Shipping through Greyhound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping through Greyhound

I know there has been some discussion about shipping some of the bulkier bike parts through Greyhound but has anyone shipped anything more fragile??

I doubt the parcels on UPS or USPS get treated any different if they are stamped "Fragile". I have recieved some that looked like they were kicked all the way to my house. I was thinking about the expense.

I was wondering about having a box shippied through Greyhound that weighs about 50 lbs .

Anyone have any experience.

Thanks for the help.

Rodger
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Care Package

I used GH to ship an entire STD Bagger set up: Fairing, bags, trunk, etc.

Fiberglass parts arrived undamaged/without new cracks. I packed the items as if they were fragile.

Comment

If you don't mind; what did you have to pay for the shipping?

I just did a rough guess on their shipping calculator and It looks like it is more than UPS! Using total weight (50 lbs), Largest box size (24 inches) and declared value ($450),shipping is listed as $52 and change. That is standard shipping. I think UPS puts it at around $45.

Everything on hold...

Comment

Hey, Larry, my package is in Seattle! You aren't coming down through Ca anytime soon are you?

Everything on hold...

Comment

The only downside to shipping by GH is that you have to go to the bus station and pick up the packages yourself...And given where most of these stations are located...you'd be better off having a company deliver it...I never use UPS as they are way too expensive compared to FEDEX or even USPS.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The Space Noodle???

Gawd! I wish!!

Stuck in the rainforest here for the season. Trip delayed and cancelled due to oral surgery. (See the wisdom teeth thread...)

I don't recall the $$$ amount but I do remember it was less than half UPS. Plus the boxes were way oversize for UPS. That's where the major $$$ charges came from.

Comment

GH shipping

Rodger,
              I sold and shipped a Yammy fairing from FL to CA. It was a 3'X3'X3' box that UPS and all the other cargo companies wanted 3 to 4 hundred bucks to handle. Even a freight consolidator wanted $250 for the shipment.
              GH handled it for $50.... True, I had to take it to the station and the recipient had to pick it up, but the savings more than made up for it. BTW - there were no damages and the package remained on the same bus for the entire trip.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I did the UPS shipping calculator for a package with a long side of 24 inches weighing 50 pounds and with a value of 500.00 standard = $67.85.

Guess I should have done that first. Going to have a piece of electronic equipment shipped. Just checked USPS and the cost came out to be around $27.00 to $31.00. This didn't include ins. though. Probably turn out to be the same.

Everything on hold...

Comment

I shipped a frame on a bus one time. From PA to Tx. I had to box it and when it got there he said it looked like they drug it behind the bus!! When he opened it up all was fine.
                  79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                  80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                  80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                  79 DT 100

Comment

That's because it goes under the bus with the luggage. Same guys handle it too, with about the same consideration.

I was in Fargo, ND once and had a ten hour layover. When I inquired about chow around town, he pointed out a couple places, and then kindly told me not to eat the fish anywhere, since the places in town got their fish shipped in under the buses.
                    1978 XS1100
                    "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

Comment

Working...
                    X