Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing

I have been looking for a fairing for my 78. I really wanted a Pacifico, as that was the one I had on the 79 I bought new in Cal. and rode everywhere. My wife and I loved that bike. I put a posting in the part forum and Samm895 responded with exactly what I wanted and more. The price was great, but the only stumbling block was the reputation out there that no one had ever shipped a fairing, with all the attendant excuses, price, packaging, etc. Sam didn't let that bother him, we talked on the phone and he sounded like he had the confidence to solve the problem. I said go ahead, and I sent him the money. And he blew it all in strip joints, NO, NO, thats a JOKE!!!! He went to work and after a bit of searching, found a large cardboard shipping carton that was for shipping a safe. He packed the fairing and necessary parts with newspaper, lots and lots of newspaper. He took it to Greyhound and they shipped it from Virginia to St. Louis, Missouri. I picked it up and the Greyhound people even loaded it in the truck for me. I took it home and unloaded it and found a hole the size of a softball in the side of it. But, on upon opening it and unpacking the fairing, what ever had made the hole had not hardly penetrated the box. After covering one stall of my garage floor with newspaper, every thing came through with No damage!!! Everything and more was there and I am a very happy man. And Sam? I think he did the first successful shipping of a fairing. Thanks again, My good man. It CAN be done. Find a thick cardboard shipping container, lots of packing material, and take it to Greyhound!!! You can do it!!
    Happy Jack
    J.D."Jack" Smith
    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
    1978E straight job
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

shipping of a fairing

I shipped a Vetter back in 06.
    Removed the windshield and made my own cardboard box.
    No complaints

mro

Comment

"Props" to anyone with the gumption to ship a fairing. I checked usps, ups, and fed-ex when I sold mine off. I finally ended up meeting half way and just passing everything off that way. Glad everything worked out well for you.
      1980 XS11SG
      Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
      Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
      ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Working...
      X