A curious thing has been happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A curious thing has been happening

Recently, my bike has been stalling (at times, inoportunely) when I roll off the throttle. My most common occurrence has been when I arrive at work (a combination of 70 to 80 mph freeway and surface streets). As I pull into the lot and stop the bike to begin backing into my space, it'll die. Mostly it will restart immediately, but the very first time it died, when I hit the starter button, I got nothing. It started a moment later, though. The starter button is new. I know that intermittent problems are the worst kind, but if any one has any thoughts, I'd appreciate the insight. The stalling has also occurred in traffic. It seems as though the idle speed drops way down and she quits on me. I fought that one by keeping the revs up with the throttle and few miles later it was fine.

Ralph

Stalling

It could well be one or more carburetors are staring to flood because the needle and seat are not shutting off the fuel. Or float level too high on one or more carbs. The engine can handle the extra fuel when cold bit once fully warmed up they are snuffing the engine out.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

Have you checked the pick-up coil wires lately?
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Do you still have the stock fuse block?
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I had such problems. Cleaned the (non stock) fuse box connections and fuses... it works fine now.

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

dirty engine kill switch. mine did the same thing
            79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
            07 V-star 1100
            Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

stalling

Check your vac. lines going to your fuel petcocks and petcocks themselves.Sounds like there might be a small air leak.I don`t know how your vac. lines run mine runs from the no.2,3 intakes.Bad to get a air leak,keep a eye on them.Hope this helps.
              Bill Harvell

Comment

I have never looked at the pick up wires or the fuse block. I'll have to have them checked, along with the vacuum lines. Thanks guys.

Ralph

Comment

Working...
                X