Motorcycle Communicator Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Communicator Advice

Anyone use a rider to passenger communicator? I am looking for one and could use a little advice. What are the pros and cons of the one your using?

The Chatterbox one look really nice, but very pricey, I have a small budget to work with. don't we all these days? lol

Ozz
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

We YELL, very cheap!

Plus I don't like to talk alot on the bike anyways
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
      We YELL, very cheap!

Plus I don't like to talk alot on the bike anyways
      Yeah I tried that but SWMBO can hear me most of the time, then I have to turn my head. Rather have a comm. lol

1980 XS 1100SG
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Ozz,
        I've been looking at them for a while now myself.

I keep hearing from several to steer clear of the Chatterboxes... hear they're problematic. Told this by motorcycle shops around my area that sell both Chatterboxes and Scala Riders. One salesman's actual words were, "We see returns for problems with Chatterboxes 20 to 1 compared to Scala's."

But Scala's have a few glitches themselves. Buddy of mine's got the Q teamset, ($350) likes it, but has an occaisional problem or 2 getting it to synch up sometimes. Usually will do it, though. Sweet when it gets going though.

Scala's coming out w/ the improved G-4 series soon. But the price climbed to $400. Extended talk range though... 1 mile compared to 350 feet! Plus, will let you synch w/ up to 3 seperate bikers, or one add'l couple on another bike.
        Q series will only let you synch up to 1 other.

JC Whitney's catalog lists a couple of cheaper Nady's... but they don't have the features the other's do, plus they're wired... not Bluetooth. Item # CCL077648 or CCL039803 both are $99.99

They also list one called an IC-998, item # CCL312178... hard wired... for $60.99

But, if you want to do other things, like use a cell while riding, intergrate a gps or a radar detector, play MP3 or Sirius Radio... as well as talk to your passenger... OR talk to another co-rider that also has one via wireless Bluetooth... I think Scala's the way to go... if ya got the $$$.

But if all you want to do is talk w/ the passenger, & hard wires aren't a hassel... a cheap one should work.

Good luck, whatever you decide Ozz.
        HTH's ya out.
        Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Used to use a wired set, back when I had a passenger. it worked very well and cost about $30

My biggest issue with all the modern sets is they are FAR too expensive for what they are. Near as I can tell they have about $12 worth of parts and engineering but sell for hundreds of dollars.

I just haven't got around to building one, due to the above mentioned lack of a pasenger.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

FireFox is the modern version of two tin cans and a string....that's a bit of a strech, but same principle. It all zips up in a 3in. diamater pouch. Can plug in a mp3 or whatever too. Have a set, but don't much use it. Dern thing was a bill fifty back some 5ys. ago when I bought it new! Was apopular choice for guys trail riding or on four-wheelers as they would plug in their small two-ways and could communicate with each other. Could plug in a CB if you wanted too. Work good unless using two- up and forgrt to unplug getting off....got interesting a couple times. If you wanted, could plug in a couple little two-ways, that way no cord between the two....JAT.....plus I'm just trying to get what's left of the virgins before the Caly Rally for posts
            Last edited by motoman; 04-17-2010, 09:24 PM.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I'm with you Crazcunk!!

I have been struggling with the price that is outrageous, but I would really like a comm devise for me and the SWMBO. We don't need fancy stuff for I-Pod or cell or any of that stuff. I just want to talk to her!! And hear back, thats a new one, because she hears things I don't with my hearing imparement. I may have to put in some hellacous hours and find a circut and make up some boards. I could waste a whole winter on this. "shudder"
              Ole Jack.
              J.D."Jack" Smith
              1980G&S "Halfbreed"
              1978E straight job
              "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Basically just need a bread board with a bunch of jacks for all the devices you want to plug in.

I already have GMRS radios, Cellphone, AM-FM mp3 radio, sat etc.

