impressions of new forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impressions of new forum

I am having a bit of trouble with the size of the webpages. My normal display setting is 800 x 600. I had to change to 1024 x 768 to prevent scrolling right and left. I have some trouble reading everything even after enlarging the text size. I suppose I'll have to monkey with windows settings some more.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

display size

Skids, consider video capabilites that equate to more than
    20 ft/lbs of mc torque.

Running 1600x1200 here, on dual 17" monitors.

Whenever I'm stuck using 800x600, I feel like I'm in a
    Ford Pinto, or an xs running on 2 cyl, or.... in an evil
    version of the 'way back machine'
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Dual monitors? One for each eye? I do consider updating after I consider my equipment is no longer useful. You are talking to a guy that owns 3 bikes that are over 20 years old. :-)
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

two for both eyes

Ha!

Well, only one of my bikes is 20, but one of my cages is 24.

Gear is so cheap, go for it!!!
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I had the same problem, I needed to reduce the font size on my browser. Now everthing displays OK.

Gary
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I also find it painfully slow to load the pages, and I have DSL at home and a T1 at work. Maybe moving to IE as suggested elsewhere will help?
            Dave Hogue
            1978 XS1100E "Sticky Fingers" (down, but not out)
            1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C "Phacops" (the everyday ride)
            1982 Honda CB750 Custom (the toy)
            Kennesaw, GA
            home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-dwhogue
            updated November 22, 2001

Comment

Hey Dave H try using Opera, it is much faster than either IE or Netscape.
              Keyboard not found, hit <F1> to continue

Comment

Dave Hogue wrote:
                I also find it painfully slow to load the pages, and I have DSL at home and a T1 at work. Maybe moving to IE as suggested elsewhere will help?
                That was probably my comment on JPs browser survey. On everything else, IE and NS seem about the same. But I was going nuts using NS, even on Tina's cable connection. Granted, I'm using an old version (4.5) which may further complicate things. Given Chris' suggestion, I'll give Opera a shot and see if that's any better.

Bill
                Bill K.
                1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

I am using Netscape 4.76, and until now, have been happy with it... no reason not to try out all of the options... I'll give it a try as well.
                  Dave Hogue
                  1978 XS1100E "Sticky Fingers" (down, but not out)
                  1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C "Phacops" (the everyday ride)
                  1982 Honda CB750 Custom (the toy)
                  Kennesaw, GA
                  home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-dwhogue
                  updated November 22, 2001

Comment

I am using IE 6.0 and ameritech DSL and it all works fine and fast from here.
                    Bill Woods
                    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Dear JP and others,
                      I, too, run my display at 800x600 on a 17"monitor, being over 40, I like my fonts a little larger than microscopic!! So....I scroll to the right, this eliminates the left column of links.

Question, how difficult would it be to add a LOGOUT link in other than the HOME view of the forum??? Now, just when I started this post I see a LOGOUT link next to my name in this POST Reply window, but haven't seen it on the other pages aside from the Forum HOME page!?!?

4th post, 1 to go.

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                        Question, how difficult would it be to add a LOGOUT link in other than the HOME view of the forum??? Now, just when I started this post I see a LOGOUT link next to my name in this POST Reply window, but haven't seen it on the other pages aside from the Forum HOME page!?!?
                        Quick answer, it would take some research and some work.

Explain why it would be beneficial to have such a feature. (Gary and Bill will tell you that if you can come up with a compelling reason, I can be persuaded. )

Comment

Originally posted by JP
                          Quick answer, it would take some research and some work.

Explain why it would be beneficial to have such a feature. (Gary and Bill will tell you that if you can come up with a compelling reason, I can be persuaded. )
                          Well J.P., I don't know how many other readers might leave the web page/forum without remembering to logout after reading the "last post" they wanted to read?? Not sure what problems that will cause for either the reader, or the forum if folks don't log out when they leave the forum?? And, right now we have to click back to the HOME forum page to Log Out, not a big hassle at all, but would be more convenient to be able to Log Out whereever we are in the Forum when we're done reading/posting!!??
                          Thanks for reading/replying.
                          T.C.
                          PS. This is 5th post, so should now be an Xsive!?
                          T. C. Gresham

Comment

Hey there Bill,
                            That's an awsome AVATAR, didn't know it(Forum) would accept animated gifs!?!?! Hmmmmmm, now what can I do with that!??

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58

Well J.P., I don't know how many other readers might leave the web page/forum without remembering to logout after reading the "last post" they wanted to read?? Not sure what problems that will cause for either the reader, or the forum if folks don't log out when they leave the forum??
                              Absolutely NONE at all. Leave, come back, don't log in. Unless you have 2 people with 2 usernames using the same computer I can't see why anyone would need to log out. Unless you're using someone else's computer or a computer in a public place.

To be honest, I don't know why there's a [logout] link in the reply to topic screen unless, like I said, you have 2 people using the same computer and you see that it's not *you* posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X