Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Fast Do You Normally Drive?

Open Highway, minimal traffic.

If I am just out for a sunday drive, I normally drive at or below the posted speed limit. But at times will run up past 100 for a quick thrill.

If I am trying to get somewhere I tend to drive much faster.

On my way to visit my brother this last weekend on a 250 mile trip I ran 80 mph the first 70 miles on interstate, and on open (desolate) highway I ran between 80 & 100 mph depending on traffic. I felt very comfortable cruising along even at 100mph on this bike. Which is why I am considering getting rid of it. I very much enjoy the thrill of driving fast, but it scares the hell out of me to think what would happen if an animal were to jump out in front of me at these speeds.

(i tried making this a poll but I must have done something wrong as it never gave me any place to post choices. It said 'thank you for posting', then went back to the board and nothing was there.)

When two of my brothers and one friend with a camcorder visited a few years ago, we all decided to go riding and since I had the slowest bike (83 GS750T), the friend would ride with me while taping everything.

We rode around, some on the Interstate, filming stupid stuff like me doing 70 and then being passed by them doing 130+ - very fun, yet really stupid stuff like that.

Well, after we spotted some FHP in the median, it was time to go onto country roads.

Same stuff, I rode at 45-50 and was passed by the other two at 130+, but on the last run, my brother Dan (VFR750 I think) clicked along past us and as he was turning into a dot, all the sudden what looked like dirt or smoke started flying and we lost site of him.

We rolled up and thank goodness he was alright, apparently he hit a very large bird that was just sitting in the road, lost control, flew off the road, and managed to wrestle it back on road right before a huge pipe that lets water flow under a driveway would have really ruined his day...

We went back to see what kind of bird it was, but really couldnt tell...just some matted down feathers now imbedded into the pavement.

Well, at least it wasn't deer season.
    Last edited by Snow; 07-15-2003, 12:00 PM.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I just put some new tires on, so I've had no reservations taking it up over 90.. but normal cruising for me is around 75-78 on the highway. That's just my wind thrashing comfort zone. I rarely take it over 60 on back country roads. It's an old bike.. I don't want to kill it. It sure is nice knowing that the power is there when you need it though! See Ya!
      Randy (talcon)
      1979 XS1100 SF

Comment

Well... in my car I do bout:
        Normal roads.. 80-130 km/h (limit here is 90)
        Highway stuff 140-180 km/h (130)
        City.. depends on roads and conditions. Rarely within legal limits.

I havew to explain here that our legal limits suck. In austria or anywhere else, the speed limit signs make sense. Here they don't. They have to spend the budget on something, and they put up more useless signs.

OK.. on the bike... similar. Two up, it's nearer legal limits. Not just my ass on the line and I never really trust a pillion. I don't like taking stupid risks. Not even the not stupid ones.

On the XS... I havent gone past 130 kmh. Previous owner said the bike went into a massive wobble after that, so I aint trying till I get new tires.

On a test ride on a R1150R 200+ kmh. The guy on the RS didn't know what to think when I passed him And BTW: The bmw really sucks at any speed in excess of 150 km/h.

On my ex kawa GPz 600R (ZX600R) the highway speeds were anything you put your mind to. You could cruise at 180 kmh with one hand. Gotta get me another sport-tourer.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

How Fast will She Go

I have never considered myself a daredevil, but when I think about it, solo is at 80 to 100 mph depending on the location and traffic. When I ride with a group or even with someone behind me...usually about 50 to 60 mph. I have a group that tries to get together Sundays and ride a couple hundred miles and see the sights...kinda slow poke along and enjoy the day.

Then again...when I travel alone I guess I'm the black dot.
          81' XS1100LH
          I bought it for a bargain, now it is a prize.

Comment

Normal is about 5 mph over posted limit, which means around 80 on interstates, 60 - 70 on most other roads. Occasional blasts over 100, never tried to find final top end.

As I get older I tend to stay with the speed limits more and more......
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

5 mph over, everwhere except interstates, then I go 10 over or with the flow of traffic which ever is more.......
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Out here in Idaho.... there are plenty of long lonely stretches of road running out into pretty much no where. LOL

Out in the countryside where everything just appears so damned big.... I tend to allow my throttle to creep steadily faster. I easily find myself cruising at over 90mph at times.

On the highway.... I generally run with the flow of traffic.... which on average is anywhere from 5 to 15 miles over the 75mph speed limit. In town.... I keep right on the speed limit.... though... usually coming out of a light I exceed it by 10 or so miles an hour then let off quick to back down to the limit. I have a nasty habit of getting to the posted speed limit as fast as possible. LOL

I have run my old 78 standard in XS of 100mph on many occasions. I've done 30 or so mile long runs at 120mph. I've pushed it as high as 130mph though it was still pulling pretty damned good when I backed down. My old bike pulls very well up to around 95 and then tapers off a bit. From about 100 on... I have to crank the throttle as far as it will go to continue acceleration.

High speeds on the old bike don't bother me at all. I am used to riding snowmobiles at 75 - 100 mph in terrain that sometimes scares the hell out of me. Sometimes I am just forced to face the fact that I am an acceleration junkie. LOL
                1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

speed limit

I usually stay within posted speed limit by 5 mph or so. out on the interstate is totally different.If traffic is heavy I go with the flow. Last 2 trips I took are kind of out in the sticks so I open her up 75 to 100 I guess since my speedo only goes to 85.have never really found top end tho 3/4 throttle and still plenty left so I chicken out seems like i'm going mach3 as things seem to go by so fast.
                  when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                  80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

I just passed my mother in law coming to work this morning doing 90 in N. central Pa., speed beef country. I'll hear about this later. :-(
                    Highlander

Comment

That's hilarious! Maybe she didn't know it was you? You probably looked a little blurry flying by! LOL
                      Randy (talcon)
                      1979 XS1100 SF

Comment

Jeff,

I was at Mountain Home AFB in the late 60's and wore out the rode between Mountain Home and Boise with my Dodge Super Bee. My normal speed was 120mph and counted the mile markers with the second hand on the clock. (Every thirty seconds) In those days there was no one on the roads and sometimes made the 50 mile trip in less that 30 minutes and saw no other cars. On good days it would take less time when I was doing 140-150mph.

These days there is traffic everywhere and I am a little smarter. I drive, and ride, to avoid tickets and try to have a little fun at the same time.
                        Bill Murrin
                        Nashville, TN
                        1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                        1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                        2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                        1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                        2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Amen to all that Bill!
                          Garry
                          '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                          outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

anyone here from montana? i know just a few years ago they got rid of their speed limits for awhile. I was told their speed limit signs were replaced with signs that read "reasonable and safe" I think that only lasted about a year.

Comment

Yes... the feds raised a fit and threatened to pull their federal highway funding unless they returned to the national limit.
                              1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Working...
                              X