Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different oil thread

Penetrating oil, that is.
    I read about this on another list but have not yet brewed up a batch.
    Seems you mix equal parts of acetone and power steering fluid.
    proponents claim that they did break-free torque measurements on test fasteners that had been rusted together.
    As I remember the results, WD40 cut the untreated fasteners' break-free torque by 1/3rd, real penetrating fluids by a half and the home brew by 2/3rds.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

DO NOT get acetone near bare aluminum.

Got a side cover all shiny, painted the letters with enamel fingernail polish but colored outside the lines a bit. (Story of my life..) I used some nail polish remover with acetone.. big mistake. All that polishing for nothing. Seems that tarnish went DEEP into the metal.

I don't know how it affects it structurally, but if you worry about looks, keep that stuff away from your pretty aluminum parts.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

That formula is good to know, obviously it will be handy on any (except Al.) metals around the house and shop. I use Kroil, but it has gotten so expensive that I really can't afford it anymore. I do a lot tinkering on old metal stuff and could use it a lot. Right now I am working on the rusted up gear box of a blower for a blacksmith's forge. I have to get the gears to move a bit to unmesh so I can get them out of the box. The box is large and to get enough Kroil in it to do the job, I would need about a 1/2 gallon. That much Kano Kroil would put me back $40 to $60 bucks. If this blower were of some great value, I could factor that much cost into the selling price of the unit. But this blower will never be real valuable and is for me, not to be sold, so that makes the kroil price obscene. So now, Fred, you come along with this formula and save my bacon, uh, blower. Thank you!!!
      Ole Rusty Jack
      J.D."Jack" Smith
      1980G&S "Halfbreed"
      1978E straight job
      "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

hey fred,

the acetone, and atf were also the base products
        of a fuel cleaner i read a while back on the net,
        there was another product that was mixed with it,
        but cant remember what it was,
        the acetone acted as a cleaner
        and the atf as a fuel stabiliser.

seems like atf can be used for a variety
        of reasons.

atf - auto trans fluid.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Might want to do a bit of google searcning for 'acetone atf mix'. Seems there's as many out there claiming this to be urban legend as not...

YMMV
          Ken Talbot

Comment

We used to mix diesel, atf, and brake fluid. About equal parts of the first two, (say a litre of each) and 1/4 to 1/2cup DOT 3 brake fluid.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

PB Blaster and heat. I've heard that if/when you have a stuck whatever, just put heat to it (via torch or whatever's handy) then hit it with PB Blaster. Most other penetrating oils will evaporate but PB is supposed to get sucked into the crevices even more than normal. Whether or not it's true though is anyone's guess. That being said, I use it without the heat and am very satisfied with the results. YMMV
              1980 XS11SG
              Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
              Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
              ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Working...
              X