Not good at all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not good at all.

While tearing the engine down on my 79 Special I found yet another unforeseen problem. The primary, (or HY-Vo) chain is very stretched. I can move it about a full inch with no effort at all. I went to the Yamaha dealer and found that this part is no longer available. Do any of you have one that you would be willing to sell new or good used? If so please drop me an e-mail (ironride_1100@hotmail.com). I know this should be listed in the classified ads section of this site but for some odd reason it would not recognize my membership there. Thanks.
    Ironride
    79 XS1100SF
    80 GS850G
    69 CB750 Four
    Never over-powered…just under controlled.

The classifieds use a different login, you have to register there as well as here. They were started at different times and don't use the same data base. You can use the same password and stuff but you need to put it in seperately.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I got my primary chain with the bike. I can check with my yamaha dealer on monday, if you wish. The guy I bought the bike from got the chain from austria/germany. The original one was stretched an inch or so and had one of the middle links missing. I still have it, but it's more or less useless... just as an ornament or sth.
      Replace the camchain while you're at it.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Classified Ads

Gary,
        Thanks for the heads up on how to use the classified ads section of this site. I should have figured that for myself, but to be honest I wasn't thinking very straight that day. I just got back from the Yamaha dealer and was really bummed out thinking I may have to put my scooter to rest.
        Ironride
        79 XS1100SF
        80 GS850G
        69 CB750 Four

Comment

Never say die!

Storm,
          If you want to see if the primary chain is still available on your side of the world I would appreciate it. I had plans to replace the cam chain also as you suggested but was told that it too was no longer available. I refuse to accept this as an answer. My 79 will be back on the road again. Their has got to be parts out there some where, even if their after market. If worse comes to worse I'll start checking all the scrap yards for a good used Hy-Vo and cam chain. Let me know what your Yamaha dealer says. Just to let you know the parts are still listed in the price list but when the parts man went to order them on the computer, that is when they came up no longer available.
          Ironride
          79 XS1100SF
          80 GS850G
          69 CB750 Four

Comment

Re: Never say die!

Originally posted by Ironride
            I had plans to replace the cam chain also as you suggested but was told that it too was no longer available. I refuse to accept this as an answer. .
            Not sure what size chain is used for the cam chain, but it is just a standard roller chain. Size should be printed on the links, and should be available in bulk at an industrial supply house. Count how many links you need, and then put it together with a peened over masterlink. HI-vo isn't that easy unfortunately.
            Brian
            1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
            1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
            remembering the same thing!

Comment

This place lists cam chains for the XS11. www.partsnmore.com

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Is Hy-vo a brand name?
                '80 XS 1100SG

Comment

Hy-vo chain on ebay from a 1980

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2425810951
                  Gary
                  79sf
                  78e

Comment

chain

Chain is on partsnmore.com like stated above. $32.00 US.
                    Hope to see ya on the road again soon.

Cuda_phish1
                    A Happy Barracuda on nitrous!

Comment

Originally posted by Racer X
                      Is Hy-vo a brand name?
                      Hi-Vo stands for High Velocity. It is a multilink chain. Not a brand name as far as I know.

Gary Granger
                      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                      X