Wisdom Teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisdom Teeth

So thanks to unofficial official Air Force policy, I now have no wisdom teeth. Or rather I don't have any left in my mouth (I asked for them back). The poll is who still has their wisdom teeth?

I'm posting this from swmbo's phone so the poll buttons may not work, in that case just chime in.
    Yes.
    19.51%
    Yes but they've been pulled.
    12.20%
    No, I had medical problems, they had to go.
    51.22%
    No, Uncle Sam said I didn't need them.
    14.63%
    Teeth?! I haven't had them since the third grade.
    2.44%
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

I have 1. But I only had 2 to begin with. Only the upper 2 developed in my mouth, no trace of the lowers. About 3 years ago, one started bugging me really bad. The tips had erupted several weeks before, but the back of my jaw eventually got so sore that I couldnt open my mouth. So I scheduled an appt with my dentist. I came in, he gave me a shot, then another shot. 5 minutes later he came back, grabbed a flathead screwdriver, wiggle, wiggle, pop. All done. Nice and easy. I didnt know what he was doing and didnt even realize he was starting, let alone that he was done already. I still have one left, it hasnt broken the gum yet. My mom didnt have hers removed until she was in her late 30s and only did it more out of convenience and to take advantage of her deductible being paid. They never caused any problems before.
    1981 XS11SH Custom Project - Juggernaut
    1990 FZR600 Hybrid Streetfighter - Lilith
    1996 FZR600 Custom Project
    1994 FZR600

Comment

The Navy removed mine after having trench mouth caused by them coming in. I was in the hospital for 4 weeks. Took two weeks to get the infection under control. Please no jokes about the trench mouth. LOL It was actualy called acute nucritizing gingervitus.
      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
      A quick death and an easy one.
      A pretty girl and an honest one.
      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Had mine (4) removed when I was 20. They were causing me pain, so my dentist said it would be "wise" to remove them. Don't know what happened to them.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Two of mine came in rotten.Painful and awful taste in my mouth.
          I was 23 or 24.Had just moved from Phoenix to Spokane, so had no insurance.
          The dentist charged me like $120 and pulled all three within about 10 minutes.I had already lost one before.
          Apparently when there isn't insurance it only takes one appointment
          to get something done.With insurance it takes two or three.lol
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I only ever had 3 of them. I tend to go long periods between dentist visits, so when I was 22, after 15 years of waiting my wisdom teeth all decided to come in compacted. I had IC sedation, and they pulled all 3, and did 8 fillings all at the same time. As bad as that sounds, I could have gone back to work the next day. IV sedation is the way to go with dental work!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Mine came out at the ripe old age of 14. Went to the dentist and they gave me sedation. Told me to count from 100 to 1 backwards and so I did, and when i got to 1 I asked when I was going to sleep. Was told "we are done" at which point I noticed the gauze packing in my mouth. Best dental experience ever!
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Where is the button for "had 'em removed with the rest of 'em so I could fit into the neighborhood!" For certain areas of our grand country where the Tooth brush is more than jsut a name.

Mine got yanked whne I was about 23 or so. Still recall sitting on the couch outside the operating room as the drugs they used to put me under were wearing off, and looking out the window at all the cardinals sitting in this tree. Funny thing was when I went back the dang doc had removed that window completely!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Beware the Domino Effect

I had all 4 removed at age 21. None had erupted yet but my dentist said that the two bottoms were coming in sideways and would begin to impact my lower rear molars. On his advice I went under and woke up with my mouth stuffed with cotton.

I'm soon to be age 51 and there have been some complications directly related to those extractions of 30 years ago. About 5 years ago the area directly behind one of my molars swelled up very painfully. The dentist prescribed penicillin and the symptoms went away. This cycle happened 3 more times on that same area with the same diagnosis/treatment. In the last 2 years the other side began acting up with the same symptoms. In all cases the dentist I had told me not to worry about it. He said that I had a "pocket" behind my molars as a result of the wisdom teeth extraction. (A pocket is a loose area where the gums don't fit tight around the tooth. Sort of like wearing a turtleneck with a loose/stretched area at the back of your neck.)

I moved and found a new dentist in my area. He found the problem in the first initial visit and scheduled me for an appointment with a periodontist. Though I had visited the dentist regularly, had cleanings, and my homecare was superb, I had to have the lower rear molars removed even though they were structurally sound. The pockets left from the wisdom teeth extraction had allowed debris to enter. This debris was acting like a splinter and getting infected even though at most times I experienced no pain or symptoms. The infection was eroding away the bone in my lower jaw. In Sept. 09 I went in for two more extractions

The 3D pics of the same tooth from different angles:

If the prior dentist had correctly diagnosed the situation and removed the debris initially at the regular cleanings, this perfectly good tooth and its partner would still be in my mouth.

Don't be afraid to tell your dentist to address those areas where the wisdom teeth were removed.

Comment

Originally posted by xs1100 newbie View Post
                    the navy removed mine after having trench mouth caused by them coming in. I was in the hospital for 4 weeks. Took two weeks to get the infection under control. Please no jokes about the trench mouth. Lol it was actualy called acute nucritizing gingervitus.

bad breath!
                    Last edited by XSokieSPECIAL; 01-19-2010, 08:38 PM.

Comment

The USMC pulled 3 out of 4 of mine during boot camp, even tho they were not bothering me in the least. #1 came out easy, #2 in pieces, #3 in pieces, they decided not to pull #4 at that time, and never went back to get it.
                      Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
                      '07 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post
                        The USMC pulled 3 out of 4 of mine during boot camp, even tho they were not bothering me in the least. #1 came out easy, #2 in pieces, #3 in pieces, they decided not to pull #4 at that time, and never went back to get it.
                        I may be wrong but I thought one of the marine mottos was " No soldier left behind" or something to that effect.

Comment

My dentist pulled all mine when I was in my mid 20s. He did them before they became a problem because at the time my insurance would not cover their removal if they were left in and became a problem. Their theory is that because their removal was covered, they should be removed BEFORE there is a complication with them. Go figure.
                          Hmmm, I wonder if the day will come when that insurance company will simply want you to have all your teeth pulled before they become a problem, or we will not cover removal. LOL LOL
                          Rob
                          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Two things that amaze me: 1.this thread has gotten so many replies 2.no one has chosen "teeth...third grade..."

I had iv sedation, they started the first med which made me lightheaded, by the time the second hit I was gone. I don't remember any of the procedure or going out to the car. The reason they said mine should come out because the wisdom teeth catch food between them and the next tooth, also the gap or "pocket" between the tooth and gum was deeper than it should be which catches food. One tooth had a small flap of gum over it. Two of mine had pieces of bone still stuck to them. One has the bottom tip of the root broken off.
                            1980 XS11SG
                            Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                            Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                            ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Jeez..if there was ever a thread that could make me nostalgic for a good oil/tyre thread, this would be it. You guys really need to get a grip. Or something. This forum is beginning to jump the shark...

Comment

Working...
                              X