How would you fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you fix this?

Ok, long story short SWMBO and I and our son got stuck "off road" last weekend to the tune of an 800 tow bill, so I decided it was time to look for a winch "just in case" ya know. I found one on craigs list for 30 bucks, but it's broken. I got it anyways because the solenoid, cable, hook, motor, ect are all good, and I think it can be repaired.

So the question is, how would you guys recommend fixing this thing. Bellow are pictures. The best I can describe is the free spool lever is "supported" by a hole in the end cap of the case, that hole has "broken" and allows the free spool lever to have too much slop. The lever rotates left and right to lock the outer part of a planatary gear set to the case. Hopefully the pictures will show what I'm trying to describe.

The lever in question - its not broken

The broken hole in the end cap of the case.

Cap removed from the case, note the broken edge of hole

The other side of the same part

Another view

And a view of the gear box showing the hole in the top where the free spool lever rotates to lock the outer gear to the case.

My first thought was to fill the hole with JB weld and then re-drill the hole, but I'm not sure that would be the strongest, best way to fix it. Thanks for your input guys.

And in case anyone is intersted a shot of the whole deal
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Idea

My idea would be to weld it then recut the hole. Weld is very strong.
    Eric (South of Greensboro, NC)
    82 XJ1100 "Echos" Mostly Stock
    Matthew 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

Comment

Same idea...

Machine a "plug" for the hole and weld it into place. That would be a lot easier than filling the whole hole with weld. Then re-drill it out, problem solved.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Check out a few 4x4 forums and do a search for that brand winch. If it happened to one it has happened to others. See what other folks have done to fix it. Try the manufacturer's website to see if the part is available new...
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

Thanks guys, I should mention that I don't have a welder, or any way to machine a plug. I have looked around on the 4x4 forums and it seems like it has happened but those folks were "original" owners and so got replacement parts under warrenty, I'm planning to call the manufacturer but I can't do that till monday.

Keep the ideas coming.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
            Thanks guys, I should mention that I don't have a welder, or any way to machine a plug. I have looked around on the 4x4 forums and it seems like it has happened but those folks were "original" owners and so got replacement parts under warrenty, I'm planning to call the manufacturer but I can't do that till monday.

Keep the ideas coming.
            what brand? Did you check the website? I looked at warn and all you need to get a parts list is mod or serial number...
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

I would try taking a piece of steel and cutting it to fit in the hole. Then I would cut a larger one to bolt in place between the two mounting holes on either side and cover the patch piece.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Welding is the answer, seriously. For the sake of 20 or 30 bucks spent at a machine shop, it's not worth shagging around trying to fabricate something that may or may not work, or let you down at a critical moment. What you will have to look at is what broke that piece out in the first place, and if it's due to strain at that point then anything short of welding (or complete replacement) probably isnt going to work that well. What holds the lever in, and is the depth critical? If its not then you may be able to temp repair by fabricating a thin plate to go over the break and hold it in place by the bolts either side. JAT
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I've sold a lot of equipment over the years from several manufacturers ...

seems like it has happened but those folks were "original" owners and so got replacement parts under warranty,
                  And that does not bode well for that model. I'd check with a dealer or the manufacturer to see if there is an "update" replacement part, if not and this problem is happening frequently I think I'd be looking for a different winch.

mro

Comment

thanks MRO, I realize that a "common" failure is not a good thing for your winch, however I'm looking at it like this...
                    A. I got this thing for almost free on craigslist,
                    B. I don't plan to ever use it, more of a just in case once a year kind of use.
                    C. This failure while a PITA, doesn't prevent the winch from operating, it would be simple for me to rig it to "work" but I'd loose the ablity to free spool, I'd have to power the cable out every time.

Depending on what the manufacturer says that may be what I do, although I's rather fix it while its out on top my freezer.

Aside from that it seems like those that have had this problem its been broken "off" the vehicle, it seems to take a good whack directly on the free spool lever to really break it. Where I plan to mount it there is no chance of it breaking again, in fact I'm considering rigging some sort of cable up so that I can actually reach the darn thing without some crazy yoga poses.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

psycho- check your IM.
                      Wylie
                      1980 xs 11 special
                      1969 camaro pro street project (for sale)

Comment

Working...
                      X