New Possibility - FJ1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Possibility - FJ1200

So I have been looking for a bike for my brother to ride with me. Came across an fj1200 on CL today for $400. He says "oil going into carbs needs valve seals." Other than that he says its "ready to go." I realize these bikes are very similar in design, yet I have never done a valve job before; would it be worth it? I would actually maybe turn this into my daily and my brother and I could switch out. I wanted to find something comparable to the XS11 so I am not always smoking him... Opinions welcome.
    1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

If it were in my neighborhood, I would have bought it already. The case is probably full of gas. Valve seals normally are only a problem on warm up. The bike will smoke and then clear up when it's warm.

On the other hand expect to service the engine and rebuild the carbs. Expect the usually PO F' ups....

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Geezer,

it seems you did indeed beat me too it. THe ad said not to call till 6pm. I called at 6:15 and he already had it loaded on a truck.

1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

It wasn't me. I don't go over 100 miles for a bike unless it's an amazing killer deal or that far even for a free bike...

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
        X