Too much for a xs650?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much for a xs650?

So I have been emailing a guy off of CL about a xs650. He titled it a project bike, but listed it for 900. I kindly emailed him elaborating why that was way to much and I am a Yamaha expert...all that BS. First he said 750 now 700.

Am I missing something? Are 650's that desirable. I think this guy actually believes its a good deal. He says it need engine mounts, paint, and a battery. I would add carbs, and the seat redone. I feel as though 500 would be a fair price. But that would even be hard for me as I paid $350 for my xs11. Here is a pic:

Oh and I am looking for a bike for my brother. This way I will always be able to put him in his place. What type of MPG do these get?

Thanks
    1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

The 650 is a VERY popular bike and the older the better. Many desire them and will pay a pretty penny for them. They represent fine examples of Japans first copy cat effort of the British twines of the day. Many chop and or bob them. I wouldn't mind having one myself to restore.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

CA Check the Roanoke, Va craigslist. There has been several 650's on there lately, with good prices and some appeared to be in excellent condition.
      POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
      THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
      1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

They're sought after

I keep in tune with the value of certian bikes. And have consistently noticed exactly what 79XS1100F said. The xs650 is coveted for these purposes. Goes to show you how little they value the versatility of the 11.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Don't know about all that stuff of valuing the 650. I have not got a response on the sale of my XJ650 in over a month on multiple listings. Maybe it is only the older twins they want.
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
          A quick death and an easy one.
          A pretty girl and an honest one.
          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
            Don't know about all that stuff of valuing the 650. I have not got a response on the sale of my XJ650 in over a month on multiple listings. Maybe it is only the older twins they want.
            Your XJ is a 4 cylinder, the XS is a twin. As Rob said, it was nice copy of the British twins (minus the Lucas electrics thankfully!) and was also the last bike I owned that you could do virtually all maintainance including tune-ups with the included tool kit (ok, I had to add a point file and feeler gauges to the kit..). Kind of the 'Volkswagen' of Yamahas; simple, easy to work on, they made a ton of them, and parts are still fairly easy to find.

And yes, they're still bringing pretty good money. I sold mine to get my 11... sometimes I miss that bike.

'78E original owner
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The chopper crowd has chosen the XS650 for the best non hogley copper power plant. The next one down is the CB450/500 Honda twin. Both of these bikes has seen a sudden increase in price over other siblings in their line for this reason.

It's too bad. The XS650 used to be the best bargain in it's size range...

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by CA View Post
                So I have been emailing a guy off of CL about a xs650. He titled it a project bike, but listed it for 900. I kindly emailed him elaborating why that was way to much and I am a Yamaha expert...all that BS. First he said 750 now 700.

Am I missing something? Are 650's that desirable. I think this guy actually believes its a good deal. He says it need engine mounts, paint, and a battery. I would add carbs, and the seat redone. I feel as though 500 would be a fair price. But that would even be hard for me as I paid $350 for my xs11. - - -
                Oh and I am looking for a bike for my brother. This way I will always be able to put him in his place. What type of MPG do these get?

Thanks
                Hi CA,
                lucky you, 5 years back I paid a grand for my XS11SG.
                Although some will post they only paid $100 for one in better shape, ~$700 is not unreasonable for an XS650.
                As a comparo to an XS11, it's over 100lbs lighter, steers and shifts far nicer, gets ~45mpg and develops ~50hp.
                They were in production from 1970 to 1984 compared to the 1978 to 1981 of the XS11.
                Last edited by fredintoon; 05-19-2010, 11:24 PM.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

You can buy just about any part you need for an XS650...new. They are popular to restore, bob, chop, and cafe. I have four of them. I bought the first one new in 1983, and I still ride it often.

I think the availability of parts probably increases the value a lot. It's also easy to work on. See www.mikesxs.com www.650central.com etc. I also find a surprising number of parts still available from the dealer. Fun bike!
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Those 650s

In OZ the a reasonable 650 brings $3500 - $6000. We have quite a few US imports here now to, going for $5K - $7.5K! MikeXs has probably added to this value as nearly all parts are available for restoration. The US had the lions share of the million or so made, so parts in the rest of the world has been limited. I have 4 myself with one being a 72 US XS2 model. They are easy to work on and the 11 is very similar - just more powerful and somewhat smoother, noise from both is worth it.
                    Stoffa

XS11 H '82
                    XS2 '72
                    XS2(US) '72
                    XS650 '76
                    XS650sp '79
                    XS650sp '80
                    GL1800 '06

Comment

Hmm

Well I emailed him not too long ago, and never heard back. Perhaps I will try again. You all have persuaded me towards it a little more. Afterall it would be nice to have an option of the beast and the dog...

Ill see what I can do to get on it.

Thanks for the insight. I will let you know how it goes.
                      1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

Working...
                      X