Adjustable Flow Exhaust? a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable Flow Exhaust? a good idea?

Am I thinking correctly that the reason people don't recommend switching to any old style of exhaust tip is that different exhausts allow more or less air to exit the bike changing the pressure on the engine?

If this is the case, couldn't you create a device kind of like a camera aperature that you could open or close manually to adjust the back pressure?

Am I way off here? Honestly, correct me if I am way off. I don't know how much I understand about the stuff.
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Check out SuperTrapp...already being done with removable discs...works quite well.
    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

It works but is only really useful for racers as you can tune for changing conditions.

Most of us want bikes we don't have to tune every other day!
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

It could be done quite simply by utilizing intake vacuum to actuate a diaphram driven restrictor. When the manifold pressure is high (close to atmospheric) the restrictor would be open and when the vaccum is low (highest vacuum) the restrictor would be pulled closed. It seems to me that something so simple would have been done already if it was truly beneficial.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I have my Kerker set up so the baffle pipe can be dislodged from the can and be pushed forward for an open exhaust. To quiet it back down, I grab the baffle's cross bolt with a hook and pull it back into place. It can be done in about 10 seconds without removing anything from the bike.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
            It works but is only really useful for racers as you can tune for changing conditions.

Most of us want bikes we don't have to tune every other day!
            They arnt just for racing applications and you shouldnt have to make constant changes as most people dont see that large of a change in environment that would justify a change. Once they are set up good you should be good. If I had the $ to throw down on two baffels I would replace my rusted mega phones on my stock pipes and never look back. Not only do they look nice, sound nice, they can improve the power of our bikes. If done correctly.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

a guy up the road has a new harley,
              with straight thru pipes, it was fitted
              with a flap on the back of the exhaust,
              but i cant remember how it was
              actuated.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                a guy up the road has a new harley,
                with straight thru pipes, it was fitted
                with a flap on the back of the exhaust,
                but i cant remember how it was
                actuated.
                Hi Pete,
                back in the 1920s when most bikes (and cars) had an exhaust cut-out as a standard fitting I believe they pulled on a wire cable to operate it.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                  It could be done quite simply by utilizing intake vacuum to actuate a diaphram driven restrictor. When the manifold pressure is high (close to atmospheric) the restrictor would be open and when the vaccum is low (highest vacuum) the restrictor would be pulled closed. It seems to me that something so simple would have been done already if it was truly beneficial.
                  I believe it has, and was called EXUP by Yamaha, others have done similar. I think it was electrically actuated via servo in stead of vacuum.
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

What about the same sort of thing on the air intake? Switching to pods requires a rejet. What if you were able to reduce or increase the amount of air coming in to the engine?
                    Sam Christensen
                    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
                    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

What about the same sort of thing on the air intake? Switching to pods requires a rejet. What if you were able to reduce or increase the amount of air coming in to the engine?
                      I think that is called a constant velocity carb, such as the carb fitted stock to our bikes. As for the exhaust, it would be a lot of work, and trouble to keep clean and operational over 100K miles of normal owner use. the extra one to five HP probably would be easier to achieve via close tolerance machining. JMHO
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsam View Post
                        There is such a device already fitted to every scoot! It's actuated by the right grip.

Actually, in all seriousness, they have been doing what you are trying to grasp on cars for some time now. Ford calls it "Intake Manifold Runner Control". It changes between long intake runners for low end torque and short runners for high rpm horses. Yamaha calls it "V Boost". First engine I remember seeing it on was the Chrysler 3.5 they put in the Intrepid. It actually works quite well, in every application I can think of. Toss in variable cam timing and the 100 hp per liter mark is the base line instead of the goal. The 2000 Ford Focus rally car pulled some 350+ HP continuous from their 2.2(?).
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Many of the newer sport bikes use a servo controlled variable length intake.

Basically a telescoping velocity stack at the intake of the fuel injection system.
                          Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                            There is such a device already fitted to every scoot! It's actuated by the right grip.

That's awesome!...and true
                            1980 XS1100G
                            Tulsa, OK

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post

Actually, in all seriousness, they have been doing what you are trying to grasp on cars for some time now. Ford calls it "Intake Manifold Runner Control". It changes between long intake runners for low end torque and short runners for high rpm horses. Yamaha calls it "V Boost". First engine I remember seeing it on was the Chrysler 3.5 they put in the Intrepid. It actually works quite well, in every application I can think of. Toss in variable cam timing and the 100 hp per liter mark is the base line instead of the goal. The 2000 Ford Focus rally car pulled some 350+ HP continuous from their 2.2(?).
                              Originally posted by Guy_b_g View Post
                              Many of the newer sport bikes use a servo controlled variable length intake.

Basically a telescoping velocity stack at the intake of the fuel injection system.
                              The same theory applies to exhaust as well as intake. Unfortunately, its harder to apply to the exhaust without having a really bulky system. Thats why it is more common to see two stages for the exhaust, full length, and cut-out opened. Buel has it and its open via servo controlled by ECM when it hits X% throttle positions... Its cool stuff but a little compicated for "back yard" mechanics to actually make effective. It would require lots of calculations and a dyno to verify that it opens at the correct RPM to actually improve performance.
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                              X