New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
    I did go through a full set of ink cartridges printing them out though.
    I forget what it's like to use inkjet printers! I haven't used one in ages... My color laserjet cranks through reams of paper, and never complains.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

To I-5 and Beyond!!!

'Lo Jim,

I don't ride in the rain either. As we're both near the largest temperate rainforest left on the planet that does put a damper on the number of riding days.

Nice pic of the bike. When it's good to go I'll be sure to keep an eye peeled for you in the diamond lane.

Not that any XS could go past with out my own personal radar going on full alert.

Comment

I re-disassembled the switch and was able to effortlessly remove 4 of 5 wires attaching to the 4way/turnsignal switch. The solders are shot. I'll have to re solder them, ick!

Thanks for the compliments on the bike. I hope I'll have a chance to ride with some of the XS gang. I'm a new rider, though I've had two prior bikes. Bad luck. But I just can't shake the habit! My fiancee made me buy another one since I wouldn't shut up about them! I figured the XS is a great way to get into it. Enough power for fun but not ridiculous (like all modern 1000cc sportbikes...) power. Plus the look and feel of a musclebike are unbeatable.
        1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post
          I re-disassembled the switch and was able to effortlessly remove 4 of 5 wires attaching to the 4way/turnsignal switch. The solders are shot. I'll have to re solder them, ick!

Thanks for the compliments on the bike. I hope I'll have a chance to ride with some of the XS gang. I'm a new rider, though I've had two prior bikes. Bad luck. But I just can't shake the habit! My fiancee made me buy another one since I wouldn't shut up about them! I figured the XS is a great way to get into it. Enough power for fun but not ridiculous (like all modern 1000cc sportbikes...) power. Plus the look and feel of a musclebike are unbeatable.
          Yup, those will get ya! I redid mine, and I think the only one that wasn't loose is loose now. I'll be pulling it apart again this weekend to work on it and if it is I'll solder it again. If that don't last, then I'll figure out a way to replace the switch, maybe with something on the fairing.

My turns are working reliably now, but the 4 ways stopped working about a month ago.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I had to do the same thing last summer. 4-way had been working, then I tried it and it wasn't! I ended up taking it apart and cleaning/resoldering all the connections. Then I packed it with dielectric grease. Works great now!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

I soldered my switch and voila! All gravy! Now it shouldn't need anything other than normal services in another 2.5k!
              1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Jim, sharp bike, nice seat.
                79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                79 DT 100

Comment

That's what I did with it. (both of them actually) and they came out pretty good. I did go through a full set of ink cartridges printing them out though. Nice thing is, my new canon printer does double sided very nicely, so I just had to start it up, and when it got done I 3 hole punched them and put them in a loose leaf binder.
                  Hi Cy,
                  it never occurred to me to print the thing out.
                  Don't it cost more for ink cartridges etc. etc. than to go buy the book?
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Cy,
                    it never occurred to me to print the thing out.
                    Don't it cost more for ink cartridges etc. etc. than to go buy the book?
                    Couldn't even find the book to buy, other than in electronic form for about $22. And that was the haynes, so I might still buy it, but the electronic form isn't really much use when working on the bike, I don't really want to get my laptop all greasy
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Couldn't even find the book to buy, other than in electronic form for about $22. And that was the haynes, so I might still buy it, but the electronic form isn't really much use when working on the bike, I don't really want to get my laptop all greasy
                      Hy Cy,
                      the grease will wash off, just don't drop the cylinder head on it.
                      BUT, your library loans service will find you one to look at.
                      Then type in ALIBRIS in your search engine.
                      Those guys can find you just about anything that's ever been printed.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hy Cy,
                        the grease will wash off, just don't drop the cylinder head on it.
                        BUT, your library loans service will find you one to look at.
                        Then type in ALIBRIS in your search engine.
                        Those guys can find you just about anything that's ever been printed.
                        Grease, Oil, Gas and such don't mix well with sensitive electronics. The paper version works better for that. Since I have it all printed out, and in a loose leaf binder besides, it's all good now. And if I get a page too dirty to use, I can print out that page and replace it.

Try that with a store bought dead tree copy.
                        Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        750 FD Mod
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

And if I get a page too dirty to use, I can print out that page and replace it.
                          That's how I find the important pages! They are the ones with the most grease on them! My cookbooks are the same way - except a different kind of grease.
                          Last edited by CatatonicBug; 02-26-2010, 03:24 PM.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                            That's how I find the important pages! They are the ones with the most grease on them!
                            Or at least their the ones that you use the most.
                            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            750 FD Mod
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
                            X