Stiff Clutch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff Clutch problem

Alrighty. Since the rebuild, the clutch has been very stiff. It requires some pull, much more than before and much more than any of the other bikes in the neighborhood. Ya'll suggested I lube the cable. It seemed to help a tiny bit, but not tremendously.

The problem seems to be under the cover. The lever under the cover is very hard to pull. I am afarid that it will bend or break.

Why would it be so hard to move? I cannot lift it by hand, it takes too much force.

Here is an image I stole from a post by 81xsproject, The lever is off in the photo, but that is the lever that is so hard to lift.

Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

I think I posted this in the wrong section. Can someone move it? Sorry.
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Make sure you cable is not kinked or making sharp bends. That lever is supposed to be too hard to lift by hand, it's an indication that your springs are in good shape. In my experience, even using a lever (screwdriver) it's a bit stiff.

Comment

Don't

know if this condition is as the pic but the screw ought to extend past the nut somewhat. with the screw engaged that deeply I would think something is wrong.
        '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
        Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
        All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
        Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Yep, that lever should not be something you can grab and move by hand, unless your a human torque wrench!!

I would also suggest you look at the clutch cable routing for kinks or sharp bends. Did you replace the springs? perhaps someone put some REALLY heavy duty springs in there on you.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I would also think the cable routing may be the problem. Check for nice WIDE bends on the cable as it goes from the left handlebar to the cover. If it's the same 30 year old cable that has been on the bike since new, I would also think about a replacement. I did have one cable that was hard to use, as it was just beginning to come apart inside the housing.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

...but the screw ought to extend past the nut somewhat. with the screw engaged that deeply I would think something is wrong.

I don't think it has anything to do with his problem, but that isn't the stock nut that goes there. That one's much thicker.

Sort of just reaffirming others... with the cable off the lever on the bars, does the clutch lever move free and easy with no binding? With the cable disconnected at both ends, does it slide EXTREMELY smooth and easy back and forth inside the shielding? If the answer is yes to those, then the problem is in the clutch.

That being said, if you're comparing your clutch to a modern bike with possibly a hydraulic clutch, there'll be no comparison.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own