bike or wife for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike or wife for sale

First off sorry this isn't in the classified section, I couldn't get it to work. My wife is saying "too many toys." I am selling my 1980 full dress, everything works, good paint, good everything bike complete with an almost totally complete parts bike( missing head). I want what I paid for the bike about a thousand miles ago and only a few months. I'm sorry but I have to have a newer bike that I can trust. I paid 2 grand for it without the parts bike and a couple of hundred dollars later in repair and maintainence. It has somewhere around 23,000 miles on it. The fairing has an AM/FM/CB. The bike also has one of those weird triangle seat backs so that you can have it on the driver or move it back for 2 up. Brand new front tire has less than 10 miles it. Back tire has lots of tread left, and so do the brakes. Or you can take the wife for about the same price. She's about the same year model and milage. If you are interested I can be reached here, or email to
    jasonwatkins6@hotmail.com, or you can call me at work 8- 5 central time at 1-800-589-3409.

Thanks, Jason.

Not to sound like a smart a$$ or anything but it almost appears that you contradicted yourself. If its an "everything works, good everything bike" then why can't you trust it?

You started off saying the wife thinks you have too many toys as the reason for getting rid of it... but then follow that with saying you need to replace it with something you can trust. That doesn't sound like decreasing the number of toys to me..... just improving the quality. LOL

I personally love these bikes and it seems a shame to see someone get rid of one after only "a couple months and a thousand miles". My daily rider is a 78 Standard that sat outside uncovered for a little over 2 years before I bought it. I paid $700 for it and have put about $500 into it so far. Out of all the bikes I've ever owned it is the most reliable. Then again.... I enjoy puttering around with a wrench just as much as I enjoy riding.
    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Well, I am used to riding liquid cooled bikes that don't seem to get this hot after long rides. I live in Fort Worth so if I really want to ride I have to go out to the country. With these bikes you have to check everything out before and after you ride any distance. With my Magna I make sure the tires have some air in em, and a tank of gas, and go anywhere I want, that's what I wanted the xs for. Plus the only way you can get parts for the XS is to pay dearly or do like I did and get you a good parts bike.
      For the other part of your question, I have 1 new car, 1 van for traveling, 1 pickup for hauling, 1 Lincoln mk8 for hauling $%#, 2 dirt bikes, 1 four wheeler, and the two afor mentioned streetbikes. I just don't feel that a 23 year old bike has the durability for the long rides I do. I sold my sportster, ducati, and gold wing(after it had 80,000 miles) for the same reason.

Comment

what color is she, have you riden her hard?
        oh, the bike that is.
        Rocky
        00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
        80 XS11 Special -sold
        77 HD Sportster
        75 Norton Commando

Comment

I live here in beaumont,tx I check the oil, the air in the tires and will take off anywhere on my 78E. it doesn't look that great , but i trust it to go anywhere.
          Shawn
          78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
          78 XS1100E Parts
          www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Thats the way I ride my old 78 Standard. I check the oil once a week and since I've had it... I've only had to add a few ounces. Most Sundays.... I top off the tank.... ride until I hit half and head home. I've already worn the tread off the tire that came on it and the bike has never once let me down. I've never owned a water cooled bike.... though my snowmobile is water cooled.
            1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

Comment

I bought my 78 E 2 years ago. It sat outside unused for 20 years. It is my daily transportation through rain, fog, hail, 115 degree summer days, and everything in between. Last summer I rode it to Canada from Calif. for Big Is. Deuce. 2,815 miles in 7 days of riding without a hiccup. I've put a little over 10,000 miles since I bought it and the only thing that has malfunctioned on it was the Iggy box. Even then it was still running on 2 cylinders. I wouldn't hesitate to hop on it and ride to anywhere in the world (I'd take a spare black box with me).
              To each his own, if you want to sell the bike for something else then more power to you. I look at new bikes and I just appreciate my XS even more (only new bike I'd look at for the street would be a V Max for me).
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff
                Thats the way I ride my old 78 Standard. I check the oil once a week and since I've had it... I've only had to add a few ounces. Most Sundays.... I top off the tank.... ride until I hit half and head home. I've already worn the tread off the tire that came on it and the bike has never once let me down. I've never owned a water cooled bike.... though my snowmobile is water cooled.
                You would think that a snowmobile wouldn't need to be cooled. It is after all supposed to be cold out when you use it.
                79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                07 V-star 1100
                Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

my bike: 79 special
                  my car: 97 cutlass supreme.

I honestly trust my bike as much or more than my car. Parts aren't too bad if you know where to look. I have a feeling this page scares some people (as it did me initially). You get on hear and read all these problems people have. But you gotta remember - somebody digs up an old bike somewhere with problems, they're gonna go looking on the internet for help and there's a good chance they'll end up posting their problem here. On the contrary, if somebody has an XS with no problems - they're likely not gonna get on here and post about it.

Comment

I can understand not wanting to trust a twenty-some year old bike even though I don't have any trouble out of my XS. When you think about something of that age, it just makes you wonder what gremlins are waiting for you when you least expect them. With that in mind, I took several test rides this summer on new bikes but didn't find anything I wanted to buy. I think I'll just keep the old XS for a while longer.
                    Bill Murrin
                    Nashville, TN
                    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Snowmobile engines have several disadvantages. One... they are enclosed under a hood.... they have to work much harder than the engine on a motorcycle since they have to move something just as heavy as a motorcycle by pushing and plowing it thru the snow..... plus they have a LOT more traction than a cycle. I can get the skis of my snowmobile higher off the ground than I can the front tire of my old XS. LOL

The BIGGEST reason for water cooling on a snowmobile is pure and simple horsepower. Just as with cycles.... water cooling allows a lighter and higher revving engine. With cars.... every 10 lbs lighter is an extra HP.. with cycles it is more like 1lb..... and with snowmobiles.... it is on the order of several ounces.
                      1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

Comment

Re: bike or wife for sale

Originally posted by jasonwatkins

Or you can take the wife for about the same price. She's about the same year model and milage

Thanks, Jason.
                        I spell relief D I V O R C E.

Next thing you know she'll want you to sell your guns and Fishing poles.

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I have a XS 400 I'll trade ya for the wife .... provided she can cook and clean.
                          wpc57

'81LH Midnight Special "Margret"

I ain't as good as I once was..but I am as good once as I ever was.... (Toby Keith)

Comment

Hmmm................The "wife excuse"....... Never could go with that one.
                            Garry
                            '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                            outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Wife/Bike Sale

Wait! Before you make the trade, does the XS400 cook and clean? I might be interested.

Ralph

Comment

Working...
                              X