"Special" Parts Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Special" Parts Question

I know there are differences between the Standard and the Special when it come to swapping parts. But will any year "Special" part fit ALL other Specials?
    For example will a 78-80 Special exhaust fit an 81 special, as long as it comes from another Special without having to modify anything?
    Thanks
    Rob
    82 XJ1100
    Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
    Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

If your just talking about the exhaust, there shouldnt be any problem. Most mechanical parts should interchange with no issue but there were cosmetic changes between the models. One small correction, Specials first appeared in 79, not 78.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I'm still learning. Having an XJ myself, I know that almost everything is different. With the exception of the mechanical parts of the motor and a few other parts. But I'm just trying to get as much information on the 81 special my dad bought,so when he gets tired of it and buys something else,(he does it a lot) I can get it for a good price and do a "frame-up" restoration. I'm just thinking ahead.
      Rob
      82 XJ1100
      Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
      Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Comment

Good Plan..
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Yep, any year Special exhaust system (stock system) will interchange. Standard exhaust is different. Almost, if not everything from an 80 special will fit an 81 special and vice versa. The 79 Special was unique when it comes to side covers, seat, rear fender and tail light among other subtleties. Now the emblem on the 80 side covers is not the same as the one on an 81 side cover, but they will fit up.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Working...
          X