a couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple of questions

it is time to paint the pink beast! so, i off to pull the tank and sandblast it. i have the side covers laid out (i think) and through another post i have a great way to refinish those on the cheap. here are my questions. Should be no problem taking the tank off, but please let me know if there is anything that all of you remember to do because you have done it a million times, that i might miss because it is my first time.

I am also doing the exhaust because i can't ride the damn thing with the tank off so i might as well pull the exhaust and wrap that how i want it at the same time.

should i replace the gaskets at the engine when i pull it or just clean 'em a little?

can you sandblast the exhaust? i am going to wrap it with header wrap, so i don't want the chrome and it is dirty as h3II anyway. i am going to paint with some ceramic paint and then wrap them. i was thinking of heading to the bike junk yard here and seeing if there were anymore four-into-one's laying around, but if i can sandblast it, and paint it, why not? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
    1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

The tank is no big thing, just the fuel lines and the connector at the right rear of the tank for the fuel level light. Make sure the petcocks are in the off position before you pull the lines.

Replace the gaskets, they're cheap.

I painted my old 4 into 1 chrome exhaust. I just roughed it up with sandpaper, I don't know if sandblasting will be any better but I had to constantly touch it up. Paint doesn't stick to chrome worth a sh*t.

Comment

negatory sandblast

Hi 1st,
      drain the tank, unplug the fuel level sensor wire, take the fuel lines off the taps, remove the bolt at the back of the tank, lift up, pull back and the tank will be in your hands.
      The rubber sidewall bumpers may fall off, be sure not to lose them.
      Do NOT sandblast the pipes unless you are going to coat them with hi-temp paint afterwards. Unless it's painted, sandblasted steel will for sure rust underneath the wrap and then the rust will ooze out to look seriously ugly.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
      X