No announcement yet.

CH11 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Vista on all my computers that access the site, and mostly use Google chrome for the browser as well. I have only had problems when it turned out that everybody was having trouble so it's been pretty good for me. I don't think I even have an XP machine to try from anymore (oops, wrong, SWMBO has an XP laptop I could try, but I have orders to figure out how to get her a new one, so that's going to go away too).
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Not yet Doug...Been a busy couple of days working on a honey do for SWMBO.

Still using proxies.
      Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

One piece of software that I run regularly is Regcure. It probably won't fix your XS11 issues, but it does a good tune-up on your registry. You'd be surprised how much extraneous crap winds up there, and it can really slow your computer down. Regcure will remove the offending entries and return your system to more optimal performance. I think they have a free download, and IIRC the free-bee won't remove the entries, but it will show you what's there. Another product, that at least one person likes better than Regcure, is Registry Easy. I don't have any personal experience with that one, though.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

DNS Server maybe...??

I used a Windows tool that lives at the command level called tracert. It's a tracer, namely it's a route tracer, thus the name trace route, aka - tracert. It provides you with all the addresses, of servers, routers, switches, whatever, that your signal travels through to get to CH11. When you run it, the first thing it does is resolve the Name (xs11.com, or www.xs11.com) (the URL) to the IP address and vice versa. If it does resolve these,, then it shows you the route you're using to get to ch11. These are called "hops", every box it traverses to get to ch11. It looks something like this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
          Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\xxxxxxx>tracert www.xs11.com

Tracing route to xs11.com [64.119.182.118]
          over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
          2 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 192.168.16.5
          3 * * * Request timed out.
          4 17 ms 18 ms 28 ms ge-1-1-ur01.tequesta.fl.pompano.comcast.net [68.
          85.230.49]
          5 19 ms 21 ms 18 ms te-8-1-ur01.stuart.fl.pompano.comcast.net [68.86
          .165.130]
          6 33 ms 29 ms 32 ms 68.86.165.50
          7 58 ms 55 ms 53 ms pos-0-11-0-0-cr01.charlotte.nc.ibone.comcast.net
          [68.86.91.237]
          8 55 ms 52 ms 58 ms pos-3-15-0-0-cr01.atlanta.ga.ibone.comcast.net [
          68.86.85.225]
          9 228 ms 217 ms 62 ms te-3-4.car1.Atlanta2.Level3.net [4.71.252.17]
          10 58 ms 53 ms 53 ms ae-73-52.ebr3.Atlanta2.Level3.net [4.68.103.62]

11 80 ms 75 ms 87 ms ae-7.ebr3.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.134.21]
          12 81 ms 89 ms 89 ms ae-72-78.ebr2.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.146.75]
          13 94 ms 92 ms 89 ms ae-2-2.ebr1.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.132.105]
          14 88 ms 92 ms 89 ms ae-11-53.car1.Denver1.Level3.net [4.68.107.70]
          15 90 ms 90 ms 94 ms DATA393-HOL.car1.Denver1.Level3.net [4.79.80.14]

16 92 ms 90 ms 89 ms 208-42-224-141.static.data393.net [208.42.224.14
          1]
          17 89 ms 91 ms 90 ms rtr-dc-dist-a.v14.colo.data393.net [208.42.224.3
          4]
          18 93 ms 97 ms 88 ms galaga.whspn.net [64.119.182.118]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\

If the signal gets hung up and fails at a certain point, record the IP address of that location - that is more than likely where the problem resides. This is the location where your signal gets blocked and is impeded from reaching its destination (ch11).

If it cannot do resolve the address or IP, it stops. This could indicate a problem with the DNS - Domain Name Server. Or more probably it could point to a problem with some router or switch the transport (Internet transport) the hosting site uses. OR, some other carrier used along the way where the signal path fails.
          Give it a try and let me know what you find.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Did the tracert a few times, it always pinged 13 sites and stopped at a site in Colorado.

Anyway, as mysteriously as the problem manifested.. tonight I can log straight on to the site...weird thing is...I can no longer log onto the proxy site....

