Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before/After

Aloha all,

Here's a couple of pictures of my bike before and after the work. The ammo-can saddlebags aren't installed on the after picture yet due to rear-brake work, but should be on shortly. This thing HAULS! I'm still working out some of the kinks, but it's one hell of a ride. I wouldn't have been able to even get it moving without all the help and info found on these forums. The shocks were cashed, the spark-plug wires were shot, the brakes all had to be replaced, and a bunch of other work.

The paint's still not finished, I need to reinstall the seat-rails and bags, and I've a few more mechanical things to take care of, but I'm almost there. The pictures are kind of crabby, and I apologize for the rain in the second photo, but I'd just pulled into the drive. Anyway, here she is.

Thanks!
    Spider

1978 XS1100
    "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

like it, lookin good! what kind of mufflers r them?

Comment

Is it just me, or is some thing wrong with the rear shock on the "after" picture?
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Nah there is nothing wrong with that shock Cbug. It is one of those Transfer style shocks...Ya know the ones that transfer all the road bumps directly to your spine.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

is that a fork brace I see ? Why improve the front end and then remove the shocks from the back ? Kinda counter productive isn't it ? other than that not bad , tho I probably would have left it stock , that paint looked like it was in pretty good shape .

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
            Nah there is nothing wrong with that shock Cbug. It is one of those Transfer style shocks...Ya know the ones that transfer all the road bumps directly to your spine.
            Exactly. Cervical Disk brand shocks

I actually prefer a rigid. Riding soft-tail to me feels like riding the middle of an unstable, whippy, spring-like thing.

The fork brace comes in handy, especially when all one has is front suspension. Also why I'm going to be overhauling it soon to beef it up.

The paint wasn't stock. It was actually blue over yellow over stock maroon. It was due a paint-job. Besides, bright blue doesn't go with ammo-can saddlebags :P

And as far as I know, they are stock sportster mufflers.
            1978 XS1100

Comment

Originally posted by TDodge7 View Post
              is that a fork brace I see ? Why improve the front end and then remove the shocks from the back ? Kinda counter productive isn't it ? other than that not bad , tho I probably would have left it stock , that paint looked like it was in pretty good shape .
              You mean something like... 'better before than after'?

That would be my take on it as well.

1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
              1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
              1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
              1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
              2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Hey Spider,

Welcome to the forum. Where in upstate are you located? Im excited to think/hope your near me in Oswego, it all depends on ones definition of 'upstate'.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

The riding sensation

Originally posted by Spider View Post
                  - - - I actually prefer a rigid. Riding soft-tail to me feels like riding the middle of an unstable, whippy, spring-like thing. - - -
                  Hi Spider,
                  my first decade riding was on rigid frame bikes because back then only the unaffordable new ones had rear suspension.
                  To me riding a rigid is like that scene in "Rocky" where Rocky takes a punch to the cheek in slow motion and his face goes all wobbly and mucus flies everywhere except it ain't that cheek and not quite mucus and it goes on and on and on and on.
                  OTOH, I like the paint job and the thought of ammo-box hard bags is a delight. Certainly an upgrade from the two plastic kitty-litter container "hard bags" shown one time on the XS650 list.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I lke the fact he has a bedroll strapped to the bike, and a roll of duct tape!! Not sure I want to ride a bike far enough I can't be back in bed that night if I might need duct tape to get it there.

Nothing irreversible done to the bike, so if you find the back is killing you after that long ride you need to camp out for, you can find some shocks to put on it. As to the color, if you like it, that is all that matters.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

I like it, thought about doing something similar with a shadow I used to have but SWMBO (who's bike it was) wanted blue instead. I'd like to do a sidecar rig WWII style with an xs. Post some pictures when you get the ammo cans on, what size are you going to use? They've got some great big ones you could mount up as a trunk too.
                      1979 xs1100 Special -
                      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                      My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

I think it looks good, Spider. You in the service?

Also, you can click the link in my sig to add yourself to the map, maybe find some folks locally to ride or wrench with.

NM, you're already on there!
                        Mike C
                        Lake Orion, Michigan
                        '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          I lke the fact he has a bedroll strapped to the bike, and a roll of duct tape!! Not sure I want to ride a bike far enough I can't be back in bed that night if I might need duct tape to get it there.
                          It doesn't NEED the duct-tape. It's just in case. I always carry it when I travel, don't care what I'm driving. That, 550 chord, a knife, and a zippo, and I'm generally good to go. Need to add a tarp to that bedroll though.

I'm using 20mm ammo cans. Brackets are being fashioned from various bits of metal, including a leg-extension thing from a weight bench. I'm not in the service, just dig the look of the bikes. Survival bikes too. Eventually I'll be blacking out a good deal of it. Laying OD Green truck bed-liner down for paint. Bunch of three inch spikes and a battle-axe backrest...

I digress. How far upstate. Well I'm on the map:P I'm actually in Auburn. 40 min West of Syracuse.(if you go the speed-limit)
                          1978 XS1100

Comment

olive drab

I like the idea esp with the ammo cans - pplz post as pix available - your ideas on suspension are ouch tho

John in San Antonio
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hey spider, Im in Oswego so I know where Auburn is. I bought the side covers from Ms. Pinupbetty in weedsport... Its nice to know there are some "central/upstate" NY members.
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                              X