anyone here ever expatriated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here ever expatriated?

interesting topic and something i've given some serious thought to. not that i have anything against the u.s. but i really think about it.

wonderin if anyone here ever expatriated and how did that work for you??

mind you i would be very selective about where i expatted to.

any input appreciated.

thanks
    redbone
    testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

If you've got nothing against it, then why are you thinking about it?

I guess all I gotta say is.. don't let the door hit ya in the azz!

I can see this thread needing moved to the hot button topics thread in a hurry.. lol.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

lol
      Only if you keeping stirring the pot...

One of the members here went down south... I want to say Belize, but could be mistaken...
      He loved it there... the main problem were the restrictions regarding property ownership by aliens (not the green kind) and very few rights. Everything was pretty well contained in the community of ex pats that lived there...

I can try and reach him if you're interested... unless someone with more knowledge comes in...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Pushing The Buttons But No Effect.

I am so close to the US/Canadian border that I can see the Peace Arch when I stick my head out of the hatch of my sailboat. My choice to be so close to the border is deliberate.

I have considered choosing another country as my permanent home but only after a long look at the way things are going in both countries. In particular I am totally distressed with the way that although I may not like the way things are going in my current home, my ability to affect any meaningful change: VOTING, hasn't proven effective for the moment. All I've been able to accomplish is to remove my current government representatives who have disappointed me with new ones who have yet to disappoint me. The overall course of my current nation remains unchanged.

That's a big let down for me cause the "founders" of my country built in a series of checks and balances in the government departments along with giving me the ability to vote for/against the ones in control. Ideally, that should give me some control and a voice in what's going on and where things are headed. But in actual practice that hasn't been the result. Like pushing a button or turning a wheel which no longer is connected to anything.

So in the spirit of the founders who were guys who knew how to find a skunk in a woodpile and what to do about it, I'm considering voting again. Not with my voice in a community meeting, nor with my hand at the voting booth, but with my FEET. They knew that sometimes talking or other reasonable/rational methods can be futile cause I believe that they all had some small experience in dealing with a government/leader who behaved like a bully on a fifth grade playground.

I haven't left yet. That's cause I just want to make sure that all of the guys who were there to sign the Declaration of Independence would look me in the eye and approve of my action. That's a tough call with seeing what's been happening in the country over the line which I tend to look at in a "grass is greener on the other side kinda way."

If our country does do anything which I feel truly pushes things past the point of no return and we're heading for that proverbial brick wall with our heads down between our legs then I'm ready for it. Not to go through the crash but rather to exit the vehicle before the impact.

Then I can be of assistance to the survivors. See? It's not all about ME-ME-ME. I do have a strong sense of community and empathy for others.

Comment

Comment

Naw,

I'll wait till they move it to the HOT topics.
            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
            Original except:
            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Damhik,

If you got it , give him the address Kat.
              Original except:
              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

Just for kicks... let's say that this post was maybe written by someone who say... wanted to move to a tropical area and leave the hustle and bustle of life as they know it behind... or maybe move to the great white north because after record breaking snowfall, they decided that, indeed, they really enjoy being knee deep in the white stuff... not as some political statement...

Now if this was actually meant to be some sort of politically charged thread... just let me know and I'll be glad to move it to the other forum... otherwise... let's give it the benefit of the doubt and not turn it into a political thing... k?

Thanks
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

since you breached the topic,

or maybe move to the great white north because after record breaking snowfall, they decided that, indeed, they really enjoy being knee deep in the white stuff
                  Really having problems wrapping my mind around that one. We had about 48 hours worth and everyone I know was a cussing it.
                  Original except:

Big John

Comment

Yup, that is one of the reasons I moved down here, to get away from the frigid northland.

I've also lived in the far north western part of Washington. It rained most of the time I was there.

Depressing. That could make you feel a little paranoid also I think.

Comment

The OTHER option..

Ok. I'll go with leaving any political fubars behind. I"m retired with my own income. I really do have a choice of anywhere in the world to go. As I own a sailboat, here's an option I truly considered:

Yup. La Paz, Mexico on the Baja peninsula. I know others that have their boats moored there and live year round. Nice weather. Shrimp that are so big it's SCARY. Good exchange on the USD.

What's not to like??

The details for patriation are a little complicated but one can co-exist/live here indefinitely without having to say good-bye to the pledge of allegiance. Haven't seen any XS members here on the locator map tho...
                      Last edited by Larrym; 02-24-2010, 07:10 PM.

Comment

You can go visit someplace warmer. You don't have to expatriate to do so or to stay for an extended period.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Just remember the infamous words in XJOK2PLAY's signature..............

"I used to have me a Maximum... rode it to Mexico... Don't ever ride no Maximum to Mexico, boy."

Comment

Baja Washboard Roads?

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                            Just remember the infamous words in XJOK2PLAY's signature..............

"I used to have me a Maximum... rode it to Mexico... Don't ever ride no Maximum to Mexico, boy."
                            Great advice and one of the major reasons La Paz was downgraded as an option. I just can't see my XS as ready for the kind of roads there.

Never to go over 60 Mph again??? Ever??!

I'm not ready for a moped or a golf-cart.

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                              Great advice and one of the major reasons La Paz was downgraded as an option. I just can't see my XS as ready for the kind of roads there.

Never to go over 60 Mph again??? Ever??!

I'm not ready for a moped or a golf-cart.
                              Yeah, Australia and New Zealand sound better all the time. But then I hear they are murder on speeding down there.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X