Fairing/ windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing/ windshield?

Well, I got the bike up and running pretty good. I left off the upper (fairing) that was on it, and bought a slipstreamer. Hardly ever rode with one, except on a beemer years ago. I initially had reservations, but now I'm spoiled. Personally, I think it looks great (almost invisible), and works great. Must be getting lazy. I noticed quite a few of you run 'shields of some sort. What are the favorites, likes/ dislikes, especially pics, etc? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this. (I'll post some pics of mine if I can get some downloaded).
    BTW- thanks again to all for all the help in getting the bike lined out.
    1980 xs 11 special
    1969 camaro pro street project (for sale)

When I first got my bike, it didn't have anything up front. I felt like a human parachute riding down the freeway, and could barely hold on! So I bought a Plexistar II and really liked it. However, I like the looks of a larger fairing, so when another XSive wanted to part with his Windjammer fairing, I jumped at the chance. I like the fact that the fairing holds the headlight straight forward instead of moving it with the forks, and I like the extra storage space, power plug, and radio. I have never personally used a Pacifico fairing, but it has been mentioned that the Pacifico was the best full fairing for these bikes.

I think its just a matter of opinion, and what style you like personally.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      When I first got my bike, it didn't have anything up front. I felt like a human parachute riding down the freeway, and could barely hold on! So I bought a Plexistar II and really liked it. However, I like the looks of a larger fairing, so when another XSive wanted to part with his Windjammer fairing, I jumped at the chance. I like the fact that the fairing holds the headlight straight forward instead of moving it with the forks, and I like the extra storage space, power plug, and radio. I have never personally used a Pacifico fairing, but it has been mentioned that the Pacifico was the best full fairing for these bikes.

I think its just a matter of opinion, and what style you like personally.
      I agree, my preference is for the later Pacifico as it retains the square indicators and has nice lines (to my eye) however the "interior" is identical to the vetter so wind protection is the same.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

pacifico

the wiring is kinda funky but as far as aerodynamics , the pacifico is better , no barn door like the later yamaha fairings , I havent checked out a real Vetter on one of these xs but I have heard they are good . I can ride along at 80 mph and it is smooth sailing
        91 kwaka kz1000p
        Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

I've got a vetter III, I like the protection and storage it offers, and don't hate the looks, but don't really like the way it looks either. I only run it when its cold outside, or if I'm going on a trip where the weather looks questionable.

In the summer I run small sport shield, a national cycle F4. I like the way it looks and it really helps to keep the wind off my chest so I don't get tired on long high-speed runs.

It takes me about an hour to swap from one to the other, if you include the time it takes me to find tools and pull/put the vetter up on the wall in the garage.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
          X