The Grotto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xs11jack View Post
    John, some people here don't seem to understand the difference between "Stuff," and junk....
    That's easy! 'Stuff' is the things you can find and know what it's for (or possible future use), and 'Junk' is the things you can't find and/or don't know why you have them....

I finally learned; the key is finding it all. Big rollaway (with labeled drawers), anything boxed for storage gets labeled with the contents. Shelves, drawers, any kind of off-the-floor storage is good.

And 'Junk' isn't always worthless; I did a major reorganization/houseclean a few years ago in my 'man cave' and my trip to the metal recyclers netted me over $1000....

Yep, I had a lot of junk....

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Wow,

$1000 would be a lot of junk! I have a compartment-ized (new word?) memory so even if I have not used something for years I can still tell someone where it's at.
      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
        $1000 would be a lot of junk! I have a compartment-ized (new word?) memory so even if I have not used something for years I can still tell someone where it's at.
        Yeah, and this spring I'm due to head down there again. I've got two dead Jag V-12 motors I'm going to strip and recycle. I think they're going to prove to be worth more as scrap than they are as complete assemblies. Only Jaguar could manage to build an 5.3L all-aluminum motor that weighs 700 lbs!

And if you can remember where everything you have is, that just proves you haven't 'acquired' enough yet! LOLOL!!!

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Steve,

I would think you could sell them to a rebuilder for more.
          Original except:
          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
            I would think you could sell them to a rebuilder for more.
            I wish. No, there's almost no one putting rebuilt motors in these things as a rebuilt long block is currently going for about $6K and you can buy a very nice running/looking complete car for that much if not less. Add in the $2-3K for an install, and dead motors are worth nothing as it's way cheaper to just get another car. I did list them on my Jag forum, and had one offer for $150 for both. Seeing how I'll probably have 4-500 lbs of aluminum after they're stripped, I'll do better at the scrappy. Although I may keep one block and make a coffee table out of it; nice conversation piece!

The cars the dead motors are coming out of are both going to get V-8 transplants (a 'lump' as the purists refer to them) as that's usually the 'repair' of choice.

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Dog

Had a German Shepard when we lived in Cal. At thirteen he had the same symptoms as yours. We took him to the vet every three months, and then every month to let the vet give us his best estimate about his being in pain. When the vet said it was time, and we put him down, all of us were crying, even the vet and his assistant. It was really hard, that was nearly 20 years ago and as I write this, I have tears in my eyes. Special dog. Sorry.
              Ole Jack
              J.D."Jack" Smith
              1980G&S "Halfbreed"
              1978E straight job
              "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Jack,

Believe me, I understand. I have had a lot of dogs but never one near as good as this one.
                Original except:

Big John

Comment

Working...
                X