Riding pants question me vs. SWMBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding pants question me vs. SWMBO

My wife got me a brand new pair of Joe Rocket riding pants to match my jacket as a Valentines Day/Birthday present. Problem is, she asked me what size pants I wear and kept it a big secret. Now i have a pair of riding pants in my jeans size. They'll fit over jeans. . . barely. She's bound and determined that you're not supposed to wear pants/jeans with the riding pants. I'm telling her she's wrong. If I go and take them back without her approval to get a bigger size I'll never hear the end of it. Can I get some backup here? btw here's the jacket and pants. . .

1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Those do not look like the "overall" type riding pants that we typically see. They look very much like road racing pants and if so they do not go over your jeans.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
      Those do not look like the "overall" type riding pants that we typically see. They look very much like road racing pants and if so they do not go over your jeans.
      Rob
      Yeah, but there's nothing that says I can't wear them over right? The Joe Rocket stuff is typically marketed toward the road racing guys, that and crotch rocket guys who wanna look cool I wanted it for the protection, they zip at the waist and have the armor inserts all over the place.
      1980 XS11SG

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
        Yeah, but there's nothing that says I can't wear them over right? The Joe Rocket stuff is typically marketed toward the road racing guys, that and crotch rocket guys who wanna look cool I wanted it for the protection, they zip at the waist and have the armor inserts all over the place.
        If you wear them over your jeans you will likely find them too warm unless in it's early spring or late fall. Ether way, your going to have to ride FASTER now eh
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Joe Nameth

Under those pants??

SummerTime: Boxers or tighty whities.

Spring and Fall:

Seriously: Polypropylene Long johns when the weather get's chilly.

Comment

I agree the leather pants are not intended to be over jeans ( they are yours you do what you want) I know some guys wear polypropolene (sp) long underwear under them for comfort both summer and winter (wicks sweat)
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
              If you wear them over your jeans you will likely find them too warm unless in it's early spring or late fall. Ether way, your going to have to ride FASTER now eh
              Rob
              Well since I'm already the coolest guy on the block I guess I'll have to wear them to go faster, draggin knees. . . . mufflers and center stands etc. trying to keep up with Russ, Harry, and Ivan on the way from Cassoday. lol there's a sporty little bike up the street from me I may have to look into buying, it didn't move all year last year. . . .
              Last edited by BigDick; 02-17-2010, 10:29 PM.
              1980 XS11SG

Comment

Well since I'm already the coolest guy on the block I guess I'll have to wear them to go faster, draggin knees. . . . mufflers and center stands etc. trying to keep up with Russ, Harry, and Ivan on the way from Cassoday. lol there's a sporty little bike up the street from me I may have to look into buying, it didn't move all year last year. . . .
                Hey, BD...

First off... if you're trying to keep up w/ those guys... you better bring your 'A' game for sure! HeHe... and your bike better be up for the challenge, too!

As much as I hate to say it... it looks like they're not the ventilated type of riding pants like I have. They look great for cold weather riding, but I bet they'll be hot in the summer. If you plan to use them in hot weather, you won't want to wear jeans underneath.

What you might consider... is using them w/o pants under them in the winter, (maybe just long johns or something...) and going w/ the ventelated ballistic mesh type for the summer. The one's I got have a zip out, removable liner for dual purpose... just not Joe Rocket. They're Mossi's. Great for both cold or hot, though!

Bet you'll look cool in those leather pants, though!
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

As a First Gear Rider, I don't know that much about Joe Rocket. I DO know that I only wear the MESH pants, OVER my jeans, or shorts in the summer. I gave up leather a LONG time ago. The newer materials are great for road riding, and WILL last if you slide along the road.
                  Good luck keeping up with the other guys, as we old riders can still show the young riders how it's done from time to time.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I guess I'm in disagreement with the others, like others. My thoughts are that those would indeed be warm if stopped.. and being as such, when I got to where I was going, I would want to peel them off. It would be nicer for those around if there was something besides underwear.. or worse yet comando... Plus... sweating into those after a few days without jeans soaking that up.. and no way really to wash them.. they would get really funky.

I've never seen these up close, but it looks from the pic, like those are very low riding on the hips, and would almost require you to have jeans or something underneath so you don't look like a plumber when bent over on the seat. Is it just me, or does it look like thehip straps would hook through some belt loops?

And finally, I would suggest you go get a bigger size.. just because you'll be riding around mostly guys.. and I find it doubtful that anyone wants to see another guy in tight leather pants..

Except maybe Bob here...

Bet you'll look cool in those leather pants, though!

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I just bought a pair of MESH pants from CycleGear a few weeks ago. I literally asked the same question to their online customer service folks. They said that the solid pants are not usually worn over your jeans (or other pants), but are usually worn AS your pants. The mesh pants can be used either way, either over your pants, or AS your pants (assuming the mesh is strategically located )

I have worn my mesh pants over slacks in 20ºF weather, and it really helped keep me warm. However, I am worried that if I wear jeans under them in the summer, I will roast! I will have to experiment with shorts this summer. No way I would attempt to wear leather pants OVER jeans, especially in the summer. Besides, to take them off, you have to take off your boots anyway, so I'd rather leave them on until I was done wearing them for the day.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                        And finally, I would suggest you go get a bigger size.. just because you'll be riding around mostly guys.. and I find it doubtful that anyone wants to see another guy in tight leather pants..

Except maybe Bob here...

Tod
                        Yeah boy... thanks Tod.......

(ya jerk... )

You know you're the only one that secretly has that sort a fetish, anyways...

What is the old saying when someone tries to redirect attention like that ??? Ohhh yeah... 'Methinks the boy doth protest too much...' Come on.... your turn.... hehehehe
                        Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 02-18-2010, 09:25 AM.
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Does anyone remember the episode of Friends with Ross and the leather pants? I think that explains the importance of wearing something underneath, Check with the manufacturer's sizing recommendations they'll usually tell you how they are cut. Unless stated by the manufacture that they are cut loose, I always buy my riding apparel one size larger, so I have room for layering and to prevent binding, which is important for comfortable riding.
                          Fastmover
                          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                          lion". SHL
                          78 XS1100e

Comment

....She's bound and determined that you're not supposed to wear pants/jeans with the riding pants. I'm telling her she's wrong.....
                            Find the ugliest shorts you possibly can to wear under them....

'78E orginal owner
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I guess my thought is that in the time stuff all goes wrong, the more layers between me and the cheese grater pavement, the better.
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X