Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Name Game

Hi Guys/Gals,

I bought a vehicle 3 years ago and still don't know what to call it other than "MOBY-The Great White Whale". It's not a truck nor a van but rather the combination of the two. National Coach sticker from Chino, California says it's an MPV. (Multi-Purpose-Vehicle???). Don't be fooled by the Chevy grill...I had to make do with that. 1985 GMC Vandura 3500 is the front. The middle section is a bench seat which folds into a bed/sleeper section. The back...?????

Originally some of these vehicles had a fifth wheel mounted in the truckbed for towing large loads but mine came without it. The large boxes mounted on the truckbed sides are my own design/construction so I can carry gear. OFC the XS1100 rides in the back when I go cross country.

What is it called....really?

Ive searched the Web for three years now and nothing has proved useful. Not saying that it isn't there....Just that wherever it is I haven't found it.

TIA..

I don't know just what these were called, but these were fairly popular towing rigs with the fifth-wheel trailer set before the crew-cab pickups became so common. You could bring along gramma or the kids, as it's not legal in most states to have passengers in trailers. Also used to see these at racetracks, doing basically the same duty.

I think you can still get these on a special-order basis, as some like the fact these are quite a bit shorter than the pickups.

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Chevrolet/GMC used to, don't know if they still do,make a similar rig but it had a flat bed w/5th wheel.

They called it the "Western Hauler"

Crew cab setup with ALL the bells and whistles. CD, DVD, fridge, bed, hot and cold running hookers.

Everything a man could want.

Comment

I recall something about this vehicle having the name "Dreamer" but not much more than that.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

How about

"Fugly"

Comment

There used to be a place here in Portland that sold those with a 5th wheel and called them tow vehicles. A van is a type of truck so if all else fails, it's still a truck...

Tony
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I think it was made somewhere near San Francisco, they called it a Tranny.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Probably just a cab and chassis that was sent to an up fitter, much the sam way as conversion vans and RVs are made.

If you are looking for parts, good luck. At least you know the base model and the upfitters. Problem is that upfitters come and go like Disney Channel singers. If that's an 85, chances are you won't find that company in business any more. Although National Coach does sound somewhat familiar from my days of wrench bending.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I don't know Larry. Maybe call it Moose, or Duece, or how about dunno. Doesn't look like the mileage would be much over 10 MPG though.
                  1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                  1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                  A quick death and an easy one.
                  A pretty girl and an honest one.
                  A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Before the Boxes...

Here's what it looked like before I added the storage modules:

Everything behind the original Van portion is made of FG except for the truck bed which is diamond-plate.

crazy steve,

Don't know about grandma but for sure the PO brought the kids. When I stripped out/re-did the interior I found candy wrappers and hair barrettes all over. The wheelbase is extended longer than a stock van...Prob'ly close to the longest PU trucks.

XSokieSPECIAL,

I've never heard of "Western Hauler" before. Thanks for that tip. I checked out their website and will contact them in the hopes they might know something. My version has a second battery with a custom 12 volt distribution panel so I've got lights, internet, TV, etc. No fridge though: gotta drink those beers before they get warm.

Ivan,

Yep. The original fitter is no longer in business and National coach operates under the same name but with no connection to the original Chino, California guys. So if someone crashes into me anywhere other than the front then I'm SOL.

BTW...I wish Justin Timberlake would just go away and stay gone...

XS1100 Newbie,

On the last 7 state trip with the XS in the back and loaded modules I got 15 Mpg whether I went uphill, flatland, or downhill. (Has something to do with the taller than standard tires and the alternate differential gearing: the next step up from the original 4/11.) Had to use a GPS to get true overland measurements cause the speedo doesn't read true.

Fugly? Tran? Vruck? Trandura? Vantrucka? Lot's more over the years...and more to come I'm sure.

Thanks all for the help.

Comment

Hey Larry,

Regardless of what you decide to eventually call it... look on the bright side...
                      if the (truck?) ever breaks down, ya got a mighty nice, dependable back up mode of transportation in the back end!!!

Good lookin' 11.

Cool truck. I like it, cause it's 'unique'... somethin' ya don't see every day... kind of like... an 11 !
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Remove Before Flight!!

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                        Hey Larry,

Regardless of what you decide to eventually call it... look on the bright side...
                        if the (truck?) ever breaks down, ya got a mighty nice, dependable back up mode of transportation in the back end!!!

Good lookin' 11.

Cool truck. I like it, cause it's 'unique'... somethin' ya don't see every day... kind of like... an 11 !
                        The XS isn't the back-up mode: Its the primary vehicle for wherever I end up. Truck is parked, the heavy duty ramps get pulled out, and the XS does its roll out. The Pre-Flight check sure gets a lot of attention.

It's SO easy to entertain the WalMart crowd ...

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                          The XS isn't the back-up mode: Its the primary vehicle for wherever I end up. Truck is parked, the heavy duty ramps get pulled out, and the XS does its roll out. The Pre-Flight check sure gets a lot of attention.

It's SO easy to entertain the WalMart crowd ...

HeHeheHe.....
                          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

It looks like a Van-dually
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                              ...The wheelbase is extended longer than a stock van...Prob'ly close to the longest PU trucks...
                              This rig was built on a motorhome/box van chassis; that's the only way you'd ever see a van with dual rear wheels. Although it was never really a van...

'78E original owner
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X