Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• our XS1100 79 nightmare

Hi guys,

Just us again and my motorhead (Mark) is totally frustrated with getting his restoration done on the bike he bought.

I really want to see him get it going right and he is about ready to give it up.

Says brakes locked up, no 2 carb not running right. He has replaced alot already gas tank, fuel lines, petcocks, carbs, rear tire, fuel gauge, side covers, and etc.

Finally has it running, but said he thinks it sat too long before he bought it. I can not believe he is going to give up. Wish he could find another XS1100 motorhead here in Columbus, Ohio to mull things over with.

Thanks for letting me vent.
    Sherry

Sherry.....

Remind your "motorhead" that restoration takes time and hastly hurrying things usually makes more work in the long run. I have a neighbor that has a ROLLS ROYCE SILVER SHADOW. It took 7 years to restore this fine piece of history. Granted that is a bit differnt that our motorcycles the point is the same. Your XS is a quality motorcycle and time is what will make things work right.

It had taken me a full year to restore the motor on my Midnight Special. The rings were unavailible at first and when I got them and found I needed another part that only could come from YAMAHA , It took extra time again. But all the time and worry paid off. I enjoy my bike almost daily.

Hang in there and happy cycling.
    wpc57

'81LH Midnight Special "Margret"

I ain't as good as I once was..but I am as good once as I ever was.... (Toby Keith)

Comment

There are plenty of threads here in the forum covering the problems you stated. So far.... I have been able to find an answer or at least a knowledgable suggestion on any problems that I have run up against. As far as sitting too long..... unless the engine is siezed.... it has not sat too long. There are bikes here that have sat for 20 years and came right back to life without a whole lot of fuss. My own sat for over 2 years outside and runs like a dream.
      1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement

I think he is just wanting to be able to ride it. It is running, but one pipe is discoloring and it won't start off the line(if you know what I mean).

Also brake rings on the wheels are bluish after running it for awhile. He ran it today for the first time and it stopped on him 3 times.

He has been on vacation an dI think he wanted to have it up and running before he went back to work.

I think he needs to chat with you guys. He was so excited about this bike and now he is feeling a little discouraged. If you know the feeling.

It has not had plates since 1994, but only has 5300 miles on it.

Thanks and I hope you can chat with him. Do you have AOL instant messenger or MSN?

Sherry

Comment

It continues

He switched carbs and now it won't start. Oh great!!! Thinks maybe because he put gum out in it before when he was mad!!!

Thanks
          Sherry

Comment

The brakes are locking up because the spooge holes are plugged. Read all about it in this thread

Oddly enough, the problem with a carb not running is probably very closely related to this same thing. There are lots of wee orifices in the carbs and in the master cylinders that need to be clean for both things to work properly. I know it is frustrating, but you just have to keep working away at it. It will be worth it when it all finally comes together.

(BTW - if the new bank-o-carbs doesn't work, put the others back on and keep working on them. If it was running with them, you are that much closer to where you want to be)
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Hang in there man. We've all been there. These bikes are worth it. All the pep of a sport bike, but a much better ride. Try the carb synch tip(search site) on your old carbs and re-install. Think simple first, the XS is tempermental but seldom has serious problems.
              Unless you are the lead sled dog the view never changes.

Comment

Hey Sherry! Has he been reading the forum? Just wondering! Pretty cool yer both into it. Keep reading and trying and we'll be here for ya!
                Garry
                '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Thanks so much

I am the one that had to keep him motivated and I do not operate any machinery well, not even a motorcycle, but it is his dream.

And something we both ejoyed back in the day(if you know what I mean) LOL

Thanks for the notes of encouragement and just plain for being there.

I send the notes and then get him to read them, he is a know it all master mechanic and I am a dumb blonde. Good combination don't you think?

