The Grotto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grotto

This is my shop. See, I told you I don't have any more room. I have a pic of the enlarged tank I have been working on and one of my guard dog. Now don't you all come down here at once! I get pics of the man cave.

http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/jmnjrpa/Grotto/
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Hey John,
    You still have lots of room in there.You still have more than a path.
    How many gallons do you think that tank will hold?I have been thinking about
    doing the same thing.Did you have problems with distortion when welding it?
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

John you have got WAAYYY to much "stuff".

I'll bet there is stuff there you haven't touched, let alone used, in.......years.

Although, if you need it, you got it!

Comment

Your'e right,

but it's a b##ch when you need it and don't have it.
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

Tarzan

I guess between 6 to 7 gal. I have worked sheet metal before but this was new to me. I am going to use Lab Metal instead of bondo so I can powder coat it. I brased it up with "0" silver solder. I have to look for leaks and redo any pin holes then sandblast it again for bonding/filler. It is a pretty time consuming job but, it will get me farther than the 4 gal tank. I tried to butt weld it and got too much distortion. I changed methods to overlapping a quarter to 3/8 inch and got much better results.
          Also I am patching with a heavier gage metal, about 2 gages up from the tank material.
          Last edited by jmnjrpa; 01-23-2010, 08:21 PM. Reason: added
          Original except:

Big John

Comment

It looks good.I really like the looks of the Special tank as opposed to the Standard tank.
            You should have enough gas to get a little sore before you
            run out.lol
            It will be real nice on long rides though.
            I think I could almost make it to Seattle from Spokane with that much fuel.
            I look forward to pics of the finished product installed.
            Rick
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Isn't it amassing how many tools one can collect up over a life time of DIY activities. I used to keep stuff on the wall like that as well. I decided to bit the bullet not long ago and buy a LARGE tool box. It holds 50% of what used to be on the wall. I also took my bench mounted tools like grinder, drill press and band saw off the bench and store them on shelves. I just remount them when I need them.
              It is however very nice to have everything where you can find it in a hurry and not have to mount and dismount bench tools for use.
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Good lookin shop there Jamminjerpa.
                I'd say I'm about 1/16 on my way to that, but by god I'm tryin'!!
                Joe

78XS1100

Comment

Looks a lot like my dad's shop. Except his stuff isn't glued to the walls like that! Some day, I'll inherit all his stuff, and I'll have to buy a warehouse just to store it all in... Of course, most of it I have no idea what it's used for.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                    ....Except his stuff isn't glued to the walls like that!
                    Neithers mine !! Should be.. but they're not....

Is that 3 Estwing claw hammers I see on your wall John? How many hands have you got...?? and how do you hold the nails..?? In your teeth...?
                    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Yep, I grabbed the camera quick.

Brian-Took me all day just to straighten up. Eswing makes the best. Have a 10oz, 16oz and sheetrock hammer. I have several tool pouches/belts and dedicated tool boxes under the tables and carts. I like your detailed tool outlines (my son did mine, and kids nowdays don't put pride in what they do). I have been known to put nails in my mouth.

CB and Rob - Look under the benches and carts. Most of my tools are in tool boxes. The wall is decoration. I also have some dedicated tool boxes like 1 for plumbing, 1 for finish carpentry, etc..

Nobody noticed the sound system??
                      Original except:

Big John

Comment

Actually,

notice how I have wheels on the carts and tables? The shop is only 14x20 so I roll the equipment out to the carport (2 sides are enclosed and 3 cars wide) to work when weather permits (which is most of the time). The carport has a couple wheeled tables (ex cable spools) and my powder oven on it and is wired for welding.

I do have another 16x20 building in back with concrete flooring but no A/C as of yet. It is just used for storage now but I am thinking about moving the sandblasting and painting out there.
                        Original except:

Big John

Comment

Bet nobody,

noticed the wood lathe behind the tables either.
                          Had a thought but wish I had lost it now. Talk about tool boxes got me to thinking I might need to sort mine. Forgot how many I had. Found eleven (11) total not counting the tool kits of which I have at least a half dozen. I know what I'm doing today. I was going to get pics of my man cave (computer room) but that will have to wait as the Grotto is calling.
                          Original except:

Big John

Comment

Very, Very fine.

John, some people here don't seem to understand the difference between "Stuff," and junk. I will admit that sometime only the owner can distingush between the two in his shop. OK one last time "Stuff" is good, junk is bad, got that boys and girls???
                            Now this is only a suggestion, but if you took down some of the pegboard that isn't fully utilized and put up shelves, you could store more Stuff. Overall, you did good!
                            Oh, I am not sure that I want to visit until AFTER the dog is fed!!! My wife, of course, wants to hug him!
                            Ole Jack
                            J.D."Jack" Smith
                            1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                            1978E straight job
                            "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Oh shelves?

I thought that was in the pics. I know I left out the (8) 4x7' shelves I have full in the storage building. Those don't count because they are 3/4 full of machinist tooling (I buy and resale) but 1 shelf is dedicated to powder coating. Projects is my middle name.

The dog is mostly looks now that he is 12 years old. He is still smart as a whip but he has a canine version of MS so his back legs don't work too good. Couldn't ask for a better dog.
                              Last edited by jmnjrpa; 01-24-2010, 01:41 PM. Reason: added
                              Original except:

Big John

Comment

Working...
                              X