New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy

Hi all! My name is Jim and my base is Seattle, Wa. Just bought a real clean 1980 XS11 and have put 20+ hours on it in the last four days... Looking forward to schmoozing and browsing the site! I'll try to get some pics of the bike up. I have to clean it and put it away until another window of sunny weather opens up for all of us in the rainy N.W.
    1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Welcome aboard!
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Welcome to CH 11 Jim. Here in the overly snowy midwest, we'll take your rainy problems happily!! Glad you got to enjoy the bike that much already!
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Welcome to channel 11!! There are a few owners up in your area, so you may find someone to ride with. I get up that way about once a year for family, just not on the bike every time.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Welcome to the forum! If you need a manual, it's a free download from my website (linked in my signature). If you need parts, we have a resident used parts supplier in your neck of the woods (andreashweiss), along with a few other folks. We do like pictures, so show us what you've got!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Hey Jim, Welcome to the site!

Deny
            1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
            1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_llzBrVSsmr...1600-h/086.JPG

There's the best pic I have at the moment... At least until the sun comes out again anyways.

Thanks for the welcomes and the down low on parts and the manual. I was actually just about to order a Clymer! You saved me some bucks! I'll probably be contacting the parts guy, I need a turn signal switch. Only the righties work and no bulb or ground issues I can find. I haven't ridden for only a day and I'm already broken-hearted. I don't have the juevos to ride in the rain anymore, had an accident three years back that makes me paranoid in the rain. Plus, dropping such a fine old musclebike would be a sin. I'm very excited to get to know some people and wrench on the old gal.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post
                http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_llzBrVSsmr...1600-h/086.JPG

There's the best pic I have at the moment... At least until the sun comes out again anyways.

Thanks for the welcomes and the down low on parts and the manual. I was actually just about to order a Clymer! You saved me some bucks! I'll probably be contacting the parts guy, I need a turn signal switch. Only the righties work and no bulb or ground issues I can find. I haven't ridden for only a day and I'm already broken-hearted. I don't have the juevos to ride in the rain anymore, had an accident three years back that makes me paranoid in the rain. Plus, dropping such a fine old musclebike would be a sin. I'm very excited to get to know some people and wrench on the old gal.
                Hi Jim and welcome,
                That's one pretty bike, my XS11SG ain't nowhere near that shiny.
                For a sure-fire way to not lay your treasure down on wet roads hit the "search" button and type in "sidecar attachment".
                While 'Bug's freebie download is a great resource, an actual printed manual sometimes works better.
                And what's $22.50 + postage these days?
                Did you check the flasher bulb's wattage? Less than 27W in both bulbs and they come on but don't flash.
                MikesXS left control can be bought new but it don't have the 4-way switch. It may be your only option if you can't find a used one.
                Last edited by fredintoon; 02-24-2010, 11:33 AM.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

...I don't have the juevos to ride in the rain anymore, had an accident three years back that makes me paranoid in the rain. Plus, dropping such a fine old musclebike would be a sin. I'm very excited to get to know some people and wrench on the old gal.
                  Ah, another web-footed Wa****onian! There's a few of us here (I'm south of you, 30 miles east of Oly) and if we get a few more on this side of the mountains we'll have enough for a get-together.

And I quit riding in the rain years ago; these other guys don't realize we don't get that nice warm rain, ours is too-often cold/nasty. Besides, ride in the rain and you'll have to clean all the road film off that pretty Special; 10 minutes in the rain will wipe out a whole weekend of cleaning...

'78E original owner
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    Ah, another web-footed Wa****onian!
                    Oh, that's cute; the censor won't let me spell the whole word!

'78E original owner
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

All Right,

great choise of bikes and coming here is a source that is unbeatable. That bike is really good looking. If anything has ever happen to a XS11, some one here knows how to fix it, inprove it, and make it look better! You are like most of us here, we get nervous when we get more that 10 feet from our rides.
                      Ole Jack
                      J.D."Jack" Smith
                      1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                      1978E straight job
                      "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Very nice ride you've got there!! Expect some envy from the rest of the crowd around here.

I'll probably be contacting the parts guy, I need a turn signal switch.
                        Have you taken the switch apart? It's full of tiny moving electrical parts that get corroded over time. If you open it up and clean out the corrosion, you may find that it works just fine!

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        While 'Bug's freebie download is a great resource, an actual printed manual sometimes works better.
                        The idea is that you print it out and take it out to the garage with you. I edited it so it works great when printed double-sided. Most printers can handle that nowadays, even if you have to put the paper back through again to do the second side.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

I actually did take it apart already, but I might try it again for practice value and to see if I can get it working. To be honest, the first time I was in a fat ole hurry to hop on the thing and roll. 60+ degrees and sunshine in Feb in this country is RARE! Now that its doom and gloom I'll give it more effort. The switch has actually actuated the left signal twice in the last four days, so I bet I just didn't do a good enough jorb. It helps that I only ride in the day too. Left hand signals are easy enough. I never believed the "crash trauma" stories until it happened to me. Summer nights I'll do, but other than that nights and slippery conditions aren't worth it. I have a beautiful fiancee to worry about!

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                            The idea is that you print it out and take it out to the garage with you. I edited it so it works great when printed double-sided. Most printers can handle that nowadays, even if you have to put the paper back through again to do the second side.
                            That's what I did with it. (both of them actually) and they came out pretty good. I did go through a full set of ink cartridges printing them out though. Nice thing is, my new canon printer does double sided very nicely, so I just had to start it up, and when it got done I 3 hole punched them and put them in a loose leaf binder.
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Man alive thats a nice bike - I just can't believe what great condition some find these ole bikes in, & to be able to ride it right away - what a thrill. Mine was a rust bucket when I got it. Great for you that you can still ride the odd time right now. - Dan
                              '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                              1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                              Rebuilt head, valves
                              TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                              Tkat Fork Brace
                              T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                              Dyna Coils & wires
                              Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                              ISO grips with stelleto ends
                              4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                              Bridgestone Spitfires
                              Tuned by Tinman905
                              & a will to keep it.

Comment

Working...
                              X