Is it so hard to be honest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it so hard to be honest?

First off, I no angel but, this really gets me.

I just bought my bike about a month ago. I was told by the PO that he just changed all fluids and I did not have to worry about them for a while

I knew better and know its allways a good idea to flush all fluids anyway.

Today I decided to drain the rear drive shaft oil. It was dark coco brown with light tan swirls. Just changed? when? in 1981?

Ive done the brakes. They were bad. Oil in the drive shaft sucked. Cant wait to do the motor oil

Shock oil is on the short list too.
    1980 XS1100 SG

When in doubt, knock 'em out!

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Stupid can not be cured!!!

If it makes you feel any better, it is possible the PO simply emptied out as much of the same brown goo that was in it when he changed it, and never bothered to clean it out before adding the new fluid. Which led to it turning to the same kind of goo quickly. A possibility anyway.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

The manual says to leave the drain plug out for something like 15 minutes, to allow the thick, old 90w oil to drain out completely. I doubt the PO did that. Even with engine oil, if you were to change the oil today, ride 50 miles tomorrow, and drain it again, I would expect the oil to look almost as bad as the stuff you just drained out. It took 3 oil changes in the course of 1 week for me to notice any difference in the color of the oil. It's amazing how quickly that oil gets dirty.

However, you can't trust a PO. Unless you physically saw something done, you can never trust that it was done, or done correctly. Especially if it was done by someone who just wanted to sell the bike quickly.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        The manual says to leave the drain plug out for something like 15 minutes, to allow the thick, old 90w oil to drain out completely. I doubt the PO did that. Even with engine oil, if you were to change the oil today, ride 50 miles tomorrow, and drain it again, I would expect the oil to look almost as bad as the stuff you just drained out. It took 3 oil changes in the course of 1 week for me to notice any difference in the color of the oil. It's amazing how quickly that oil gets dirty.

However, you can't trust a PO. Unless you physically saw something done, you can never trust that it was done, or done correctly. Especially if it was done by someone who just wanted to sell the bike quickly.
        Do you think I should flush it with an additive?
        1980 XS1100 SG

When in doubt, knock 'em out!

I will not argue with idiots. They will only try to drag me down to their level and beat me with experience.

Comment

Seafoam!

An ounce of Seafoam should do the trick.
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by Suckerpunch View Post
            Do you think I should flush it with an additive?
            Actually, add a bit of ATF to it. That has lots of detergents, and is capable of carrying the load. Nearly all modern car manual trannies use it, and I've even ran it in older gearboxes for faster shifts. The only issue with the older boxes was they're not sealed well enough for something that thin, and the trans leaked like a sieve out every conceivable place...

'78E original owner
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...