Rider down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doug,
    Thanks for all your updates. I haven't been able to log on 'til just this morning, and I'm just now reading this horrible news about Don!

Don, So sorry to hear this happened to ya , Man!
    My thoughts & prayers are w/ ya.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Wish there weren't so many miles between us... just know I'm there in 'spirit'.

Hope they round ya up some earplugs fast. After being w/ my Dad in an ICU for many months, I know about all the warning bells and such.

Dang, having sleep apnea to go with where ya are is a double slam! Hospitals seem to always know about the time you doze off.... they'll give ya all the good med stuff that makes you drowsy...then come in and wake ya up... but adding that on top...
    Here's hoping you get well soon.
    Bob
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident! Very happy to hear it was not worse. Looking forward to seeing you back online soon. Take care and get well soon.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

The problem with two point engine guards is...

...they don't work that well. Here's the pics so we can start doing some damage assessment. I've got a brand new set of handlebars that I'll donate.

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Man it's the pits going down. Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!

Deny
          1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
          1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Don,

Here's wishing a speedy recovery. Have extra blinkers to donate. May have other stuff. will take a look. Let me know and I will get a care package together.
            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
            Original except:
            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Doug

Appreciate the info and help. I am too far to be of much aid other than parts but if you can get a list I will ship what I have. Give an addy to receive goods, please.
              '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
              Original except:
              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
              Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
              All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
              Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Before you plan on any rebuilding, take a VERY close look at the frame. Especially there at the steering neck/triple tree area. Also... make sure he even wants to rebuild.

Speedy recovery Don.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Good advice on the frame. When I talked to Don yesterday he said he definitely wants to fix it.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

When GuardRails Attack..

DGXSER,

I can understand the guardrail hitting you but when it took a piece outta you IMO it went too far.

I say bide your time. Heal yourself quietly and patiently. Don't give anyone a clue that you're up to anything: you know, that "Live-and-let-live" mentality.

Then, one year from the day of the attack, you return to that guardrail with a battery powered saws-all and take a hefty chunk outta it.

Make sure to use a dull blade and go real slow.

(a sinister "Mwuah ha ha" every now and again adds to the experience.)

Comment

Looking at the photos, I don't think the upper frame is hurt. Looks like the handle bars took the brunt of the forces, and the rest hit low on the bike. It SHOULD be rebuild able with new outside bits, except for the head (fins) and the triple tree. I would think the complete top of the forks, headlight, mount ears, and gauges will all need to be replaced.
                      This BIG problem is the human body. It HURTS when you have that much wrong, and the meds will be hard to get off of. Take care Don, and we will all be thinking of you! And yes, I DO have a few parts, if you need some. They are from a '79 Special, so let me know.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I can't tell by the photos but I'm guessing Don's front fender is trashed. I have a spare that's in great shape I will donate.

I hear ya on the not being able to sleep. I went through that too with the alarms for the breathing stopping. They had me on some pretty severe meds when I tore my legs up in '04.

Sorry to hear about all the injured ribs. My dad fell down some marble stairs at his church a couple of years ago. 6 discs injured, two ribs out of place. Definitely not the time for a sneezing attack.

Don O
                        currently own;
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Amazingly enough the fenders look pretty good. Better than mine, come to think of it . The front one had a little dirt on it, but it wasn't bent. I think what happened is that he hit the slippery stuff on the road, and the bike went down on it's left side crunching the engine guard and the timing cover. When he slid off the road he said there was about a 10" drop onto the shoulder and I think the bike flipped onto the other side when it went over the edge, ejected him ala high side, and crunched the other engine guard and the alternator cover.

He's still in the ICU, but he said at this point it's because they don't have another bed for him. Most of our conversation was spent talking about how we're going to fix Thunderstruck, if that tells you anything. He's a pretty tough fella.

Sorry to hear about all the injured ribs. My dad fell down some marble stairs at his church a couple of years ago. 6 discs injured, two ribs out of place. Definitely not the time for a sneezing attack.
                          Nor is it a good time to have me come visit. I'd say something and he would laugh, grimace, and hit the button .
                          Last edited by dbeardslee; 03-14-2010, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Someone needs to take him a laptop.....

.... that would be the best medicine!

Screwin' with the hospital staff COULD be dangerous.

We're used to it.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your unload Don. get better soon, will keep you in our prayers.
                              Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
                              XS1100LG Precious current
                              XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
                              KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

I've got a frame reflector that's by the horn. Let me know if you/he wants it. Don't know if they are left or right side.
                                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X