Canadian Parts Sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Parts Sites?

I've recently brought my 81XS11H in for it's mechanical, I was pleased to find out it only needed a steering head bearing to be replaced for mechanical safety. Although they brought up a couple of small issues. One being the lens caps on the 2 of the signal lights (their cracked) & another being the lock for the gas cap (had to drill it out to check tank for damage, PO changed lock then lost keys). Bike won't be deemed roadworthy without them. I can find the lenses on Partsnmore.com but he only has 1 of the type of need. The fuel tank cap is causing me problems, the cap is complete except for the lock & Yamaha doesn't make it anymore. I've even tried some motorcycle salvage yards down in southern Ontario (I live in Northern Ontario) but apparently this bike is rare up here. This is my first motorcyle & I was hoping to ride it once this year but if I can't find these parts, I won't be able to put it on the road till next April or May. Any help finding sources for parts would be very appreciated, btw I've also never done any project like this before.

Several in the Toronto area, and Kitchener as well. Unfortunately, I have never dealt with them, have only heard via word of mouth, so can't give you a phone number or address.

If it was me, I would start thinking "Ebay is my friend"

Turnsignal lenses come up quite often, gas caps not as often. I might have a cap lock, will have to check.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

You can find those parts, online, at: http://www.serve.com/dlewis/mikesxs/mikesxsindex.html

He isn't in Canada, but he has a lot of parts that will fit XS11s at great prices, including the lens, if it's round, and the gas cap.
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Www.partsnmore.com is in Canada but most of the time what I need is out of stock.

I bought some turn signals from them and the chrome was awful, I’m going for the Midnight standard look so I’m sure they’ll look OK after I have them powder coated black.

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Shadow, Geezer, & xsives........

I bought 4 of the Standard style turn signals (rectangular) from
          Partsnmore awhile back myself.

2 were single(1) wired, 2 were double (2) wired.......

The single-wire lamps had a good chrome finish, but the internals were "bare-bones", no rubber insulator around the socket, no reflector behind the bulb, or gasket under the lens, and one bulb was broken.

The 2-wire lamps were very poorly finished. The chrome seemed to have been applied over crud, slag, or a rough casting that was never smoothed out. There were no rubber insulators around the sockets, but there were reflectors behind the bulbs, and there were gaskets 'tween the lens and casting.

The bulb sockets appeared tinney, and cheaply made when compared to the OEM's too.....

I decided to use the two new single-wire lamps that had good chrome on them, and install the internals into them from my old OEM's. They installed onto the mounting stems OK.

The rough chrome finish on the two 2-wire lamps was still shiney'er than my old dull, pitted OEM's. I decided to use them till I could find better.

When I attempted to install them both onto their mounting stems, the sleeve with the bolt was so oversize, and sloppy that when I tightened the bolt to clamp them, the casting cracked from the slot across the back of the sleeve making them both junk.......completely.

I salvaged the lens gaskets, bolts, sockets, and bulb.

To "do-it-over-again" I would not buy my turnsignals from Partsnmore.

I have bought m/c, and caliper re-build kits from them that seemed OK, but the signal lamps seemed to be from different Mfg's. as the quality was so different between the 1 and 2 wire lamps.

I e-mailed Partsnmore and asked them to exchange the 2wire lamps and they inferred that since I found fault with the quality of their lamps, they felt that I could not be satisfied by an exchange, and offered a refund.

Nedless to say, it will be awhile before I buy from them again......
          Red Tarrents
          XS1100E "Big Red"
          IOOB #792669
          "Don't let the Bastards grind ya down!"

Comment

Thanks Red for the warning. Since I'm just looking for the lenses I'm hoping that they will be ok because I haven't any luck finding them around here. You wouldn't believe how much the dealer wants for them. Although the partsnmore 30$ minimum order is a little bit of a problem since I don't need anything else.

Comment

Hey Red, at least they offered yer money back!
              Garry
              '79 SF "Battle Cat"
              outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

First for the disclaimer.... I have not done business with these people so I don't know what they are like.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zdenocycle.ca

These guys are in the Kitchener/ Waterloo area They have a booth at the Toronto bike show in Januaray. As the site says they have been in the business 30 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.soniccyclesalvage.com

These guys are in London. I walked into there shop one time a couple years back ... just looking around and saw some XS 11 side covers. I can't remember what I was looking for.
                Tom
                2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

the dealership where my bike came from new is no longer in business ,but Ontario cycle salvage is good stuff nice people I know Wayne Reddin goes there for most if not all bike stuff I got a headlight for Brian Shepley there as well they have new and used stuff oh just have a look
                  Jim
                  http://ontariocyclesalvage.com/index.html
                  Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                  Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                  and SOXS
                  2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

parts

Shadow,Ive never been to ontario cycle and ive heard of sonic.
                    I get all my used parts at zedeno in guelph ontario. He's got about 8 xs wrecks inthere.mostly specials.These guys strip any thing valuable.I was impressed that they seal all the motor openings .note : everthing is out side too. Theyre a little anal retentive with who handles the money. Dont go there or phone on a saturday. theyre busy.I live two hours away too so its a drive. i hand pick and know what I want. TYhat reminds me I need a new neutral switch down below. hope that helps.
                    Good luck
                    Steve

Comment

parts

i see you are having problems getting some parts,try these,i know they are in the uk,but alot of breakers in the uk are bringing in alot of old stuff from europe. try these two,www.uk-biker.net or www.partfinder.co.uk .as i have 3 xs1100s i am always on the phone finding out who has got what so there are a few xs1100s in breakers,if you contact the two web sites with what you want,the contact a lot of breakers all over the uk. if know one gets back to you,let me know then i will try for you ,they might not want to ring the usa good luck and can you keep me informed on how you get on .

Comment

Do you need the rectangular turnsignal lenses? If so contact me directly at bajaviking@aol.com. I have extras that I don't need and would sell for what I have in them.
                        KurtG

Comment

Working...
                        X