What I need is a little connector box where I can plug each of these devices in and set a priority so the phone or 2-way radio can mute the radio or Mp3 while you talk.

I can't see it costing a lot.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

comm set

On ebay I have seen a really cheap setup, and actually found out one of our members had already purchased and used it.IIRC it was sold for about 15 bucks. here are his comments when I asked him about it.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well it IS cheap and you won't marvel at the engineering or anything - my wife and i have the same problem with full face helmets - i figured i wasted more money on lesser things in my day i don't sweat it any more...

i do wish the earpiece had a loop - i may try to fashion my own and glue/tape it in place so it stays on my ear...

but it does seem to be a little easier to spend a few bucks and get something you can use than a few hundred. Since the SWMBO and I just updated to full face helmets she has stated that we really need to get the helmet comm setup.
                  79 xs11sf
                  80 xs11g-bagger
                  81 xs11g-project(trike/chop?)
                  80 xs400 special(wife's trainer)

Comment

Originally posted by xs1100rider View Post
                    On ebay I have seen a really cheap setup, and actually found out one of our members had already purchased and used it.IIRC it was sold for about 15 bucks. here are his comments when I asked him about it.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well it IS cheap and you won't marvel at the engineering or anything - my wife and i have the same problem with full face helmets - i figured i wasted more money on lesser things in my day i don't sweat it any more...

i do wish the earpiece had a loop - i may try to fashion my own and glue/tape it in place so it stays on my ear...

but it does seem to be a little easier to spend a few bucks and get something you can use than a few hundred. Since the SWMBO and I just updated to full face helmets she has stated that we really need to get the helmet comm setup.

Do you know what unit he bought?

1980 XS 1100SG
                    Pod Filters
                    DynoJet Kit
                    T.C.'s Fuse Block
                    V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Walkie talkie

I have a pair of Insignia walkie talkies that come with earpeice/mic that fits under my helmet and has a loop for around the ear and they work very well. They claim to have a 10 mile range and I know for sure they work at 5 miles. They have a push to talk or voice operated function. The VOX is OK if your pipes aren't too loud which sometimes keeps the mic open. They work with a full face or open face helmet and they cost me less than $40.
                      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                      Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system
                      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Communicator

I have a Nady set with the FM radio built in which I would sell to someone for $20. I replaced it with the Scala and like the way I can wirelessly communicate with the passenger, listen to the GPS directions and the built in MP3. But they do cost a lot of $. But if all you want to do is talk, the Nady works great. . . . Bohn
                        Bohn
                        78 XS750SE Bought New In 78
                        80 XS1100SG "XS Combination"

Comment

ebay comm setup

I don't remember the listing but he is still an active member. jwhughes3 is the member I emailed when I was looking at them awhile ago.
                          79 xs11sf
                          80 xs11g-bagger

Comment

ebay comm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...item3a5897b464
                            I can never get links to work right, but this is the listing I found this afternoon when I was looking again.
                            79 xs11sf
                            80 xs11g-bagger

Comment

OK.

I picked up a Scala Rider Team Set off of E-Bay. Got a great price on it.

Here is my review.

I like it. I can converse with SWMBO with ease. The volume auto adjusts with the background noise so you dont have to keep playing with the volume while you ride. Conection to my cell via blue tooth works great, good when I am solo and SWMBO calls to make sure I am safe. The MP3 hook up is via a cord the plugs into the unit its self. Unit will mute the MP3 player when you chat with the pinion rider or when the cell rings. The auto volume does not work with the MP3 player. You have to adjust that on the player its self. Mounts to my fulll face helmet with out any issues. took about 15 minuets to get it installed. Does not leave any marks on the helmet or cause any damage to it.

Would I pay over $200.00 like I have seen it go for. No.

But I got it for a little over $100.00 on ebay so it was worth it to me.

Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
                              Pod Filters
                              DynoJet Kit
                              T.C.'s Fuse Block
                              V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Working...
                              X