Wife's Bike 'Isadora' is done!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife's Bike 'Isadora' is done!!

Pretty much But they are never really done, are they?

It has been a good little project. The thing runs and handles well. Now, to get her on it and get some riding lessons out of the way...
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Nice job, and fast! Those are some funky bars, take some gettin' used to.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The Polite Laws of Physics

Tha's just Sooo Kee-yuute!!

I'm a little disturbed about how quickly you were able to go from concept to execution on this project but when love is involved I sure time passes differently.

Just a warning: When you discuss the how/why of what you've done to the bike with your lovely bride or maybe others, the topic of horsepower to weight ratio will come up.

Make sure to be clear that reducing the overall weight of the bike was not or nor ever will be directly/indirectly connected to the weight of the lady rider.

Comment

WOW that looks great!!! I gotta tell you I got a little concerned when you went with that orange on the frame but man it came together nicely.

Where did you get that tail light???????? I WANT ONE!!!
        My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
        1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
        1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
        1981 Suzuki GS550 E
        1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

Comment

WOW nice job

Cant believe how fast you did that. Bet she loves it.

John in San Antonio
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by t71ford View Post
            Pretty much But they are never really done, are they?
            It has been a good little project. The thing runs and handles well. Now, to get her on it and get some riding lessons out of the way...
            Hi t71,
            that is one pretty little bike. Just love the colour scheme.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
              Just a warning: When you discuss the how/why of what you've done to the bike with your lovely bride or maybe others, the topic of horsepower to weight ratio will come up.

Make sure to be clear that reducing the overall weight of the bike was not or nor ever will be directly/indirectly connected to the weight of the lady rider.
              !!!

If he's been married any amount of time, he should know that!

Nice job! Any idea how much weight you shed? Musta been a bit...

'78E original owner
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments! It has been a pretty quick trip, but there has not been a lot else to do right now. I also have a bit of A.D.D that kicks in on these projects, and I get a little posessed by the project Thank goodness the wife understands that Now that this one is done, I have a few other tank painting projects I need to get done.

The taillight came from Kapsco Moto. I bought it off E-bay, though. I really hate sticky-outy turn signals, and this was just the ticket, as it is all the functions in one.The license plate light proved a little "bright" for the Highway Patrol There was not a lot he could do about it, since it was completely legal. I did disable a few LEDS in the license light to avoid future problems, though.

Fred: I kind of figured you would like the color. And I love the way you spell "colour"

That is good advice, Larry, and not just for bikes!

I am not sure yet on the weight savings. I am going to brin my scale home and weigh the pile of stripped parts, just to see. I am guessing the bike weighs about 350# wet. I can move it around pretty easy by picking up either end. And then I go to move the XS1100...
                Last edited by T99Ford; 02-28-2010, 12:56 AM.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Very nice bike! I especially like the paint job on the tank:

Must have been hours of airbrush work there to get that red brick look, and that handlebar looks so real...
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Ha! Ken is funny...

Oh, and nice Job on the bike!
                    Gone but never Forgotten:
                    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

SWMBOs bike

So, SWMBO got her license, and I restored a 1982 XJ650J Maxim for her.

Here is the before picture, the day I "rode" her home...

And how Whole Lotta Rosie looks now:

This 650 is so fast!
                      Gone but never Forgotten:
                      1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                      2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                      2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Wow that all happened fast. It would take me the better part of a year to do all that. I'll bet she loves it. You do good work. Now I think a matching xs11 is in order....without the flower though.
                        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                        79 DT 100

Comment

Handlebars

Very nice job indeed!!! Are you sure the handlebars aren't upside down?? hehe
                          78 XS1100E Standard
                          Coca Cola Red
                          Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

hard to believe that is the same bike!! that really really really looks great! i bet your wife is so proud of her new ride.
                            1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

Comment

The airbrush work on that was interminable

Skippy: Nice job on the transformation! It looks like a lot of work went into that one. And the black is nice!

Hmmm....I never thought about another XS11. That is a pretty good idea. She kind of owes me now, too...

As far as proud and happy, I think these say it all:

Disclaimer: She does not ride without a helmet. This was in a parking lot in first gear only! But she was pretty proud that she had actually got it moving. I wanted here to not be encumbered by the helmet in addition to all of the other things she was going to have to familiarize herself with at once. Once we get to shifting and increasing speed, she will be wearing a helmet
                              Last edited by T99Ford; 02-28-2010, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X