Stupid Drivers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Drivers!!!

Ok this happened about 2 weeks ago and its still on my mind.
    The situation:
    I was riding my bike, as usual on 395 north coming into carson city. They way the lights are set up, there is a light that will come on and flash if the light further up is about to change to yellow/red. I was in the right hand lane, riding towards the left of the lane, this is my preferred lane position when in the right lane. The "prepare to stop" light came on just as I was passing under it so I started slowing down in preparation for the "red" light. As I was slowing the woman driving the car behind me suddenly pulls onto the right shoulder/right side of my lane and proceeds to pass me going 5 or so mph faster then I am. Of course as soon as I noticed her I slowed down more so she would get around me faster. I was MAD. As we pull up to the now red light I pulled into the left lane along side her and motioned for her to roll down her window. She looked at me and then turned away, refusing to acknowledge my existence.

My plan was to , as calmly as possible (ok probably yell), ask why she didn't think I was entitled to a full lane and if she knew that she could have killed me doing something stupid like that. At the next light I again pulled up along side her in the other lane and she continued to ignore me, even though I was honking and motioning for her to roll her window down. Now at the next light she turned left into a shopping center, I didn't follow her but I was very tempted to, as I knew she would be getting out of her car where she couldn't so easily avoid me.

What would you all have done? I'm a bit short tempered so I'm glad I was able to limit my reaction to trying to get her to talk to me. I try to remember that I'm representing "all motorcyclists" when I ride.

Typing this I'm all worked up again, I just can't imagine what she was thinking!
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Being that she wouldn't talk to you I could see where some expressive hand signing would have been perfectly acceptable.

But.......that's just me.

Comment

Jump

Up and down on the bonnet while loudly enquiring "can you see me now?"

Comment

Originally posted by cueball View Post
        Up and down on the bonnet while loudly enquiring "can you see me now?"
        We don't see many people wearing bonnets here in the States.

I think I would have honked as she passed, swerving to the left to give her the lane (and avoid being hit), then glared at her at the stop, shrugging my arms/shoulders, and shaking my head. Of course, in my full-face, it's hard to be very expressive.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I see you left home without your toy gun with rubber darts that say dumb A$$ on them. Tisk, Tisk, Tisk
          "Do the right thing, even if nobody's looking"

SR500E Black
          XS750SF Carmine Red
          XS1100SF Mustang Red Metalic
          (Bob worked on this one)

Comment

Yet again

It becomes necessary to translate English into American. Bonnet = hood. Down here 'hood' is short for hoodlum (bad boys).

Comment

"hood" doesn't have such a good conotation here either
              "Do the right thing, even if nobody's looking"

SR500E Black
              XS750SF Carmine Red
              XS1100SF Mustang Red Metalic
              (Bob worked on this one)

Comment

I used to have a friend that used to keep a couple 5/8" hex nuts in his left hand pocket of his jacket when riding. Just the right size for getting someone's attention.

Something to think about.
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
                  I used to have a friend that used to keep a couple 5/8" hex nuts in his left hand pocket of his jacket when riding. Just the right size for getting someone's attention.

Something to think about.
                  My father in law always talks about "ball bearings" he used to carry, however that method is only really effective if your: A. Moving at some speed and B. In front of the offender. Neither really applies to this situation, plus I'm a little hesitant to provoke the rage of someone driving something that could easily kill me without significant effort or damage on their part. Although I suppose if you were in front of them you could just twist the right hand and it would be hard for them to keep up.
                  1979 xs1100 Special -
                  Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                  Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                  My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

I had a similar experience in my first year of riding. I was in the right land travelling in the right section as i was about to make a right turn. Just before I made the turn, a car passed me on the left, in my lane, close enough that I could have punched their passenger window. If I hadn't needed parts from the bike shop just around the corner at nearly closing time, I would have likely followed them to give them what ever I could spare of my mind.
                    K. Johnson
                    -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
                    triple clean and boots
                    -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
                    replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
                    -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
                    $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

Unless I was sure I could get away, I'd probably limit myself to a honk and glare.
                      Originally posted by Star Wars Episode III
                      "Let the wookie win."
                      Angry people in crowded places usually lead to dead bodies.

Not saying you're anger wasn't/isn't justified though.
                      1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                      2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

I make it a habit to not ride in any specific place in a lane, instead I move around within the lane constantly changing locations to use the whole lane when I'm riding, that way they are less apt to want to try to share it with you. Especially if they think your drunk.
                        Fastmover
                        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                        lion". SHL
                        78 XS1100e

Comment

You probably avoided being charged with either assault or stalking by driving on by the parking lot. Glad your better judgment came to the fore.
                          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

I just get away from the idiots and let it go.
                            You can't fix stupid.
                            XS1100SF
                            XS1100F

Comment

My way of thiinking as well

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
                              I just get away from the idiots and let it go.
                              You can't fix stupid.
                              couldn't be put any better.
                              Stewing over this one will compromise your concentration and, the next incident may be due to your own distraction.

Keep your head and stay alive
                              Rick
                              XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
                              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
                              650SF
                              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
                              XS1100SG Project bike
                              http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X