Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A spinoff thought

Jeremy posts:-
    "I haven't used the back brake on either bike in a long time, I should just take it off to eliminate some more weight to make my bike will be even faster!"
    And I do hope he is joking but it does raise an interesting point.
    Most jurisdictions insist on vehicles having two separate braking systems so just taking off an XS11's rear brake would make it illegal.
    But the XJ11 has a split front brake, one disk by hand and the other by foot, so removing an XJ's rear brake would be within the law.
    As to removing the front brakes; add a second caliper, even a mechanical one, to the rear disk and that'd be legal too so long as the second caliper had it's own operating system.
    I guess Charles Dickens says it best:-
    "If the Law thinks that, Sir; the Law is an ass!"
    Last edited by fredintoon; 05-22-2010, 10:42 AM.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

I was joking, I'll leave it there for the times that I really have to brake, like when a car pulls out in front of me. The XS11 front brake actually works pretty good but never really realized how good until I rebuilt the whole front braking system. Now my TLR with the dual six piston calipers if far better, actually way more than you need, but more is better than not enough.

FYI - I joke about 90% of the time, it makes life a little easier if you can laugh and reduce some stress.
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Two brake system......front brake and the drive shaft....LOL
      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
      79 DT 100

Comment

You could install exhaust brakes!
        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Most states that I have actually looked up state their requirement as "must have brakes on all wheels" or something similar, meaning that a bike must have brakes on both the front and rear, and I'm pretty sure none of them require them to operate independently since some bikes don't have that option, the brakes are linked full time. I know in CA cars are required to have brakes that minimize the chance of brake failure on both axles at the same time, but I didn't see anything like that for bikes, just that both wheels must have brakes on them.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
            Most states that I have actually looked up state their requirement as "must have brakes on all wheels" or something similar, - - - -
            Hi Cy,
            your "something similar" could well include the words "separate" and "independent"?
            This is served by one only of an XJ's front disks worked by the handlebar lever and the rest by the footbrake.
            A car has 4-wheel hydraulic brakes plus a mechanical e-brake to keep the same separation.
            I once helped restore a 1928 Wolseley that only had rear brakes. 4 shoes in each drum, two applied by the footbrake pedal and the other two by the handbrake lever. Separate and independent even back then.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              Hi Cy,
              your "something similar" could well include the words "separate" and "independent"?
              This is served by one only of an XJ's front disks worked by the handlebar lever and the rest by the footbrake.
              A car has 4-wheel hydraulic brakes plus a mechanical e-brake to keep the same separation.
              I once helped restore a 1928 Wolseley that only had rear brakes. 4 shoes in each drum, two applied by the footbrake pedal and the other two by the handbrake lever. Separate and independent even back then.
              Once again, at least in the US it varies a bit, but in CA it states that the primary braking system must operate on ALL wheels, with exceptions for some big rigs on needing them on the front axle and that auto brakes must allow for one axle failing without the other failing and I'm pretty sure the e-brake don't count. For MC's it specifically says brakes on both front and back, and nothing about separate operation. This of course all is predicated on the vehicle in question being after a certain year, before that the rules are/were different.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
              X