No announcement yet.

Rider down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. Get well soon!
    Dave
    1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Looks like the site's fixed, so I'm back. I got a message from Don yesterday and he said they still have to put his collar bone back together. Matt and I are planning to visit him tonight, so we should no more later.

I had tried to call Don earlier on the day of the accident. I figure he was laying there in the weeds, and just pushed the talk button on his phone and it went to me. He was in obvious pain, and at first I thought he was just screwing with me. Then he managed to catch his breath and he said "I'm down, man. I'm not joking." I asked him where he was, and if he had called 911. He said "I'm going to right now." He called 911, and I did as well 'cause I wasn't sure he was going to stay awake long enough. I called him back a few minutes later, and other people had showed up and he sounded pretty normal. I don't think he wanted to show any pain in front of witnesses. Don's evidently a lot like a cat - he won't let you know when he's hurt, but you'll find him an hour later behind the couch going f@#kin' meow, man.

Anyway, more after we talk to the man himself.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

You are in my prayers Don. Hope you come back stronger, and better than before.
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight
        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
        A quick death and an easy one.
        A pretty girl and an honest one.
        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I just spoke to Don, and here's the story: He was riding on route 8 in KY (a notoriously twisty road) and he got off the road a bit, saw he was headed for gravel and tried to stand the bike up to stop in a straight line. Unfortunately when the wheels hit the gravel things went haywire. He said he wasn't sure exactly what happened next as things progressed rapidly and he found himself laying in the weeds. Final toll on his injuries are two broken bones in his lower leg (don't know if it's left or right), broken collar bone, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 broken ribs. His head, neck and back all checked out OK. He is in good spirits, and says he's out of the woods - just has to heal.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
            He is in good spirits, and says he's out of the woods - just has to heal.
            Yeah! That's great news, Doug! Clumsy... get well soon, Don!

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

Good thoughts and prayers from central Ca. Get well soon. I always hate to hear about someone being down, we have been having too many down from this group recently.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks for the update . I wish and like many of us Canucks that we were closer to offer and help in anyway. If there is anything he needs to recover personal or bike I would be glad to assist in anyway I can to help make his recovery easier. Good luck Don !!!

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                I just spoke to Don, and here's the story: He was riding on route 8 in KY (a notoriously twisty road) and he got off the road a bit, saw he was headed for gravel and tried to stand the bike up to stop in a straight line. Unfortunately when the wheels hit the gravel things went haywire. He said he wasn't sure exactly what happened next as things progressed rapidly and he found himself laying in the weeds. Final toll on his injuries are two broken bones in his lower leg (don't know if it's left or right), broken collar bone, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 broken ribs. His head, neck and back all checked out OK. He is in good spirits, and says he's out of the woods - just has to heal.
                BDF Special
                80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Get Well Soon

Doug,

Get well soon from MidMichigan.
                  Bikes Now.
                  80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
                  79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
                  83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
                  83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
                  08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Originally posted by yamtom View Post
                    Doug,

Get well soon from MidMichigan.
                    Heh..heh..Doug's OK (I suppose) Don's the one that's broken.

Comment

Ive cracked 2 ribs and the pain was bad enuff
                      to break 8 - 10 ribs as well as the other breaks
                      must be excruciating, hope the drugs are working well.
                      hope u heal fast.
                      pete

new owner of
                      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                      zrx carbs
                      18mm float height
                      145 main jets
                      38 pilots
                      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

My only words of advice. They will ask over and over again if you smoke. DO NOT jokingly say "Yeah about 8-10 packs a day." They will start trying to administer some weird stuff to help you come off the nicotine easy. Supposedly its bad if you aren't loaded on nicotine.

Also, if they ask whether you were wearing a helmet for the 97th time, use your middle finger to indicate how many you were (or could have been) wearing. After that they will stop asking stupid questions.

Also, if you want some entertainment in the ICU, just say "You know, since this accident, my pee tastes kinda funny."

Glad to hear he's doing better, and I have lots more stuff to help pass the time if need be...
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

well, Doug got down to see Don, I tried but got held up in the aftermath of a wreck on I-75 so I missed visiting hours by about 10 minutes. Doug said don was in good spirits and had the magic pain reliever button by his bed, the leg was a compound fracture of his lower right? leg, 8-10 broken ribs and a broken or dislocated collar bone, he is apparently in good spirits, I tried like hell to get there in time, but time wasn't having any of my nonsense. I am going to try again to get down there this weekend, hopefully I can get a better update for all those who are interested. that is all I got for now, have a nice day and ride safe
                          I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

I got in to see our boy this evening, and he looks pretty good considering what he's been through. They put a pin in his leg because, as Don put it, he left a little piece of himself by the side of the road. Evidently it was a compound fracture and he lost a piece of bone that they replaced with steel. He's also sporting some new steel in his collar bone. He said the reason he's in intensive care is because his lungs are bruised, so they're keeping an eye on him. His main complaint is that he can't sleep (didn't someone mention that?). He said he found out in the hospital that he's got sleep apnea, so every time he falls asleep and stops breathing, the bells and whistles go off, and they come in and wake him up. I asked him if he wanted me to bring him anything and he said "yeah - ear plugs. They have to listen to these alarms. I don't." He definitely hasn't lost his sense of humor.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Doug. Although it could be better, that's none the less, good news.

All the best for a speedy recovery, Don and, a quick escape from the 'inane' asylum

1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                              1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                              1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
                              1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                              2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Lorax,

Don't hurry too much or you could wind up in the bed next door to Don..

Decent news though. Except for the missing piece of bone....

Our best wishes go out to you brother.

Rodger & Deb
                                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
                                X