78XS1100

Comment

Originally posted by joceiphus View Post
      So...
      Who's got the oldest running XS now?
      That would STILL be draketrumpet Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit77 View Post
        one good thing was I landed in grass though. Did not hit the helmet that hard cause the post stopped me but will get it check out!
        Hey man, fair warning. . . when I went through the MSF course we were told do NOT put our helmets on our seats when we stopped between the exercises. That a 3-4 foot drop can significantly damage a helmet and reduce it's effectiveness in a crash even though there is no visible damage. I would really take it to a GOOD helmet dealer to get it professionally inspected or just go and buy a new one anyway. Sorry for the bad news.
        1980 XS11SG
        Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
        Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
        ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Seems to me, if that were true, none of us could actually own helmets!

Tell me you haven't, ever, dropped your helmet... knocked it off the shelf, had it slip out of your hands, etc.

Mine has been dropped many times. It is 15 years old.

You have to remember, that for legal reasons, they have no choice but to say what they do.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Yep,

You have to remember, that for legal reasons, they have no choice but to say what they do.
            +1

Mine held up to a over 100 MPH mishap. I know I had dropped it many times before that. Maybe they don't make em like they used to??
            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
            Original except:
            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
              That would STILL be draketrumpet Joe.
              Not if it's all beat up and crashed.
              Joe

78XS1100

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
                Hey man, fair warning. . . when I went through the MSF course we were told do NOT put our helmets on our seats when we stopped between the exercises. That a 3-4 foot drop can significantly damage a helmet and reduce it's effectiveness in a crash even though there is no visible damage. I would really take it to a GOOD helmet dealer to get it professionally inspected or just go and buy a new one anyway. Sorry for the bad news.
                I was told the same thing 30 years ago at the MSF course too (sponsered by uncle sam) and I bought it for a while. But after talking to a helmet rep at a bike show, I did the math and agreed with him. Helmets are designed to protect the human head in a crash. Falling 4 feet or so empty with just their own weight is not going to cause significant damage unless you drop it on the sharp edge of an axe or something similar. I mean, you might chip the paint, but that is about all. If this were not true, they would not sell you replacement parts for broken visor hinges and such (almost always broken by a fall) cause if there was ANY chance of liability for the helmet manufacturer, they would not sell you any parts. That said, they will tell you that a helmet more than several years old (typically like 3 to 5 years) no longer provides the protection it's rated for. And this makes sense since skin oils degrade the foam liner and plastic and other polymers tend to get more brittle with age. As well, helmet design and manufacturing gets better all the time, but I'm not going to spend more than about $100 or so on a helmet unless its because it's significantly more comfortable since there is LOTS of evidence that SNELL helmets are not more safe than DOT helmets and some that they MIGHT be less safe for some.

This said, I don't care if I am SURE I didn't hit my head in an accident, the first thing I would be doing is buying a new helmet. My head is worth more to me than assuming a helmet designed to protect for ONE accident is still good after one. That said, the person wearing the helmet is the ONLY one who can make that call. That is unless the helmet split in half, of course then maybe you could put it back together with 100MPH tape like they use in NASCAR.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by joceiphus View Post
                  Not if it's all beat up and crashed.

draketrumpet (Dale) and kirmit77 (Austin) are two DIFFERENT people Joe.

Put the crack pipe down, back away slowly and keep your hands where we can see them!

Comment

No really they're the SAME person. Notice, they're never in the same place at the same time.
                    Joe

78XS1100

Comment

Working...
                    X