No announcement yet.

what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fall on the side of caution and experience. You can sell to who you want to, but I would want to sell to a "mature" rider, that let the chips fall where they may. I started on a Trail 50 at 10. Street bikes, a kz400, then a kz900. I would suggest that one start on a 250-500cc range standard.
    '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

Selling an XS

I sell Hondas & Yamahas to pay the bills. every day i'm faced with "is this too much bike for this kid"?

Remember these:
      Dad:>>>>>That thing'll kill ya son.
      Mom: >>>>Over my dead body.
      SWMBO:>>Have you lost your feeble mind?
      US: My money, i'll buy it if i want to.

Bottom line- we bought them, we rode them, and we'd all do it again. you can't and shouldn't stop him from buying your bike or any other, they're only as dangerous as you make them. But do make him aware of the respect demanded by these bikes, And any local safety courses offered. If you don't someone else will and he may not care enough to tell the kid anything.

30 year rider....... still grin from ear to ear after 30 miles
      10 year sales...... i get as excited as the buyer does, every time.
      Unless you are the lead sled dog the view never changes.

Comment

thanks for all the input guys... I went for a cruise yesterday (230 miles) I am thinking the best solution is just to keep it
        buffalo
        80 XS1100SG

Comment

HURRAH ! ! ! ! !

I am happy to see that you have come to your sences.

I for one think you have made a wise choice and remained a well respected member of this group.
          wpc57

'81LH Midnight Special "Margret"

I ain't as good as I once was..but I am as good once as I ever was.... (Toby Keith)

Comment

OK great!!! When do you want to get together and put some more miles on?
            Harley Dave

1978 XS1100E
            2003 YZF-R1

Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.
            Cullen Hightower

Comment

Awesome. Choice...... and the crowd cheers
              Madness comes from within.

78 XS 1100 E (at Birth) "Madness"
              79 XS1100 parts bike "hunk of junk"
              83 Sportster "Lunacy"
              72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

I started on an xj1100 and had no problems. I now ride a Harley. Honestly a Bigger bike is easier to handle. I rode my wifes 550 Nighthawk and could not believe the difference in handling.The heavier bike was much easier to ride. Just my 2 cents from a guy who started on an xj1100.

Comment

I would sell the bike, not that I'd let mine go !

There's alot of people out there that learned how to ride an XS and have gone to newer and more modern bikes, only to sell the newer bike and keep on riding the XS.

XSively,
                  Bruce
                  Bruce Gerken
                  '79 XS1100SF
                  "The Black"
                  '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                  The Red Sled.
                  St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

I have to admit. I havent owned a bike in 10 years my XS is actually my first street bike and I LOVE IT!!! XSive power
                    Madness comes from within.

78 XS 1100 E (at Birth) "Madness"
                    79 XS1100 parts bike "hunk of junk"
                    83 Sportster "Lunacy"
                    72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

sellxs

Hi buffalo, I have to say I started out with a 74 500 yammy twin. The eight valve twin. I graduated to a 77 650 yammy. Nice machine. I traded it in for my 79 xs to which I presently own. ive driven a lot of bikes in my day.Actually a visit to the bike grave yard is for me a memory museum.Lots of inteceptor tanks hanging about.Back to my point I sold my 500 to a buddy of mine .He killed it. Abused it. I could never sell to afriend unless he was to take care of some thing I loved. If i ever sold my xs it would be to a stranger a 100 miles away. Never want to seeit again.( wont happen though. )Id love to sell to someone who has a passion for a big four.The xs is still a powerful machine. Not as nimble as a unit with 16 inch treads. Yet a little muscle and concentration off the on ramps and you can send yourself to 140kph in a fewshort yards. this( selling) is a judgement call . The xs aint light in wieght and you have to know what your doing. Its intimidating to any rookie. He( the buyer) better live a 100 miles away from me, cause, if he's all rooster I dont want to hear whats happened to him. Whats that last line in cycle mag 1978. "Respect this bike or youll find yourself reaped by the whirl wind." guess i have a concience, mostly for the bike, and have learned a sense of my own mortality.Hope this helps.
                      Best wishes
                      Steve

Comment

I'd sell. My first bike was my 1100. I do not think it is the bike that makes a rider dangerous- it's the other drivers that are the danger. An idiot rider can be more dangerous no matter what size the bike is. All my bikes have a different feel-so I think you get used to what you ride. Sell it -maybe recommend a rider safety course if he is new to riding.
                        Jason K.
                        '80 XS1100G
                        '80 XS850LG
                        '96 FZR600

Comment

Working...
                        X