Newbie ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie ?

hello im new and need a little help ive got a coil going bad and im going to get a set of dynas to replace the coils i know the factory coils are 1.5 ohm but what is the value of the ballast resister as i want to eliminate it and need to know what what ohm it is so i can get the right ohm coils thanks TONY

If the coils you are putting on are 3 ohm (most are but check first), just bypass the ballast by disconnecting it and plugging the 2 ends of the wiring harness together. Might want to also check the pick up coil wires under the left side ignition cover. They can break inside the insulation and cause symtoms like a bad coil would.

Tech tip:
    http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...pictorial.html
    Last edited by bikerphil; 03-16-2010, 06:14 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      If the coils you are putting on are 3 ohm (most are but check first), just bypass the ballast by disconnecting it and plugging the 2 ends of the wiring harness together. Might want to also check the pick up coil wires under the left side ignition cover. They can break inside the insulation and cause symtoms like a bad coil would.

Tech tip:
      http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...pictorial.html
      yea thanks for the heads up on the side cover deal been reading alot on here and i thank thats most lickly my problem but i would like to get better coils anyways... so the resister is a 1.5 ohm resistor?

Comment

Yep, It's supposed to be 1.5, my spare one reads 1.8
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Welcome to Ch 11

Hey BareKnuckle,
          Hope you get the coil issue taken care of. Where in FL are you? Maybe those of us here can help out.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Just a thought.Are you sure you have a coil going bad or is it the pickup wires?Welcome aboard! Terry
            1980 special (Phyllis)
            1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
              Hey BareKnuckle,
              Hope you get the coil issue taken care of. Where in FL are you? Maybe those of us here can help out.
              cobia
              i live in st cloud (10 min south of orlando) were are you at?

Comment

Cobia is in Jupiter and I'm in Pompano Beach. Welcome to the board.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Working...
                X