I guess that's why I call it a confuzer...
            Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

That is weird, I just clicked my XS11 bookmark and I'm here! No timing out or anything!!!!!!!!
              http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Well,

I tried to tell you all that XS11.com was NOT blocking your access, and that IF you could get on with a PROXY, then it was some sort of DNS issue with a server somewhere along the line/hops from your system to XS11.com, and that it would eventually get resolved as the servers update their systems!?

Glad you're back on DIRECTLY, have fun!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well my access issue is resolved now. It started with loading pictures from my photobucket acct of the last rally. Errors started and then DNS server could not locate xs11.
                  At work the next day I had access and then tried to load the pictures from there and same thing happened. I've been blocked or no access since last Tuesday but now back on after assistance from Kat to JW. Don't know what happened or why but back on now at work and will try from home later.
                  XJ1100 Ruby Red
                  XS1100LH "Midnight"
                  1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

No One is IMMUNE!!!!!!

Well,

Just a day after I was helping a fellow Xsive with his access problems, all of a sudden "I" was dropped from the site!!!

I've got a new router/modem and it was working quite well for many weeks, but then all of a sudden, I couldn't access the site right in the middle of trying to post an update to my construction thread. Just like several other folks have posted, can get to any other web site just fine. DELETED ALL temp internet files, cookies, etc.! NADA!!

I'm using a PROXY right now. Ran the Tracert, and it times out at around the 13th hop out west somewhere!?!?

So...not sure how well I'll be able to perform my ADMIN duties and such whilst this is going on, so I can just ask that the MODS continue to do their duties as they have been doing so well all along, and let's hope the LID doesn't try to blow off the site!
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

TC - I think I heard the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! all the way over here in Ohio . Wasn't some place in Colorado that you wound up, was it? That's where mine was sticking, and somebody else mentioned the same place earlier in this thread. I'm just wondering if the server it's crapping out on happens to host a GS1100 site - that would sure explain it .
                      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Colorado hops

I could see how there could be a problem in CO, there are four hops there. Three are in Denver and one "generic" colorado, and another non-descript before reaching the destination.
                        I don't use a proxy and have never had a problem.
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                          Ran the Tracert, and it times out at around the 13th hop out west somewhere!?!?
                          T.C., the web host or the vBulletin software might be using a dynamic filter in the background to temporarily lock out an IP address that is exhibiting some predefined suspicious behavior.

I was trying to format the pictures and links in a Reply to a thread. I used the Preview button over a fairly long period of time (I was watching TV and listening to music, too) when the Preview suddenly bombed out with a 500 error message[1] that said to contact the site administrator. Eventually I got booted out and couldn't connect back unless I used my mobile phone or a web proxy -- different IP address. The next day everything was fine.

[1] 500 Internal Server Error
                          A generic error message, given when no more specific message is suitable.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Im Baaaack!

Hey Scott,

No, I just got the GENERIC IE7 web page can not be displayed, click here for options...connection troubleshooting, etc.!

Occasionally, I'll get the 500 error, then I'll just go BACK a step, wait a little while and try again...happened tonight while trying to send a PM, just a server overload I guess!?!?

I just waited patiently a few days, and WHAM, I'm back now being able to access it DIRECTLY again, and haven't done a thing to my computer or settings!!!

So...for future folks that may experience this problem, find a PROXY server in the mean time, check your direct link every day, clear your internet browser files cache and cookies, and eventually you'll be able to get back to direct access.

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

I am back also. I have been trying without a proxy every day with no luck, but tonight all is good
                              1978 XS1100 E work in progress. Bought in 1998 19xxx miles.
                              1979 XS1100 F running. Bought May 2010 30xxx miles. 145 mains, 45 pilots, Ivan's v-stack mod, pods and 4-2 Jardine, 25.7mm floats.
                              1979 XS1100 SF missing tank and seat. Top end dismantled.
                              1989 xt600
                              1984 Honda vt500
                              1983 Honda cm250

Comment

I was shut out most of the day today. Got back just a bit ago.
                                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
                                X