X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serial number questions

Hi everyone,

Remember the serial number questions? Here is one for you
    1978e came in Macho Maroon only ??? 1979f came in Magenta Red , Indigo Blue. We have serial number 2H7-026857 which is suppose to be a 79 standard all original. frame and engine numbers match, but it is is in a brown. What's up with that? We were told by some XS11 er''''s Like that!!! Ha Ha that it might be a transition bike, maybe really last of 78, but not titled till 79. But next question, what about the color??? Brownish?? Special order??? Checked with Yamaha, they gave us the dealer in Illinois, but no longer in business, we know it is all orignal parts and definitely not an 80 or above.

Any thoguhts on this??

Thanks
    Sherry and her motorhead!!

Maybe its just a really good repaint. My 78E was black when I got it and looked like a factory paint job. Mine is Charcoal Gray Metallic now.
    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

I had a 78 E years ago that had original paint and had sat outside in the sun for several years before I bought it. It was the original Macho Maroon but was badly checked and faded from the sun making it look more brown than maroon. Check inside the side covers or better yet the underside of the tank for the true color. Yours might just be faded too. I have had quite a few old Yamahas that color, seemed to have been popular in the 70's, and weathered ones were all brownish as I recall.
      buffalo
      80 XS1100SG

Comment

Born on date

I checked on the white tag on frmae and it says 6/78 was the manufacture date, but it is a 79 standard, so maybe it really was Macho Maroon.

Sherry

Comment

Working...
        X