It burns my @ss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It burns my @ss...

...when people put things on Craigslist and make them out to be something they are not. This guy posted a XS1100 for sale and it reads "Parts or fix, has paperwork, ran last year. Just want it out of my barn, or else I'm going to scrap it. Any reasonable offer considered. Not going to waste time with pics, if you're interested, come look at it. It needs a seat, the fuel tank has rust inside, and the keyswitch is gone. I have paperwork on the bike."

Then, I email him and this is what I get...
    "So far, the best offer is $300. The person should be here by Saturday. If you email me a phone number, and he's not here by then, I'll call you and let you know. The bike is located in Gillett, PA.

I must note that the ad may be misleading - the paperwork is a Bill of Sale from GA state. GA does not require titles on motor vehicles produced before 1986, as such, you will need to make a scratch of the VIN number to apply for a title in NY state. They will issue a title on the bill of sale from GA state with the VIN scratch on file, but I just thought I'd let you know that the bike is being sold as is, where is, and I'm not going to get involved in the paperwork at all, for the price I'm asking.

Anyway, if you're still interested, email me a phone number and I'll get back to you if the other guy flakes.

If the Yamaha sells, I also have a 1976 Goldwing resto project that I'll let go for $200, but you're on your own getting a title for that one. (There is a method to do it, and it costs about $200.)"

Basically I told the guy that a BOS (bill of sale) is not enough to get a title in NY no matter what state you claim it was bought from. You always need a transferable proof of ownership, some states use the registration card and other use a title! Just burns my @ss when people try to pawn off their problems and try to convince others that its "a simple process" to obtain a new title! Not only that but he must think he's runing his own personal EBay! Sorry, just my little rant for the day, I was really hoping I found another XS for cheap that had a title.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Sounds like HE is the major flake!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

my personal favorite is the people who post a bike with no pictures, then refuse to send any because they are too busy.

There was a guy posted a xs, along with a bunch of other bikes, said it was stripped and ready for "direction" but could be returned to stock. I asked for pictures and explained that I was 3 hours away and not going to drive that far without some idea of what it looks like. He says sorry, hes to busy to take pictures. WTF it takes like 5 minutes to take a couple pictures and e-mail them, that is like 250.00 a minute for his time if I had purchased the bike. BTW that bike is still for sale 2 months later.

You can get flaky buyers too,
      After I moved I sold a trailer on craigslist, had a guy call and set up a time to see it, he was about 20 minutes away. Later I had another person call and set up a time earlier then the first guy, I should mention that 2nd guy actually e-mailed me first, just couldn't call until after work. Second guy was driving 2 hours and said he was 99% sure he was going to buy. I e-mail first guy and tell him trailer may be sold, I'll let him know if it doesn't so he can come look at it at the scheduled time. He calls me and yells at me on the phone, I hang up on him, then he shows up at my house early to try to buy the trailer and when I refuse explaining that the other guy had the first appointment he stands around trying to look intimidating, and then yells thanks for nothing and peels out of my driveway after 2nd guy buys the trailer. What an a-hole.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Craigslist a-holes

I had a wonderful experience last summer. An outboard motor, 6 HP for $200. I called the guy, made the deal, then drove 2 hours and 20 min to get it. He sold it a half hour before I arrived, for $205. All he would say is "Money talks"
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

put out the fire...

This is my response to the above email...
          "Interesting... no matter what you do NY will not give you a title, I
          would end up having to use the title service like you mention for the
          gold wing. I've been through this already and know it cannot be done
          with just a Bill Of Sale (BOS) no matter what state the BOS is from!
          If the bike is truly from GA then you should of received some type of
          transferable proof or ownership! If you go to NYSDMV.GOV you can read
          what qualifies as proof of ownership and a BOS does not suffice. You
          might want to get a better enderstanding of how the law works before
          you ruin someones day!"

And his response...
          "Funny, I've done this about 200 times over the last 3 years. I've been buying bikes and cars from GA for awhile now, and I haven't had any problems getting any of them registered in NY or PA once they're sold.

Thanks for your opinion, though."

And mine again.
          "Wow, that is funny, about 200 times...you must be a pro at it by now
          then. It sounds like you should have no problem getting the title for
          this bike then since your so familiar with the process. Why havent you
          done it already, you could get more for it you know. Could you
          recommend what DMV papers to fill out if your not going to do it? Its
          hard to tell what the bike is worth with out seeing it, and its not
          worth $300 to me without the title."
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Any members from GA? Can you confirm what he is saying about not having to register a bike without a title? Seems like you have to use some type of transferable proof of ownership...

Im going to call NYS Title Bureau and chat with them...
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

Comment

Working...
            X