LOL
                  Sherry

Comment

If there are problems with the carbs.... there is nothing you can run thru in the gas.... or spray thru the throats or dip the carbs in that will correct the problem. Constant Velocity carbs such as the ones on the 1100 are rather touchy in that a single particle of dirt or varnish left in the wrong place will really screw up the way they function. All the parts of these carbs interact with each other in such a way that a problem in an area of the carb not normally associated with the symptoms can actually be the culprit.

Most of us have learned that the ONLY way to ensure the proper operation of these carbs escpecially if they have sat for a while is not one.... or two... but THREE complete teardowns and cleanings. I had to tear down and clean my own carbs four times before I got them clean enough to run smoothly. You REALLY need to pull ALL of the jets and the emulsion tubes (needle jets) and make sure that ALL of the tiny passages connecting different circuits in the carb together are absolutely unobstructed. Having only a few of the many tiny holes in the emulsion tube blocked can make that carb run rich. Also make sure that the tips of all the mixture screws are intact and ensure that a tip of one has not broken off in its bore. This is a VERY common problem if the mix screws have been overtightened before backing them off. Make sure that you can see daylight thru each hole of every jet..... and make sure you can squirt carb cleaner thru each and every internal passage.
                    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

thanks

He got your message and that is what he is working on now!!!

Redoing the other set of carbs and cleaning them at least three or four times and using a copper wire to clear each hole.

At least that is what I saw and that is what he is telling me LOL

Sherry
                      The dumb blonde again

Comment

Sat too long??

Hey there Sherry,

My big question is "where" did the bike sit, in a garage or outside? IF in a garage, then there should be less chance of severe rust build up in one of the cylinders from atmospheric changes and condensation effects, but could still occur since usually at least 1 intake/exhaust valve was open while it sat, allowing outside air and humidity/moisture to enter. Has he done a compression test to determine if any one cylinder is way out of whack with the others??

Regrettably mine sat outside for 9 years before I was able to get back to it, and had rusted terribly, and so that's why I did the big bore kit. My carbs were pretty pathetic, but was able to clean them thoroughly and get it back together and runs great now. As others have stated, the carbs and the flow, fuel and air is usualy the biggest hurdle to overcome to getting these wonderful beasts to running right.

Also, being the master mechanic he is, then he'll know about how the rings can get stuck/varnished and that he may want to add some special cleaner stuff to the oil to help get things unstuck, which could also improve performance.

You say he replaced the Gas Tank, did he get a "new" one, or just one in better condition? Even a newer one can still have micro-rust particles in it if it has sat for a while. Most folks find they need to clean and recoat/reline their tanks to prevent the reformation of this rust which can easily gum up a newly cleaned bank of carbs!!!! Did he put inline filters on the fuel lines, cause even though the tank has tower filters on the petcocks, they aren't perfect!! Well, we wish him the best of luck, and the fortitude to keep at it!!!

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sherry, listen to TopCat. He is not the only one here to 'resurrect' an XS that has been sitting for several years, but I have seen his. It looks great and runs VERY well.
                          There is certainly help here at the forum that will cover almost everything hubby might run into, and I think you will like the results.
                          Marty in NW PA
                          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

I baught a 1979 XS_SF with only 8,000 miles on it and went through the same thing. tore the carbs down twice and man does it run nice now. In fact just purchased another one with 70,000 miles and working on that one also, putting 11" shocks in the rear ect. It is a 1100 Special. To make a long story short - don't give up they are Great bikes.
                            Motor cop

Comment

nightmare

Lots of nasty stuff happens to bikes that sit around unridden for years as mine did many guys on the forum have been there.

Look for rust particles in the carb bowls, clean and epoxy the tank if there are any signs of rust.

Carbs, well I can't add anything here, its all been said, clean them thoroughly.

Electrics should be gone over completely, plug wires, pick-up wires should be looked at closely, all the multi-plug connections should be cleaned and at least inspected for corrosion.

Its taken me 4 years to get my 78' to a point where its starting to shine and perform well, with all the advice available and people to offer a helping hand your well on your way.....don't give up
                              Bruce
                              78XS1100
                              Alpha
                              Bruce Doucette
                              Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Working...
                              X