No announcement yet.

Bike, more than the rider, down.. lol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike, more than the rider, down.. lol.

I went to Eureka Springs, AR with a couple buddies this weekend. I went into a corner way too hot and wiped out into a guardrail pretty hard. It was more of a a glancing shot, not head on. I saw it coming and raised my right leg up high enough to clear getting it pinned between the bike and rail. The front end stopped and pitched the back end left and high-sided me onto the road. The bike slid down the road seat first, then across into the other lane and stopped. I stopped flipping about the same time I guess, got my feet under me and skidded to a stop.. then ran and picked the bike up.

Ivan was right behind me followed by Russ.. all I remember was as I was just about to hit the guardrail, then remember the back of my helmet hitting the pavement a bit as I was rolling. The fairing took the brunt of it. I'm going to try to have it fixed.. I haven't seen another one like it. The frame of it is still mostly intact. The bottom half of the left sidecover got ground off along with one of my pickup coils, ruined the gear shifter, pegs, turn signals, mufflers (One side hit the guardrail, other side got ground down). It also broke the engine case where the bottom two bolts hold that sidecover on.

I have some bruising and scrapes... today seems to be the worst yet. It seems I stuck my hands out to break my fall and have either jammed badly or broke my left wrist. It has swollen enough to immobilize itself and I feel no grinding or popping or displacement, but still may get it checked when I get home if it doesn't get better soon. I just can't make a fist or grip anything right now very well. Besides that, I'm doing good. I had insulated coveralls on and a padded riding jacket, along with my helmet. My gloves were... sitting in my lap.. lol. My wrists, hands, and knees got some rash and I have some bruises popping up all over me.. but my wrist and ribs hurt the worst. Well.. pretty much most of my left side hurts.. lol. Sneezing is sooo much fun.

Some of you may remember me saying how I didn't like the Elite 3 as a front tire. It was blown out at the impact, so that takes care of that.. lol. BUT.. I told of how there was probably 3 times the rubber and weight to this tire as my last one and the sidewalls were very thick. Well, with a hole in the sidewall of this tire and zero tire pressure, the tire only appears to look about half flat. I was able to use a rope and have the bike pulled back to the hotel parking lot behind Russ' bike. This does say a lot about this tire. You can have a sudden catastrophic blowout of this Elite 3, but you will be able to ride it to the side of the road.. and even could see someone continue riding it at a slow speed to where they needed to get it. It doesn't wobble side to side like most flats. THAT impressed the heck out of me. If only it worked better in the rain... I can't take a pic to show you.. my camera was in my pocket and destroyed in the wreck.. lol.

I have everything I need to get the bike fixed except that Shoei fairing. I have a guy that says he can fix anything fiberglass, so we shall see. I also want to try to find someone who will weld up the aluminum case to where I can drill and tap it for the bolts.

So.. that's my story. On the mend and will be back home tomorrow night.

Tod
    Last edited by trbig; 03-27-2010, 05:19 PM.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Wow..sorry to hear about the accident Tod. I'm glad you came thru mostly in one piece.

The "hot button" topics threads would be way more boring if you weren't around to stir things up.

Get home safe!
    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Bummer Tod,
      I'm glad you are still around to type ......with one finger now.lol
      You guys on the other end of the country are hard on equipment eh?
      Hope your wrist isn't broke.I know that hurts, I broke mine years ago
      falling off a roof.Oh and the ribs suck too.
      Well hope you heal quick.
      Rick
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Sorry to hear. Glad you are around to tell the story. Heal quick. Get the bike fixed ad ride again.

Ozz
        Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
        Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
        Pod Filters
        DynoJet Kit
        T.C.'s Fuse Block
        Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
        Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
        V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Basic Instinct/Reaction

Tod...Dude....DuUUude??

How many fingers am I holdin' up??

Good to hear that you were oriented and "ambulatory" after the mishap. IMO likely cause you had the right instincts to "abandon" that line you chose in the curve and consciously "bail". Would of been a different tale if you held on to the line and low-sided in to the rail, eh?

Good signs that you were mentally and physically "up-to-speed/focused" at the time instead of daydreaming bout butterflies. My salute to ya for that.

Sounds like the wrist is gonna mean a few sick days off from work though. Can't you tell your boss that you slipped in the shower?? (Helps to say you weren't alone in the lathering frenzy..DAMHIK.)

Too bad it'll mess with your X-Box "recuperative therapy".

Comment

Well at least you weren't alone and wasn't too bad. And those ribs will take about 2 months to heal, no big deal, but the wrist might need a look. Glad you're ok enough to still be an AH. The one engine that runs good and you have to destroy it!!!!
            http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Hey AH! What the HELL were you thinking?

That 11 AIN'T a dirt bike!

Getting all beat up before MoM was a real GREAT Idea!

Good thing you didn't land on your a$$ or there could have been brain damage.

Glad your ok bro'...................later.

Comment

And you can buy a new Shoei GF-2 fairing for $468..... but I know that will never happen!

http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/...i_products.htm

http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Todd, i hope you heal well, and soon. If you are like me, the age has a lot to do with the healing. Glad to hear you are ok though.
                  1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                  1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                  A quick death and an easy one.
                  A pretty girl and an honest one.
                  A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Way to hang in there Todd all the best and a speedy recovery. It's nice you were able to tell your own story it just won't be the same without your wealth of knowledge and your 2 cents that you generously offer to us all when you feel the need I hope it doesn't take you too long to get everything back together and on the road again. All the best
                    BDF Special
                    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                      You can have a sudden catastrophic blowout of this Elite 3, but you will be able to ride it to the side of the road.. and even could see someone continue riding it at a slow speed to where they needed to get it. It doesn't wobble side to side like most flats.
                      Okay, Tod, that's a great tire report! I don't think I want to see your Chicken Skin writeup until you work out a few small bugs in the... the test.

Get well soon!

Regards,

Scott
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                        Okay, Tod, that's a great tire report! I don't think I want to see your Chicken Skin writeup until you work out a few small bugs in the... the test.

Get well soon!

Regards,

Scott
                        That was close, I thought Todd was trying to sneak in another tire thread
                        BDF Special
                        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Wow, Tod! I'm glad you came out of it in as good a condition as you did. I hope this doesn't make it so you can't make it to the MOTM. Heal quick, and hopefully, the bike will too.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

Sorry to hear about the mess you made of yourself and the bike. I was looking forward to meeting the human part of you at MOM, but maybe that will have to wait until later. Hope you heal soon.

As to your bike, I'll be stopping at A&A Salvage in OKC next Saturday when I get my new tires. If you want, I'll check and see if they have any parts you might need and/or pick them up for ya.

Let me know if you need anything else.
                            1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                            2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
                              That was close, I thought Todd was trying to sneak in another tire thread
                              At least he didn't crack the case or he would have started an oil and tire thread....

Egads,

Scott
                              -- Scott
                              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                              1979 XS1100F: parts
                              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X