oh well as long as this generated some stories. At least it was not a starling's beak that had to be surgically removed from my sternum. Happened a couple of years ago according to the urban legend sources.
                            '81 XS11 LH (MNS)

"On a scale of 1 to 10, I have an eleven!"

"Excess is easier to say than XS,"

Comment

On the way home last night from work had a bumble bee upside down inbetween where the seat meets the tank (stinger up) this area is right around you know where. slowed down to 40 kms drying to dig it outta there with my finger - it finally flung out. Then I hammered the throttle at 40kms/yr in 5th & the bike took off like a shot till I hit 100kms. These bikes keep amazing me with the power. Would of never tried that without the incident. So thx Mr.Bumble - Dan
                              '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                              1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                              Rebuilt head, valves
                              TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                              Tkat Fork Brace
                              T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                              Dyna Coils & wires
                              Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                              ISO grips with stelleto ends
                              4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                              Bridgestone Spitfires
                              Tuned by Tinman905
                              & a will to keep it.

Comment

Working...
                              X