Some Items For Sale/Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Items For Sale/Trade

Hey people. I'm selling a couple of used items that came with my XS. I'll never use them, and they are generic.

I have a turbo winshield and the hardware. It looks like this one:

http://www.cycleshopusa.com/products.asp?nm=1460

I have some Willie and Max saddlebags and sissy bar bag that look like:

http://www.willieandmax.com/products...?item=58481-20

That picture only shows the sissy bar bag, but the saddlebags match and have a straight cut, no angle. I can email pics if wanted. I'm willing to consider trades for parts or whatever, and am totally negotiable on what a fair trade/price is as I have no set value. I mainly just want to get rid of them because I know I'll never use them. Being young and dumb I hate the way the windshield looks on the bike and I'm not into the leather-and-chaps saddle-bag cruiser thing. I'm a backpack wearer. Thanks!
    1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Huh... sounds like me. But I also don't take very long trips.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Negatory backpack

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post
      Being young and dumb I hate the way the windshield looks on the bike and I'm not into the leather-and-chaps saddle-bag cruiser thing. I'm a backpack wearer. Thanks!
      Hi Jimby,
      old and stupid trumps young and dumb, eh?
      I'm with you about the windshield.
      If I want to ride behind a windshield I'll drive the family Buick.
      But not about the luggage.
      It's essential to have some kind of luggage (not necessarily Willie & Max soft bags but something) to carry your gear rather than having it strapped to your body.
      Wearing a backpack on a bike is definitely dumb.
      Should you fall off, the last thing you need is to have 20lbs of stuff strapped to your back to exacerbate your injuries when you hit the blacktop.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
        Hi Jimby,
        old and stupid trumps young and dumb, eh?
        I'm with you about the windshield.
        If I want to ride behind a windshield I'll drive the family Buick.
        But not about the luggage.
        It's essential to have some kind of luggage (not necessarily Willie & Max soft bags but something) to carry your gear rather than having it strapped to your body.
        Wearing a backpack on a bike is definitely dumb.
        Should you fall off, the last thing you need is to have 20lbs of stuff strapped to your back to exacerbate your injuries when you hit the blacktop.
        My main luggage on my back is clothes, or layers, so it's nice and soft. Some biker friends of mine have told me how their backpacks actually saved them by providing a soft, cushiony pad for their back to land on. One in particular did a somersault over a hood and landed on his BP, which may have saved his spine. I see what you mean for the heavier items though. On those occasions I strap the pack to the sissy bar and let the pack rest on the passenger seat.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post
          - - - On those occasions I strap the pack to the sissy bar and let the pack rest on the passenger seat.
          Hi Jimby,
          I did say "or something" right? As you say, something as simple as a bunjie cord can hold your backpack to your bike rather than to your body.
          Admittedly, I was thinking of a backpack holding a bunch of wrenches or perhaps a 12-pack instead of a few items of clothing.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            Hi Jimby,
            I did say "or something" right? As you say, something as simple as a bunjie cord can hold your backpack to your bike rather than to your body.
            Admittedly, I was thinking of a backpack holding a bunch of wrenches or perhaps a 12-pack instead of a few items of clothing.
            Fred - it seems not everyone employs their bike as a pack mule. Personally, since my bike is my primary transportation, having luggage is indispensible, and with a sidecar, I can only imagine how much you have come to rely on the extra space. I really like to know that I can stop at the store and pick up the groceries, or pick up fast-food on the way home (I keep a drink carrier in the saddlebag). I don't see how the zip-splats can handle NOT having that versatility. However, I guess they just pack lighter than we do, and plan ahead more, or maybe they just ride a lot less than we do.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

I have to say that I rather like my windshield, and it's not at all like the family buick (chevy in my case, actually several of them) as I have a shorty windshield on my Vetter fairing and actually can get a good shot of wind but just sitting up nice and straight or get sheltered by crouching a bit. For me it's the best of both worlds, and since like cbug I ride all year round (unless it's steady rain), it's nice to have the thing to hide behind in the cold. I also like having the luggage as well, but I have never been able to get a drink carrier to not topple over in the trunk or bag and spill anyways. But if I convince everyone that they want a milkshake (or frosty from wendy's) the prop at the front of the bag pretty well with the rest of the meal packed in the keep them from moving. I've just never had ANY luck with less solid drinks that are not in a bottle.

That said, I am trying to come up with a design for a drink carrier that will carry easily when empty but hold the drinks for me in the luggage, just haven't figured it out yet, and I'm not going where the cruiser guys appear to have gone. I saw a nice Yamaha cruiser at the dealer with a CUP HOLDER on the handlebars for goodness sakes. It's bad enough in a car, but on a bike? Can you imagine the results of having to maneuver quickly with that hot coffee from starbucks in the drink holder? Ouch!
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

"If I want to ride behind a windshield I'll drive the family Buick. "

He's obviously never had a Turbo windshield on his XS. It's too small for the angle you need on an XS, so it's like driving the Buick with the windshield out!

I have always had my bikes as main transport, too, so I have had to rig some pretty weird bag/trunk combos on my various bikes.

As for no windshield, any fool can be uncomfortable in the field, or that's what my CO always says...

I would change it to: "If I want to ride with a full-face I'll drive the family Chrysler. "
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                  "If I want to ride behind a windshield I'll drive the family Buick. "

He's obviously never had a Turbo windshield on his XS. It's too small for the angle you need on an XS, so it's like driving the Buick with the windshield out!

. "
                  I agree the Turbo is probably too small for the XS. I have one on my 650 Maxim which it suits just fine.
                  Maxim Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

My 80 special has one on it, and it is too small to get much protection.

I had the same windshield on one of my '82 virago 750s and it worked fairly well. Different fork angle and the dash area sits higher making a shorter shield more feasible.
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      Fred - it seems not everyone employs their bike as a pack mule. Personally, since my bike is my primary transportation, having luggage is indispensible, and with a sidecar, I can only imagine how much you have come to rely on the extra space. I really like to know that I can stop at the store and pick up the groceries, or pick up fast-food on the way home (I keep a drink carrier in the saddlebag). I don't see how the zip-splats can handle NOT having that versatility. However, I guess they just pack lighter than we do, and plan ahead more, or maybe they just ride a lot less than we do.
                      I getcha on that. Thankfully I live walking distance to any place I need items from, if not I take the truck. But as for packing, I always need to have a flashlight and my Leatherman. My Leatherman makes up for a whole tool chest, so that solves the wrench issue. Especially after I pick up a Crunch model. As for beer/drinks, I'd rather just stop and pay .50 cents at a 7-11 for a bottle of water than haul it. In the event of a breakdown, hey, this is western Washington, I drink right from the stream and have for years, without any ill effects (mental health aside).

Luckily I haven't tried this next to any nuclear power plants or dead deer. But, if I need more security than my 9mm in the shoulder holster, the Leatherman Charge in my Alpinestars cargo pants, my cell phone, wallet, keys and flashlight tucked into my black knight jacket, I just put a Nalgene in either side of the pack along with my survival kit, emergency pain killers and comfort items. My BP will actually out-haul the Willie and Max saddlebags and sissy-bar bag combined, both in room AND weight! I don't like the way the sissy-bar looks though, so I may consider a tank-bag mod for my BP.

After having been hit by a car already, I look like batman regardless of conditions. Armor head to toe.
                      Last edited by jimbyjimb; 04-30-2010, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X